Forums Latest Members
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThomasBP Dec 11, 2018

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, and have read about the sales forum, and I do not have 200 posts here, and can not post anything for sale in here. My question is where would be the best place to sell Omega parts? I know about eBay, but I also hear the sad stories about people beeing scammed on eBay, and I'm a bit scared of ending up with a shipped item and no payment.
    Also: Is it allowed to ask what you guys think the part is worth?

Thanks in advance.

Thomas

2. kov Trüffelschwein. Dec 11, 2018

Hello and welcome.

You might think of Instagram. The watchlovers community is huge and the reach is quite high. Nevertheless, scammers are everywhere.

[​IMG]

If you manage it not to be perceived as a hidden sales post, trespassing the forum rules, it might work. But there is a very thin line :whistling:

3. w154 Dec 11, 2018

I think it’s fair to ask values, but it is not allowed to sell here until you’ve reached the 200 post count. If you post what you have here, get feedback, then list on eBay, I think that’s OK.

Edit to add: agree that IG may be a good platform, but it would still be nice to get feedback on values first. If you clearly state your planned sale format now, and follow it through later, then I don’t see a problem.

Tritium likes this.
  4. ThomasBP Dec 11, 2018

Thank you both for your reply - I haven't posted a picture and writting wich part it's all about, as I know it could be seen as a salespost in desguise :)

If I read both your replies correctly, it would be ok, to post pictures and ask for value as long as I don't try to sell it here, and instead list it on eBay or/and IG? I don't have many followers on IG - is it all about I tag the post? Or is there a few good tricks to get it out to the right people?

I also think of using escrow to be as safe as possible - both for buyer and seller. Any thoughts on that?

Again; thank you for your inputs :)

/Thomas

5. mr_yossarian Dec 11, 2018

I'm afraid, no one here can cure your general anxiety. Or was it just a overdramatized phrazing to justify ignoring the forum rules?

w154 likes this.
  6. w154 Dec 11, 2018

What country are you in ?

7. ThomasBP Dec 11, 2018

Please tell me, where I have ignored to forum rules? I have done everything I can not to do so. There is no product, no price, no picture - just me asking how to go about this the best way. If people tell me to not post anything in fear of it being a sale in desguise, then I will not post anything, and everbody will remain happy :)

And about the anxiety: I'm in a few watchgroups on Facebook, where more than one has been scammed and left with no money and no watch. I just don't want to join that club.

/Thomas

8. ThomasBP Dec 11, 2018

Denmark - I have tried listing the part in two Danish groups on Facebook, as I would like to sell it among "known" people, but no sale yet. This is why I'm looking for other options :_)

9. mr_yossarian Dec 11, 2018

You ignored the rule, you already posted a sales ad and this "explanation" makes it even worse..because it either says you are a smart guy or the others idiots..which both appears to be a totally wrong assumption.

kov likes this.
  10. w154 Dec 11, 2018

I’ll tell you the best way. Send me a message with info and pics. I won’t try and buy it, unless it’s a bezel for a Blancpain Bund !

ThomasBP likes this.
  11. ThomasBP Dec 11, 2018

I'm sorry - but I still do not see a sales add. Where I live, a sales ad has a product and a price. Please tell me, what product I have listed for sale here?

/Thomas

12. w154 Dec 11, 2018

It’s an argument you won’t win, maybe fairly so...

Anyway I have time today so PM me the info and I’ll help.

ThomasBP likes this.
  13. mr_yossarian Dec 11, 2018

You don't, I see..
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning–Kruger_effect

14. Stufflers Mom Dec 11, 2018

Thomas, the problem here is that as I'm sure you know and perhaps are counting on is that human inquisitive nature is such that some people may be curious enough to send you a personal message to find out what you are selling, the net result will be that you may have circumvented the rules and pissed off some members in the process.
    Also, what history do you have that says what you are selling is not in fact a drawer full of fake crap?

mr_yossarian likes this.
  15. w154 Dec 11, 2018

I’d say there’s no problem anymore. Thomas has a part that’s common enough to value with reasonable certainty. There are plenty of recent sales to give a good idea, and indeed his own research had already taken him to pretty much the right value. So no need to say much more, other than keep your eyes on eBay, IG, or whatever location Thomas decides to sell on.

BlackTalon, mr_yossarian and ThomasBP like this.
  16. Togri v. 2.0 Wow! Custom title... cool Dec 11, 2018

Thomas please be aware that the reason this is brought up is that it has happened many times before and happes regularly and that it often start with the same story/explanation that you offer.

I can understand, if you feel frustrated, but please also understand that this forum is special and so well liked by its long term members precisely because of this “people being on their guard”. The importance of the integrety of the sales forum here cannot be overstated.

It is not an attack on you.

I agree that Instagram is a good platform if you spam your post with hashtags and/or have many followers from the “watch world”. Otherwise join the forum, contribute, have fun and wait till you get to 200 posts.

ThomasBP likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.