Forums Latest Members
  1. sat968 Feb 22, 2018

OK, the cat was out of the bag before I unknowingly purchased a Constellation railtrack that had been redialed. There are a few glaring issues with the redial that I would like to resolve with another redial. I haven't decided whether to keep the watch, but I'm not putting it back into the wild the way it is.

I've gone through the threads here and on WUS and I'm more confused now about which company to go to. In the US, I've seen references to one of the three different Kirks, International Dial, RGM, Goveberg, etc. I really haven't pursued overseas refinishers and I'm not opposed at all to sending the dial overseas to get a quality job done.

What confuses me is that it seems each company specializes in different eras, makes, etc and much of the feedback about these companies is old and more recent feedback is mixed. I'd like to find someone that at least knows about the correct look of the Constellation text and other fonts and spacing on the dial. I'd at least like to get a redial done that it doesn't take @hoipolloi two seconds to spot as a redial. ;) I know it will never pass as original, nor would I want it to necessarily, but I certainly want it better than it currently is. At least I have a couple of excellent references for what the dial should look like.

Here's the current dial for reference.

auction-watch.jpg

mikechi22 likes this.
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 22, 2018

Why would you throw good money after bad if there's no emotional attachment to the watch? Keep it or sell it as having a refinished dial and put the savings toward a better example.

3. sat968 Feb 22, 2018

Well, railtracks don't come along all that often. Searching the private sales here only turned up a couple offered in the past, so the odds of getting a good example are quite low.

I don't have a problem wearing the watch, if the dial was close to correct, until such time as I can get a original example. If I do decide to sell, I have to believe I'd have a better chance of getting my money back if the dial were closer to correct.

4. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Feb 22, 2018

It's your decision, obviously, but I doubt you'll recoup the expense because, at the end of the day, it's still a redial. I suppose you could hope for some uneducated buyer to pay top dollar for a good redial. Goodness knows it's obviously happened before. I just hate to see you spend money based on a hope.

5. michael22 Feb 22, 2018

That dial is not correct, but it's not ugly. Getting a better one will cost money better spent on a new watch.

6. BenBagbag Feb 22, 2018

Won't all redials have some imperfections? Isn't that the point? Can you point to a refinish you think meets your expectations today?

Passover likes this.
  7. TexOmega Feb 22, 2018

Cut bait now and fish later.

8. sat968 Feb 22, 2018

Yes, I understand. In this case, the word "AUTOMATIC" is printed at two different angles and the words "OFFICIALLY CERTIFIED" don't belong.

If I decide to keep this watch, I don't want to keep looking at what I consider large errors. The cost to redial is not at issue for me and will not affect my ability to keep pursuing additional watches.

Back to the point, does no one have references for redialers?

9. TexOmega Feb 22, 2018

Kinda like asking a gaggle of vegans where to get the best steak, but good luck and keep posting your findings so we all benefit.

Edited Feb 25, 2018
  10. sat968 Feb 22, 2018

Made me laugh! I'm getting that feeling. I'll keep looking at other forums, but in the end, I pay the money and roll the dice...

michael22, TexOmega and efauser like this.
  11. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Feb 22, 2018

I would leave it as-is. This is actually one of the better redials compared to some that I have seen. Your ultimate goal seems to be finding a correct one, so I would just save the couple of hundred for that.

12. Waltesefalcon Feb 23, 2018

I think the dial isn't too bad. As far as experience with the above mentioned companies I have used International dial for a couple of American watches from the 30s and the 50s and was happy with their work. I don't know how they would do with an Omega though.

13. airansun In the shuffling madness Apr 24, 2018

A really nice redial will have a value. Obviously, it’s a fraction of what a nice original will be worth. But I admit I’ve seen some very nice redials of damaged originals that I thought were well worth it.

The market is comprised of all of us. Each of us has different priorities in what we chose collect. I think there will always be a market for really nice redials. (There are only so many nice original dials left, floating around out there.)

I mean, apart from all the errors and frauds being perpetrated on the underinformed. Which, of course, is the risk of any really good redial.

14. airansun In the shuffling madness Apr 24, 2018

I bought this recently. The group consensus was that it’s a redial.

It probably is, because the hands are lumed but not the hour markers. But, redial or not, I think it’s quite nice.

2BDC490B-B484-4B70-9328-BF9DDDB6427B.jpeg ADC20D8F-C648-492B-A6C2-D3A227EDE5CE.jpeg CF40467C-6E5E-4BCE-B61F-2A256395634E.jpeg 1AC1951C-9DB0-43AF-BEC6-4078F5FB166F.jpeg

So, I’ve put my money where my mouth is.

felsby likes this.