Forums Latest Members

Which is more desirable, to a collector?

1. seamonster Respectable Member Jan 5, 2012

Which is more desirable, to a collector?

Two Rolex Sea-Dweller watches model reference 1665 with a Rail Dial appear on the market.

Both have common denominators and the only difference is: (A) one is totally original with its tritium hands but yet to be serviced. This watch after an initial inspection, Rolex Service Centre refused to service it, unless the hands are replaced with a non-tritium ones, since according to them, the tritium found on the hands are already brittle (under magnification).

(B) the other, while totally original too, has the tritium hands replaced with luminova ones, after it has been serviced by RSC.

The question now is, which of the two will be more desirable, as a collector's item. It would be appreciated, if you can kindly give the reason/s for selecting one, over the other.

Next, how collectible is a Rolex Sea-Dweller model reference 1665 with a Rail Dial against that of a White?

Thank you.

Sea-Dweller 1665 Rail Dial.jpg
    cicindela likes this.
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 5, 2012

A all the way, never get RSC to service vintage, independent shops will take care of it, Rolex are simply afraid they'll ruin an expensive watch and be liable for the damage. Rail dials are rarer than double reds, and IMO are a very good buy at the money they currently command.

Watches are only original once, remember that.

3. ulackfocus Jan 5, 2012

100% agreement with Ashley - the more original the better. Go to an independent to have the watch serviced. You can give VERY specific instructions of what you do and don't want done.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 5, 2012

Just out of interest, what kind of money are you looking at on these two?

5. seamonster Respectable Member Jan 5, 2012

dsio

Thanks for your response.

I agree, the Rail dial is rare but the asking price appears to be lower than the double red, according to the popular auction-site and I do not understand this. Though lower, it is still too high for most lovers dreaming to own one. Me, too!

With the RSC certificate, there is always the assurance and satisfaction the watch is genuine and there is no aftermarket parts. However the down-side is, the replaced hands will not match the patina, displayed by the hour markers.

Again I agree with you, a competent watchmaker can do a job, as good as that of the RSC.

6. seamonster Respectable Member Jan 5, 2012

ulackfocus

Thanks for your response.

Definitely, I have to agree with you, nothing beats a watch that is as close as possible to factory-original, in the eyes of most collectors.

7. seamonster Respectable Member Jan 5, 2012

dsio

Thanks for coming back to us.

I know this may not be possible, unless there is another GFC. I am looking for something around the US$9 000.00 mark. Please do not scream at me, since I am a small man with a big dream.

8. Spy You know my name. Jan 20, 2012

That makes two of us. I simply want a 14060m pre-chronometer. But since I have two others and a dog it makes my dream a little further away. And I have given up hope for a 6538 large crown! ;)

9. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 20, 2012

If you extended that to a late 5513 you could find yourself getting very lucky, I've seen head only examples with gloss spider dials going for under 2k in private sales. From there you take your time saving up for a service, and then a bracelet and you're all good. 5513 dome crystal captures the spirit of the Submariner far better than the sapphire of the 14060M too!

10. seamonster Respectable Member Jan 22, 2012

Respectable Member Spy

Thanks for the response

I am sure there are more than the two of us. There are many more, who are saying their prayers, in silence.

All of us can only pray and hope. On top of this, we have to work hard and at the same time, make some sacrifices - like foregoing lunch and dinner for twelve months - just kidding!

Thank-you.

11. GoDuke1 Feb 15, 2012

If you get the first one that hasn't been serviced, and want to get it serviced, look up Bob Ridley. He is the goto guy for vintage Rolex work!

12. Spy You know my name. Feb 15, 2012

I am not opposed to taking desperate measures. ;)