Forums Latest Members

Which Omega? Torn on Speedy's, Seamasters and 007

1. josephvman Jan 12, 2016

I've decided to sell my X-33 Solar Impulse, which gets virtually zero wrist time (worn 3-4 times since I got it six months ago) and replace it with a more classically-styled Omega. My collection is heavy with stainless sport Rolex's, and other than maybe another vintage Sub or two, and a Daytona that I hope to pickup after I sort out taxes this year (if there's anything left!) I'm pretty much done with those.

I was thinking that no collection is complete without a classic Speedmaster Professional, and was leaning in that direction, the basic hesalite 42mm on leather strap (I just don't care for the style of the Speedy bracelets at all, sorry) that I'd probably wear mostly on grey/black NATO.

I'm sort of smitten with the Speedmaster '57 though, being a sucker for vintage-inspired pieces (also have a Tudor Heritage Chrono blue and Black Bay Black). I really like the bracelet on this piece, the vintage lume, and I've never owned an Omega with the Coaxial movement. The added water resistance is also a big plus over the Speedy Pro. I don't need it to be a diver, but I also don't want to have to worry about getting into a pool with the watch I'm wearing. This is a concern of mine with the Speedy Pro, and one reason I decided to punt the X-33. I'm a bit worried that if I don't bond with the '57 that it's not a particularly easy watch to resell without taking a big loss, and that it's neither fish nor fowl in the Omega world, as there doesn't seem to be much interest in this piece on the forum here.

I need another diver like a hole in the head, but the "Spectre" is a captivating piece that I can't seem to shake. I generally don't care for contrived limited-edition pieces like this, but the very minor details between the Spectre and the standard Seamaster 300 Master Coaxial, along with the NATO strap have me thinking the Spectre is probably the way to go, and likely an easier sell if I want to flip out of it, at least in the short-term. The worry here is that it seems like they're making a lot of pieces, and while they're trending right now it may only be a matter of time before production hits its stride and a bunch of them hit the watch forum classifieds.

I realize these threads are annoying as hell, but any insight into these models or personal experiences might help me figure it out.

2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jan 12, 2016

i quite like the '57. it's a great modern take on an iconic watch.

...and you forgot one thing in your post. pictures.

SP_Speedmaster57_33110425101002_vueC_1600x900.jpg
    There are a few members here that prefer the modern lineup, though generally, it's mostly vintage.

there's even one member that has one of these and we are all eagerly awaiting his review of it!

3. Andreas Jan 13, 2016

The new 57 is a beauty! it looks way better than any other modern speedmaster in my opinion. have you tried it on/seen it in person? it looks even better that the pictures.
    Probably you are right about the resell value but judging by your collection/taste this one will be a keeper ;)

4. JLMedia Jan 13, 2016

I am interested to hear views as well.
    I feel such a hypocrite in some ways as I wasnt keen on the look of the broadarrow but given the fact that I first loved Breitlings and shunned the Subs until i 'actually' tried one on, now I probably wouldn't touch a Breitling and am in love with the simplicity of proper watches, I decided I really ought to try the classic broadarrow 57 Speedmaster.
    I fell in love, the leather strap is sublime, so soft, such a lovely deployment clasp. The colour of that strap looks stunning with the colour of the hands and markers. (I would be keen to see it in an alligator strap finish).
    I am seriously considering this as my fist purchase into luxury watches and whilst I know buying new is a fools move to some degree, I just kind of like the idea of a new one as my first and one that isnt going to cost me the earth.
    I am thinking of getting it this Sunday as thats my boys birthday (6 years old) the plan would be to give him my watch collection (when I actually get some) when he is much older and I like the fact that the first piece I buy is stamped with his birth date (just wish I had done it when he was born).

Anyway, here is a picture of it on my wrist. I have also included the moonwatch and the brown strap version without the broad arrow hands, nice but would probably go for a moonwatch with this colour instead.

Regards and look forward to hearing responses.

Jason

image.png image.jpeg

TJH likes this.
  5. Noles_88 Dog costume designer extraordinaire! Jan 13, 2016

I agree. That modern speedy is awesome.

6. hansmaulwurf Senior Snoopy Owner Jan 14, 2016

Go for the 'First Omega in Space' ... for me the nices one of the posted 3 watches and one big advantage: manual winding!
    Pure, easy, nice :thumbsup: First Omega in Space = First Speedy in your Collection ...

DSC_0950.jpg IMG_20151210_085634.jpg

TJH and npthaiduong like this.
  7. PatrickJ Jan 14, 2016

Manual wind hesalite Speedy. It is a great authentic tribute to the original, still worn in space and still to this day the only EVA flight qualified by NASA. The 1861 is a 321 without the coulomb wheel and some other differences but the ebaunche is still the same as it was all them years ago. Russian cosmanughts wore the current watch during a 2014 EVA, they are pictures on internet.

2015-12-16 13.11.25.jpg 2015-12-01 09.58.35.jpg 2015-12-16 13.10.59.jpg 2015-11-30 21.16.36.jpg
    CTS-V and hansmaulwurf like this.
  8. CTS-V Jan 14, 2016

^^^^YEAH!!!! THAT ONE!!!!!!

duc and PatrickJ like this.
  9. PatrickJ Jan 14, 2016

I got that from Omega Boutique in Regents Street, London and have never looked back. I do like the history behind it as you can see I have a strange habit of taking pictures of it. LOL

2015-12-03 22.05.56.jpg
    duc likes this.
  10. bgator Jan 14, 2016

FWIW, out of those choices I really like the Speedmaster '57. Someone mentioned the FOIS, and I like that one too. I would probably get either of those before the Speedy Pro.

11. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 14, 2016

The date window kills the '57 for me :-( If not for that, I think it would be my pick out of the 3. But because of it, I'd go FOIS for the 'new' and then pick up a '60s Speedy when I had more funds. FWIW, I have a pretty new Speedy Pro but I never wear it as the '67 jumps onto my wrist whenever I am in a Speedy mood. Getting the '67 has reduced my desire to pick up any of the more modern references, although the FOIS and Tin Tin do attract my attention.

oddboy likes this.
  12. JLMedia Jan 14, 2016

Good comments gents. I am still heavily swayed to the 57, I don't have a problem with the date window. I would also be keen to get a croc strap on it.
    Good points about the early speedy. I will look into that down the line.

13. JLMedia Jan 14, 2016

When people refer 'the man on the moon' Omega are they referring to the Speedy Pro? And is the FOIS is slightly different piece?

14. bgator Jan 14, 2016

Yes and yes. The FOIS has no crown guards, different hands, case back and lugs, and a sapphire crystal.

15. JLMedia Jan 14, 2016

So pretty different all round then haha.
    I really like the hands on the FOIS.

I'm quite keen on getting the book A Journey Through Time. I know it involves selling a kidney but am still keen on getting it. That said, I also like the Moonwatch book but haven't looked through that one. Might be a contender for Fathers Day perhaps.

16. JLMedia Jan 14, 2016

I've just realised that I have inadvertently taken over the OP's thread, apologies Joseph, that was very rude of me.

17. abrod520 Jan 14, 2016

Thread hijacking is common here. Par for the course, if you will ;)

18. Syed117 Jan 14, 2016

Have had the 57 since September and I love it.

Looks great on a strap as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. abrod520 Jan 14, 2016

I'd love to get the handset and bezel from the '57 (or more likely the 3594.50) onto the FOIS...

20. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Jan 14, 2016

That would be a winner in my book.