Forums Latest Members
  1. Shailor Aug 23, 2017

Forty years ago I acquired my first real timepiece. An Omega Flightmaster. One day, out of sheer laziness, I set the time by winding the stem counter clockwise. It stopped running. The watchmaker who repaired it admonished me to never move the hands backwards and I never did again. Last week I was watching a video comparison of a Seamaster and a Tudor. Imagine my shock and horror to see the guy in the video moving the hands vigorously in either direction. So which is it? Is it watch dependant? Thanks!

albertob likes this.
  2. M'Bob Aug 23, 2017

I alway wound forward, but our resident expert, Al, said it won't hurt to do it counterclockwise. Not sure if this pertains to all watches, though.

3. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Aug 23, 2017

Only set the time counter clockwise when holding the watch upside down :whistling:

mr_yossarian likes this.
  4. N1CK Aug 23, 2017

Totally fine to wind backwards, many watches have a quick set date function that involved winding the time back from 12 to 9 and back again.

Shailor likes this.
  5. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 23, 2017

And some movements require that you only change the date when the hour hand is between 4 and 8.

It pays to find out exactly how your watch must be wound and set. There's heaps of old manuals on the internet.