Forums Latest Members
  1. Klhender Oct 7, 2017

I've recently decided that after working for 45 yrs. and getting our family affairs in order (sort of) I would like a nice watch. I've started my research (which led me to OMEGA Forums) and I've spent some time lurking and mulling various conversations.

It seems that online retailers have slightly better prices than local retailers, can you tell me where you purchased your Omega (Rolex, other) and why you went there? Would you shop there again, or let your kids shop there?

I know this type of question has been asked before - sorry to ask again so soon

Thanks,.

Edited Oct 7, 2017
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 7, 2017

I have purchased my Rolex GMT Master 2 in Germany from Wempe and my RG JLC Master Moon in France at Le Bonne Marche... thus saving a bundle on Chicago taxes. In both places I had researched price points and was very happy with the deals and the experience. I bought my JLC Reverso at Marshall Pierce in the City because they had a large selection and I was intent on making sure I liked the Reverso. They are great. I also bought a Mont Blanc from the Chicago Boutique because I was having a pen serviced and fell in love with a Timewalker. Since then the only new I've bought are directly from RGM ( the manufacturer) ... personally i prefer to and handle the watches if new. For vintage I only buy from people I know and trust with one exception ...I bought a UG Tri Compax from Crown And Caliber and was very happy.

citizenrich likes this.
  3. Euxinus Oct 7, 2017

Where are you located in the world? Buying cross boarders will likely result in taxes and duties so this is something to consider as well.

Foo2rama and Larry S like this.
  4. Zhikiat Oct 8, 2017

You might want to check watches out travelling. I am located in South East Asia, most of my watches are not bought locally. I have quite a habit of sourcing for any possible reputable watch dealers when I am overseas. But of course, I would only get it if the price is reasonably better than my home country.

5. Shailor Oct 8, 2017

I would advise you check out the For Sale section here. There are some really good deals to be had from reputable sellers. Before I discovered this site, I bought my Seamaster Professional from Watchmaxx.com. Huge selection, good prices and honest dealings. Ashford.com is another outfit I'd do business with. Do your homework first, though. Nothing like holding the real thing in your hand before buying. Good hunting!

6. Klhender Oct 8, 2017

Good idea - leaving on a cruise on Oct. 10 and always enjoy a visit to the Duty shops on the trip.

7. Kwijibo Oct 8, 2017

My question would be, where are you located and do you have any idea of what you'd like to wear?

8. Klhender Oct 8, 2017

[
    Great information - Other then when you have the money, is there a better time of the year to shop - when do the new models come out?.

9. Shailor Oct 8, 2017

The gray market sellers get their stock from various jewelry stores over or older stock so usually they don't have the most recent pieces available. If you're looking for pieces right out of the factory, then you're looking to authorized dealers or Omega Boutiques.

10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 8, 2017

Be aware no authorized sellers of Omega or Rolex can sell online. They are at best new watches with no warranty, at worst a fake.

11. Kwijibo Oct 9, 2017

There are many good greymarket sellers. I don't feel like debating on grey market but when one knows that big swiss brands have at least two years of stock... They will never confess that they discount their watch but I had my El primero at -50%

Justme likes this.
  12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 9, 2017

If you do buy duty free/0ffshore, do your homework on models and price points before you go. Yes you save on taxes but you should be able to negotiate on the unit price as well. Also important to make sure the unit price is resonable.

13. trackpad Oct 9, 2017

Good for you. There is something to be said for picking up a watch on a holiday that you want to remember. It can worth the extra cost.

I agree with @Larry S – do you homework first, and show up with some notion of models you like and their prices.

In any case, enjoy the process. You’ve worked hard for it, so enjoy it.

citizenrich, OMGRLX and Larry S like this.
  14. Klhender Oct 9, 2017

Perhaps I don't fully understand the term "Grey Market", are you saying that I cannot purchase a new Omega Seamaster 300 or Tudor Black Bay Steel form a authorized dealer .. Online?? (I think I like the research almost as much as the purchase).

15. Klhender Oct 9, 2017

My location is in the central Ohio area between Columbus and Delaware, Ohio. I'm pretty close to deciding between a couple of nice watches including: Omega Seamaster\Planet Ocean, Tudor Black Bay Steel and perhaps .. maybe stepping up to a Rolex Submariner. Ha ..ha ..The Rolex may be too much of a step for me - I'm just an old country boy at heart.

16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Oct 9, 2017

Yes both Omega and Rolex do not allow authorized dealers to sell online. They may market or advertise but they cannot sell via the web. You can call them

These guys are Rolex and Omega authorized. My assumption is an AD can only post MSRP or MAP price.

http://www.traditionaljewelers.com/omega-watches.aspx

17. Kwijibo Oct 9, 2017

Grey market are people who buy the stock that makers can't sell in AD because they produce way too much to sell all their watches thru ADs. Swiss watchmakers say they don't but they actually have to sell their stocks.
    Have a look at Jomashop or prestige time.
    About your choice, I would say, don't chose Tudor. Because it's really expensive to have a ETA movement
    tudor : 3500 dollars
    BB.jpeg
    [​IMG]
    ETA movement : 180 dollars; which makes quite an expensive case and dial
    2824.jpeg :

18. Sublime_1 Oct 9, 2017

Grey Market rides that fine line between authorized dealer and black market. Basically they just buy from overstock and overseas market at discounted rates and resell. There is a GM for just about everything from baby formula to textbooks, with electronics being the largest.

The Gray Market seems to be very polarizing and I'm of the opinion that buying from the GM is a like buying used but unworn. I have purchased from a couple of ADs and different GM sites in the past and I tell you the only difference between the two is the warranty. With AD you get the international warranty and with GM you get their in-house warranty. I have never received a watch in any condition other than perfect with all SNs cards and hang tags in place.

For me it's a matter of math. Seamaster pro for example: $4400 list 4k with discount maybe plus 8-10% taxes or $2500 Gray Market which means I could get almost 3 full services (@550.00 sourced from Omega website) from Omega for before I'm at list cost...And it's Omega, built to last ;). I have to be honest the only watches I have gotten from ADs were memory watches, purchased on vacation or gifts.

Nobody can tell you what to do and it is a tough decision to make. Ordering from the GM has a higher stress level, you aren't 100% on what your gonna end up with and you pray that you will never have to have it warrantied. Ordering from an AD has a much higher cost and getting a discount is difficult but you get to wear the watch before you buy it, they will size it for you, and you have a single point of contact for any issues. I've never gotten more than a 20% discount and mostly just around 10% to cover taxes. But I live in an area where there ADs just don't have to negotiate because they know competition is sparse.

If you do decide to go Gray Market call and make sure they have it in stock.

Seacoast likes this.
  19. Kwijibo Oct 9, 2017

he says it way better than me but I was not born speaking english :p

bovecHD likes this.
  20. adi4 Oct 9, 2017

Not intending to be rude, but this is just so wrong. Tudor has the ETA movements made to a difference specification than the standard grades, so it's not really a good comparison to grab an off the shelf $180 movement and say it's the same. Also, the case, dial, hands, and general QC are what you see/feel on a day-to-day basis. You can't just ignore those aspects of a watch.

In my experience handling them, they make a solid, quality watch and I wouldn't hesitate to spend in that range for an ETA movement if I were in the market for one.

COYI likes this.