Forums Latest Members
  1. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 12, 2015

Hope I reach a few of my comrades. I know this is not a favorite type of thread!
    I'm considering adding an Omega automatic chronograph. Something along the lines of a 176xxx family (1040 or 1045 caliber) or a later model with a Valjoux 7750. I am familiar with the 176 family, and familiar with 7750's but not as cased by Omega.
    My budget is under $2,000 USD/€1,700/£1,300.
    I am a fan of the 1040 but prices for many models are outside my budget. I am also a fan of the dials and case designs of models holding the 1045, but prefer the 1040 movement (in my head the higher jewel count and lack of plastic parts make it superior, but please feel free to comment otherwise)! And, at the risk of sounding a bit crazy, I am also a fan of the 7750 (plastic parts and all).
    I think Lemania is superior to the Valjoux (am I mistaken?) but what about parts and serviceability?
    Which would you buy with that budget?
    Why?
    Thanks in advance, or, apologies if I have wasted your time with a pointless thread (a simple lack of response if the latter ;) )

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 13, 2015

Not crazy at all to be a fan of the 7750. Of all the watches I service larger volumes of, the 7750 is one that it's extremely rare that the result is not excellent,. and with a minimum amount of tweaking. They are a true workhorse movement, very reliable, and very accurate. It has 2 small plastic parts inside - the brake (like an 861 or 1861 would have, but you can't see it in this case even with the case back off as it's on the dial side), and the friction spring for the chronograph runner is part plastic.

When you say Lemania is superior to Valjoux, what exactly do you mean by that? In other words, what criteria are you using for this assumption? Functions, accuracy, ease of service?

Cheers, Al

3. Hijak Jan 13, 2015

Love my 7750 Al, one of my most acurate watches...but I think you had a little to do with that.:)

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 13, 2015

Glad to hear you are still enjoying it. I will only take partial credit for the accuracy though.

Cheers, Al

5. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job Jan 13, 2015

I am an end-user (not a technician) so I can only compare the Lemania and Valjoux through 1) my own experience (far more with 7750 but no issues with either ebauche manufacturer with the [freak?] exception of an Omega 1861 that needed 5 trips to Secaucus); and 2) what I have read others observe/opine (generally reported that Lemania is better, having met the needs and survived the testing for military applications).
    These observations or generalities aren't enough to sway me to the Lemania side. I have had such good luck with reliability and accuracy with the 7750 (in everything from an old Ollech&Weiss to an IWC), that I'm actually inclined to go with Omega's rendition. On one hand, I do prefer the readout of the Lemania-based auto chronographs. On the other hand, I am not wishing I had a Lemania when I read the sub-dials of a 7750.
    I didn't mention the Dubois-Depraz modules as I have read they are power-sucking accuracy-messing parasites that are difficult to service. But if this is not true, should I add it to the list?

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 13, 2015

Certainly an integrated chronograph is generally considered superior to a modular design. Depends on the design, but they can have problems with backlash and floppy hands. Coupled with its more limited service options, they would not be my choice for sure.

I think rather than comparing manufacturers it would likely be more useful to drill down to specific movements to look at pros and cons.

Cheers, Al

Time Exposure likes this.