Forums Latest Members

Which Lange chrono would you have?

1. maxtor71 Nov 16, 2015

So last week I was invited to have a play with a few of Lange's 2015 novelties, ahead of an exhibition they were holding. The picture below is everything that they gave me to sample.

[​IMG]

And below, the three watches that I spent the most time with.

[​IMG]

I've loved the Datograph Up/Down (right) since it was introduced, and I was overjoyed to see that it was again available in a black dial and ping gold case. The Datograph Perpetual (left) is also something I've admired but I've never particularly been keen on a perpetual calendar because they aren't, for the most part, just pick-up and wear watches (my watch rotations might leave a watch unworn for weeks/months).

The watch in the centre, is the new boutique edition 1815 chronograph, and I don't mind telling you, it seriously got me hot and bothered. The Dato Up/Down is my grail but this particular 1815 had me rethinking my decision.

I'm curious to know which of these three you guys would pick?

Max

2. NT931 Nov 16, 2015

Well since we're speaking hypothetically here (as they're all waaay out of my budget), and you're asking about the 3 featured..

The new boutique edition 1815 chrono would be my pick. The old 1815 chrono was a little bit busy (though warmer), the new 1815 chrono is cleaner and quite lovely with the blued hands but a little cold. The current boutique ed in the middle combines features from the old and new quite nicely. And it's not too thick unlike the Dato.

But hey, I'd be happy with any of these 3. And no matter which one you pick they all look killer from the back!

Zuke likes this.
  3. chunkythebulldog Nov 16, 2015

Tough choice as they all look great. But as we are splashing the cash it would be the Perpetual for me.

4. E-diddy Nov 16, 2015

I'm a big fan of the 1815 boutique (even bigger fan of the first 1815 Chrono ref 401.026, which I plan to add to my collection at some point). Gorgeous piece, proper size, fantastic movement. Both Dato's are nice but are way too chunky for my taste.

5. ulackfocus Nov 16, 2015

Max, send me the 2nd from the right, and if you think you can get away with another "evaporating" you can send me that black dialed Datograph second from the left. PM me if you need my address. :D

6. abrod520 Nov 16, 2015

This is the truth! I'm into something a bit sportier-looking than what Lange puts out but man, if I were obnoxiously rich I'd have every single one of these mounted on a wall backwards....

NT931 likes this.
  7. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Nov 16, 2015

IMHO the new 1815 boutique edition and the original Datograph are the two best chronographs made in the last 30 to 40 years. I was wearing my Speedmaster 105.003 the last time I tried on a Datograph (39mm non-Up/down), and the Lange wore remarkably similar to the Speedy. There is obviously a siginificant weight difference and the case is thicker, but the wrist presence is about the same. The 1815 wears much more elegantly on the wrist even though there isn't much of a difference in diameter because the case is much thinner. Two completely different watches, but they're both great in their own way. Winding the watch and activating the pushers - like a dream.

The perpetual chrono is lovely as well, but the two overlapping complications makes for a watch that is altogether too chunky. For the same money I'd rather have the Patek 3970.

8. 1685 Nov 16, 2015

Not that I'll ever have the opportunity to make this tough decision, but this is the Internet so anythings possible, perpetual would be my choice. Love the, what appears to be in the pic, grey dial.

9. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Nov 16, 2015

Agree with this. The original is an amazing watch, and perfectly proportioned at least for me.

10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 16, 2015

Just this.

Screen Shot 2015-11-17 at 10.58.36 AM.png

11. SeanO Nov 16, 2015

the Datograph Flyback. Even though they're not small watches (certainly over the usual 40mm limit) I could live with one.

12. Rman Nov 16, 2015

I'd go with the original Datograph. I tend towards the classics, and the watch is an icon.

13. NT931 Nov 17, 2015

Good points raised by E-diddy and Jordan. The Dato up/down is a lovely watch but is noticeably thick. And i am glad I'm not the only one who prefers the older 1815 Chrono!

And here is a pic of the Dato U/D from a friend who was kind enough to let me try his... Ahhhh that movement... It's hard to capture in pictures but the visual depth of that movt is simply breathtaking

image.jpeg

marco, ELV web and chunkythebulldog like this.