Forums Latest Members
  1. Doug_G Sep 19, 2021

I have my grandfathers pocket watch, nothing special aside from sentimental value. But the case has lost it's nickle plating.

image0.jpeg image1.jpeg
  2. Canuck Sep 19, 2021

Only one place. They were in Montreal, Canada.

https://www.replateit.com/

They do spectacular work.

They may be in the process of moving right now. The link I gave you shows a California address.

Edited Sep 19, 2021
    connieseamaster, DaveK, ghce and 2 others like this.
  3. Duracuir1 Never Used A Kodak Sep 19, 2021

Canuck knows. 4EC8744C-56A9-4093-BD0D-19FAE95781E1.jpeg B975B7F2-AE0E-4DB9-9214-E95B65720664.jpeg

aggie, DaveK, Larry S and 2 others like this.
  4. ghce Sep 20, 2021

I do like that and the pricing which means my Kidneys can stay insitu.
    I have been despairing for a few of my watches which I haven't serviced due to their appalling plating wear and damage, this sheds a new light on future possibilities.
    I had looked at a few sites that had gold re-plating and case finishing services advertised but had dismissed them as I hadn't yet won Lotto and who knows I might need those spare Kidneys one day.

Heavytrevy likes this.
  5. Helvetia History Sep 20, 2021

Hello Doug,

I'll second, or third, ReplateIt. They did a fantastic job on my Helvetia. I think they are moving to the US at the minute though.

20201020_134012.jpg

Your watch looks like the German DH Grana watches. Does it have number on the side like below?

gr3j.jpg

Thanks. Carl.

DaveK and Duracuir1 like this.
  6. rcs914 Sep 20, 2021

Also you can replate yourself pretty easily too, if you are handy with removing the movement, etc. @MoclovFlop has replated several things, using a kit that costs less than $100 if I recall correctly.

aggie likes this.
  7. rcs914 Sep 20, 2021

8. MoclovFlop Do the Electric Boogaloo. Sep 20, 2021

Correct, just like most refinishing wether it's paint or plate, your finished product is all about the prep work.

So if you go the home route, be sure you take your time to get the case to look the way you want it before you plate it. Otherwise, it's a very economical way to keep a few watches alive!

9. Canuck Sep 20, 2021

The watch shown by @Duracuir1 is a “Canadian” cased Rolex from the early 1940s. At the time, the Canadian branch of Rolex was given a lot of latitude regarding how they cased their movements. So about half the Rolex watches that we run into from that era in Canada, are in domestic (not Swiss) cases. At that time, Rolex was selling Rolex, and Oyster watches. We associate Rolex and Oyster as being one and the same, today. But that was not the case 80 years ago. Oyster watches from the era are pretty well always in Oyster cases. In Canada, unless the dial says ROLEX OYSTER, Rolex watches could have come in a variety on non-Oyster cases. Mostly chrome plated, or gold plated, neither of which would have come out of Switzerland.

Fast forward to the origin of TUDOR as a sub brand of Rolex. Some time in the late 1940s or early 1950s, Rolex seems to have decided they could get a lot more mileage out of the Oyster name by using the name not as a subsidiary brand to the Rolex. But to establish TUDOR as the sub brand, and use the Oyster name on Tudor, and Rolex, both!

Check this article out, currently running in a thread about an Oyster Commander.

https://montrespubliques.com/1minute-reads/the-rolex-oyster-commander

One comment I would make on that article is that the Oysters sold by Eatons were not called OYSTER AQUA (as per the article), but SOLAR Aqua. The Solar name was a house brand name Eatons used on their own watch lines. Solar AQUA was only used on watches produced for them by Rolex.

Edited Sep 20, 2021
    aggie, akshayluc420, rcs914 and 2 others like this.
  10. aggie Sep 24, 2021

Everything is interesting on this forum!