Forums Latest Members

[Which is more valuable?] Speedy 3592 - serviced hands VS. absolute original

1. JeraldC Sep 13, 2016

Hi Everyone,

I have a hard time deciding which is more valuable:

1) A Speedmaster that has its hands replaced but comes with box and papers (higher serial number); or
    2) A Speedmaster that has absolutely everything original but without box and papers. (lower serial number)

Both are the 3592.5 model with cal. 863 - let's assume that the condition of both are exactly the same.

Also, does lower serial number on the case mean that the watch was made earlier?

Thanks,
    J

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 13, 2016

Without pictures of the dial and price difference that cannot be answerd.

Serial numbers can give the approx year but they are not made sequentially.

Not sure why a 3592 would have had its hands replaced.

Basically in that new of a watch if the replacement hands martched the dial it's not an issue... Is one a tritium watch? It will have a "T Swiss madeT" on the dial.

I'm assuming they are not 145.022 since the serial is in the case.

3. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Sep 13, 2016

Could I suggest not to get over-focused on the value aspect - these Speedies are best enjoyed for how they look, and work, rather than as investment vehicles. No two watches will be in exactly the same condition, so, within a budget window, you're best to choose the one that you most like the look of (having due regard to how confident you feel about the seller/his description and his terms of business).

JimInOz and Davidt like this.
  4. Interstellar Sep 13, 2016

As a buyer, I would value originality compared to box and papers anyday. Box and papers are nice to have but end of the day, you can't wear them.

But on the other hand, if the replacement is exactly the same and does not impact the way the end result (eg dif. lume colors, incorrect parts, etc), then I'd consider a complete set with box and papers.

It all boils down to the overall condition of the watch.

5. Dero13 4 watches. All set to the wrong time. Sep 13, 2016

Agreed with the points above on condition of the watch being paramount. But to answer your question, personally 100% original > replacement parts with b&p.

6. JeraldC Sep 18, 2016

Thanks for your opinions everyone really appreciate it :)

I have attached photos of both watches and swapped out bracelet of one of them for clarity sake.

Highly suspicious that the one with the green nato has had its tritium hands replaced.

FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender3.jpg
  7. ATWG Sep 18, 2016

I think you may have it reversed, the hands on the first pic look way to clean for a ~20yr old watch.

I'll let others chime in.