Forums Latest Members
  1. Lindkent May 29, 2014

Not sure if there are other threads like this but if there are please post a link.

Simple question, I would like to start collecting Vintage omega watches, have done hours of reading and research but am still a bit stuck as to where to actually start?

Any help or info you guys have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! May 29, 2014

With all that research, you must have developed some opinions of your own.

I'd start with the references that a) you love and b) fit your budget.

Of course "a" often trumps "b", and visa versa.

Look forward to seeing your first purchase!

3. ulackfocus May 29, 2014

Buy what you think you like to try them out. Keep what you do like and sell the rest to fund different watches. Voila!

4. Selbo May 29, 2014

1) Click through the WRUW for excellent examples of just about any reference from every time period.
    2) Find a reference you like.
    3) While not complete, the Omega database will give you an idea of what movements belong in which reference, years of production, and other useful information.

http://www.omegawatches.com/planet-omega/heritage/vintage-omegas/vintage-watches-database

4) It has its drawbacks but ebay will offer the greatest selection. Look through the sold listings for the reference you've targeted to get an idea of pricing.
    5) Find something you like and bring it to this forum to determine authenticity. Definitely ask before you buy. The mighty auction house is a minefield of fakes/reproductions. This forum is extremely respectful, honest, and patient and will help steer you in the right direction.
    6) Return to #1 for your next watch purchase.

5. Lindkent May 29, 2014

So far its between a vintage Seamaster and Constellation with the 564, 565 or 751 movements between 1966-1967. That would be the ideal but the way I feel right now I would almost jump on any vintage Omega haha!

Problem is I live in South Africa and good vintages are few and far between.

6. Lindkent May 29, 2014

Thanks Selbo! I am super excited to get started!

7. Time Exposure coordinates his cast with his car's paint job May 29, 2014

I was going to recommend the Seamaster. Many shapes/sizes/dial combos. Stick with the 56x and 75x for the best quality (from the factory, as specific examples 40-50 yrs later are subject to inspection for overall condition).
    Personally, for style and nearly-as-good quality, I would broaden the search to include older 50x movements. Of course taste is subjective but some of the best designs were late 50's-early 60's.
    Follow the advice given about getting opinions on condition/originality/value, but be prepared to provide high res pictures to include the movement and inside case back to get opinions. Also be warned when you bring an example to the spotlight here for examination, a troll may try to beat you to it when it's brought to everyone's attention.
    Constellation examples are in greater demand, higher priced, subject to great scrutiny, and (I'll certainly be slapped for this) not as good looking as the Seamasters. There I said it! Again, taste is subjective and I'm probably in the minority on that call.
    Bottom line, have patience, seek advice from knowledgeable collectors, be patient, prepare for service by a qualified watch maker, don't rush in to a purchase, and be patient. Also, take your time. Am I being Captain Obvious when I say have patience? It's the hardest thing to do when you get excited about the hunt. The good news is, as you assemble a collection, the excitement for the hunt does not diminish. Well, good news for the psyche, not the wallet...

8. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 29, 2014

Check out http://blog.omegaforums.net you can quickly scroll through a huge number of watches owned by members here mostly from WRUW and similar threads

9. Lindkent May 30, 2014

Thanks you guys have all been super helpful!

Time Exposure, I think the hardest part for me right now is patience haha, I am meeting with a seller today and will take lots of pictures and bring them here.

All the input is much appreciated.