Forums Latest Members
  1. wxs2 Jan 13, 2015

Considering going back into the market for a 30 year old Speedmaster and currently weighing up two options. Both are 45XXXXXX serials and similarly priced. Neither seller is offering any papers.

To my eye the first is in better condition, but would you have concerns about either/both?

Contestant no. 1...

[​IMG]
    From -- http://www.vintagetoday.be/montres/omega-vintage-speedmaster-steel-case-145-022-from-

Contestant no. 2...

[​IMG]
    From -- http://www.chrono24.be/omega/1984-b...id3027957.htm?id=3027957&picnum=0&tab=details

Which would you buy at this price - if either..?

Thanks in advance everyone! Love the forum!

Edited Jan 13, 2015
  2. Geo! Jan 13, 2015

My choice would be the first one, assuming it is running OK. Personally I would like to see inside it fist before parting with cash.

Too much little nibbles of corrosion on the second one for my liking, both inside and out. Even the hands look like they have been effected by damp.

m84 likes this.
  3. m84 Jan 13, 2015

It's always tough to make a decision based on pics alone, and I imagine you are far from either to go see them in person, and so I have to agree with Geo. If they're both from same vintage, then the first appears to be in better shape but that's just first impressions (and personal preference), as a movement pic and maybe some kind of service history would be best before any $$. As a side note, from my personal research on a 145.022 from the 80's, all key features seem to be period correct for date/ref. on both watches at least!
    Good luck!

4. puddlep1rate Jan 13, 2015

Quite hard for me to tell from the pictures but the first one does not appear to have the patina from the tritium dial and hands? Difficult to tell if they have been replaced or not. The color of the pictures are all in a yellow hue.

5. wxs2 Jan 13, 2015

Thanks everyone. I've handled the first one and would say that it has a gentle patina. The hands and markers definitely aren't a bright white but they haven't darkened to the green-yellow of the second example.

In a funny way, I'm drawn to the more "lived-in" look of the second watch. IMHO the more pristine version lacks a bit of character.