Forums Latest Members

Where to go for 'watch-ing' in Hong Kong?

1. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jan 24, 2016

I'll be in this city for a few days with some time to kill, for what else (might be another thread!), but watches!

I'm sure it won't be hard to find all sorts of modern styles and brands, but I'm wondering if anyone would recommend a place for vintage ones, too?

I just read the 'Blog to Watch' article on HK, http://www.ablogtowatch.com/hong-kong-watch-shopping-wonderland/ and it looks as though the TST area, specifically Nathan Road, might be interesting. Someone chimed in that they felt like Macau was better for vintage, but I doubt I'll get there... or... who knows?

Any other advice?

2. marturx Jan 24, 2016

I was there 3 weeks ago. Avoid Nathan road, just a lot of Indian people attacking you all the time with fake watches.

Finding shops with vintage watches was not hard at all. But mostly Rolex, Patek and Panerai. Omega was pretty scarce, and I saw no Speedmasters anywhere.

I was in luck also, because there was a watch fair in the basement of my hotel during the last day of my stay. So I got to see some goodies there then.

Check that out, if there's any fair going on when you are there too. @Spacefruit may know, since he's a frequent Hong Kong traveler

dougiedude likes this.
  3. khmt2 Mar 14, 2016

Visited the following 3 vintage watch shops during a short stay in HK last week based on online reviews. TLDR - Speedy fans need not bother.

1. Berne Horology - the one in Central
    https://www.facebook.com/bernehorology/
    1.jpg

Focus of their collection is mainly Rolexes, but there was a decent non Rolex selection (only a few speedies) and a really messy display desk containing some old Pateks at the back. When asked whether they had any vintage Zenith chronos, the watchmaker/assistant instead asked me to consider some of the Tissot 70s offering on display. :cautious:

2. Vintage Concept - http://www.thevintageconcept.com/
    a. Central Branch
    2.jpg

Located about a leisurely 10 mins walk down Wellington Road from Berne. Boutique like setting with commensurate pricing. :p Again their collection was more Rolex centric, but there was quite a feq interesting non-rollie pieces. I got to try on a vintage Rolex Explorer and JLC polaris.

3.jpg

B. Kok branch

5.jpg

At the Central branch, the sales person recommended me to visit their Kok counterpart which might had other vintage pieces incoming that were not listed on their websites. Here's what was on display that caught my eye - consignment pieces largely. Alas, the Tri-compax was too small at 34mm and had some question marks, and a Jaeger 285 I had spotted on their website was already reserved. :mad:

4.jpg

3. Ching Kuok Watches Service
    http://www.antiquewatch.com.hk/

Quite a hole in the wall, but seemingly quite well patronised. Much smaller collection compared to the above 2, with Rolexes again the mainstay. Well patronised though - had a few expats dropping by to ask to be notified if any vintage Pateks were to appear from the sky. :p

I didn't have much time to spend in each of the above shops so I might have missed out some beauties, but if I had to recommend one shop, it would be the Vintage Concept branch at Kok - good selection of non Rollies and within the same building on the ground floor there are also other second hand watch shops to visit.

Edited by a mod Jul 10, 2021
    red crowned, jsaen, bvertz and 2 others like this.
  4. Nicked Likes the second class watches of the Proles Apr 12, 2016

Am I seeing the correct prices on the JLC and the Rolex Exp II ??? Just to be clear, I can't believe that JLC is almost 40K$.

5. stiofan WUS topic importer Apr 12, 2016

Edited May 9, 2016
    drainaps and red crowned like this.
  6. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Apr 17, 2016

Yes, unfortunately, that's a fairly typical price for the Polaris... I can't speak for the Rolex.

7. drainaps Apr 17, 2016

Good advice above. Skip Macau altogether. Even for modern watches, prices are ridiculous.

As for vintage in HKG, I'd totally skip Vintage Concept. Quite a few nice pieces, many other with service parts to the detriment of the value of the watch. I once asked an "innocent" question on a 5512 they had on display, to test their honesty and the answer, to put it mildly, was creative at best.

On a different occasion their asking price for a second hand high end Seiko was 95% of the BNIB price. When very politely pointing the fact trying to start some price talk , the guy to my amazement sourly said "then go buy it new". 200% avoid.

A place I visit regularly is Ken's Watches. Google it. Very knowledgeable guy (boss is in the Lockhart Road shop with his sister Connie) but as usual in this kind of places, if they have to choose between 100% disclosure and honesty vs a bit less disclosure in order to get the deal done, probably the second option will win the day.

If you're not a local Cantonese speaker, don't expect much in terms of pricing. And UNLESS you know your vintage stuff inside out, do not buy anything vintage, especially vintage Rolex. That applies to anywhere HKG (actually these days, to anywhere everywhere).

PM if you wish and if you need more specifics.

hkhobo likes this.