Forums Latest Members

Where's the Love for Speedmaster DayDate 3523.80.00 ?

1. repoman May 12, 2014

I'm at the very early stages of building an Omega collection. I've got an all original 145.012-67 pre-moon, and a nice modern Constellation with a blue/gray dial. Because of that blue/gray dial on my Constellation that I really love, I have taken a strong liking to the blue dial of the 3523.80:
    [​IMG]

What I find interesting is the lack of interest in this watch from Omega-philes. Granted, there is not a whole lot of collector value here, very little discussion on the Omega forums on this particular model, and resale value on these particular watches is on the lower side compared to other Speedmasters. Still, I think its a great looking watch and for me, I have to love it and like to wear it, or I'm not interested in collecting it.

I'm curious what some of you have to say about this watch, especially if you are one of those that don't find this watch all that interesting... what is it about it that turns you off? Is it the automatic caliber? The so called complex day-date mechanism and fear of maintenance headaches, lack of value appreciation compared to other Speedy's, or ?

Looks like a guy living near me is selling one, I'd appreciate feedback from the experts on this example:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/rare-OMEGA-...181404659?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item461fcf85f3Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Lostpuppy116 and Privateday7 like this.
  2. repoman May 12, 2014

Sorry for the subject line typo... looks like you can't edit after posting on this forum. I'll have to be more careful in the future :cautious:

3. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead May 12, 2014

I've owned the black dial version for 12 years now and it's a keeper, the biggest improvement you can do to this model is change the bracelet for a strap. I've fallen in love all over again since I've done this.
    [​IMG]

4. Hijak May 12, 2014

I have a similar, more current version of the 3523.80, the 3220.50, which is also a chronometer with a black dial...
    Wrist Shot, 2.JPG
    There is some love for these watches, you just need to look a little deeper.;) I like the idea of the blue dial, it looks great and since the black dial in certain light can be difficult to read, the blue dial is a good way to go!:thumbsup: I could do without the 24 hour hand and just have the 60 second hand on the nine o'clock sub-dial but other than that love mine. I also like the slightly smaller size of the case compared to the other Speedmasters. Good luck with your search.

EDIT: The one your looking at has a somewhat high starting price. Depending on condition I've seen these go for less than this...it seems to be in fairly good condition but the pictures are not very good. I would want to pay less than or at least closer to $1500 for this. (if it gets a few bids it will go well over $1600) Here's one at a better price with better pictures...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/H1057-Omega...es_Watches_MensWatches_GL&hash=item2c81fbf1c8Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 12, 2014

I work on these fairly often - the movements in these Speedmaster Automatic variants are all ETA 7750 based so very accurate and reliable in my experience. The models mentioned in this thread are based on the 7751. Certainly not difficult to service for any competent watchmaker.

They are a bit smaller, and the 7750 is pretty thick, so not sure if the proportions put people off. Even though the cases are all snap together construction, they do have decent water resistance, so are very good for daily wear.

Cheers, Al

6. ulackfocus May 12, 2014

There are quite a few owners here and on various fora. Almost any Valjoux 775x watch is a decent product. If I didn't own my Breitling, I'd probably have a 3211 of some sort - either panda or reverse panda with red highlights.

No worries, it's fixed now. ;)

tikkathree likes this.
  7. Hijak May 12, 2014

Mine is a screw on case back...
    image.jpg

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 12, 2014

I haven't had one in yet with a screw on case back. Just looked your reference up on the Omega Extranet - the front portion of the case, which includes the bezel and crystal, still appears to snap on like the older models do.

Here is a slightly different movement version that I replaced the whole front portion of the case on due to some road rash...old and new case front:

[​IMG]

Here the movement is mounted, but the case front is not yet installed on the case frame:

[​IMG]

And fully assembled:

[​IMG]

I have a 35205000 in the shop right now (like Event Horizon's above) that will get the same treatment - whole new front portion of the case.

Cheers, Al

tikkathree likes this.
  9. Hijak May 12, 2014

Wow, that person should be very happy, it looks brand new. And it's good to know that my watch is a snap fit front, not that I was going swimming with it or any thing, but will keep this in mind for future reference. Thanks Al!

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 12, 2014

Yes he was pleased. The crystal was also pretty scratched up when it came in, so here is the crystal and the bezel:

[​IMG]

I managed to polish out the crystal pretty well - yes sapphire so a job for the diamond paste - I don't normally do this as it's time consuming, but this one I was able to make a lot better in a reasonable amount of time:

[​IMG]

Cheers, Al

tikkathree likes this.
  11. Hijak May 12, 2014

Al just curious, do you know how this was damaged. Seems pretty extreme, must have been a serious fall.

Argieincanada likes this.
  12. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead May 13, 2014

Im curious about something as well Al, with my model being a snap back and front case how on earth is it waterproof? Is there a gasket for the front as well as the case back?

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 13, 2014

The owner didn't tell me how it happened actually - assuming a bike crash or something to do that much damage. The lugs were also chewed up a bit, but the bezel took most of it.

14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 13, 2014

If you look at the photos above, specifically the one with the movement in the case but the front is not on yet, you can see an O-ring in the case. This O-ring is compressed when the case front is pressed in place, and this is what provides the seal on the front.

On the back, there is a hard plastic seal - these are one time use only seals that deform as the case back is being pressed on to provide a tight fit and seal.

Cheers, Al

15. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 13, 2014

I've owned one before with similar blue dial. Loved it but at the end I like Seamaster electric blue dial better, and sold the Speedy.

16. NiklasARvid May 13, 2014

I am one of those who do not find these interesting.

To me it is just another 7750-based chrono, If I wanted a 7750 (and sometimes I do... I have a 7757, cased in the robust SM300 case, good stuff!) I'd rather have a Wyler or Breitling or whatever, or Seamaster!

And Omega has the bad taste of selling them under, and thus soiling, the noble Speedmaster name... But then again, to me, ...anything with Speedmaster on the dial and not manual in straight descendance from 321/861/1861 is just boring cannibalism on a good name...

My 7757:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 13, 2014

I think this is part of the Reason for the " lack of love" for these models. Not quite rational in my mind, but I guess it's a personal thing.

Can I ask if you have the same feelings about any watch with the Speedmaster name that does not include one of the manual wind movements? So Speedy reduced, or even the 9300 based Speedmasters, or is it just this series with the 7750 base movements?

Cheers, Al

tikkathree likes this.
  18. hondaman May 13, 2014

I own a blue dial Speedmaster triple date. It is a very nice watch, my only complaint is that I have a hard time reading the dial. This is more the fault of my eyes than anything.

[​IMG]

19. NiklasARvid May 13, 2014

Yep, they all leave me completely cold.
    ...speedy "reduced"... squint eyed fugly modular rip off... dont get me started... ;-)

Spacefruit likes this.
  20. repoman May 13, 2014

Now this thread is starting to move in the direction I expected. Thanks NIklasARvid for being honest about your opinions on this watch. I've not yet seen the watch in person, which will happen next, but I've noticed that on more than one example online, the hands, particularly the lower subdial hand, look tarnished, or corroded in some way. Here's a rather nasty example of what I'm talking about, anybody have insights on this? Bad photography maybe? Seems like its common, and I find it really distracting
    [​IMG]

Lostpuppy116 and tikkathree like this.