Forums Latest Members
  1. Flingit1200s Feb 6, 2015

Evening all. I am brand new to the forum and new to Omegas. In a couple months, I'll turn 50 and would like an Omega from my wife as my birthday present. She is on board with the idea although there is a catch. I live in Wichita Kansas so the nearest dealers are 2.5 hours away in Oklahoma City or Tulsa. Kansas City has a dealer and that is almost 3 hours away. There are also a couple of dealers online that sell new Omegas but I know nothing about them and don't see them talked about here on Omega Forums. I've never laid eyes on any of these watches but think that the Seamster Pro with black dial might be a good starting point. If you were in my shoes, how would you go about buying your first new Omega?

John

2. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 6, 2015

I bought my Omega speedy via eBay. I never did try one on prior and knew I would love it despite not wearing one prior to buying. My mind set was this is the best watch to enter into the "luxury" watch market, has an amazing history and is the best value. I can go on and on about these. I own two and hope to get a third this year.

I think you go on a road trip for the SMP.

flw likes this.
  3. nokaoi1 Feb 6, 2015

I bought my first from an AD in Florida. Most dealers should be able to take the order over the phone.

4. alam Feb 6, 2015

There are also reputable gray dealers who will ship to your doors. I'd suggest taking a trip to a dealer, see and try several watches to make sure is the right one for you, then shop around for the best deal.

Nobel Prize and flw like this.
  5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 6, 2015

50 and first Omega worth a trip to the big smoke for purchase and Dinner to celebrate

6. flw history nerd Feb 6, 2015

I bought my first new Omega at 50 as well, at an Omega Boutique close by my home (which I know isn't a lot of help to you). You may want either to go to Kansas City for a weekend and make an event of it, or try one of the trusted sellers here on the Forum. Several of them have very well established reputations for integrity and excellent service. Take a look at the "watches for sale" section and the one on buyer and seller recommendations ... a watch at this price point deserves careful research. In any case, you can't go wrong with a carefully chosen Omega. (I got the same watch as the one you're considering, but in blue ... I love it.)

Let us know what you decide.

7. Flingit1200s Feb 6, 2015

Please forgive me for being so new at this. What is a grey dealer?

8. alam Feb 6, 2015

Gray dealers buy products, in this case watches from an Omega authorized dealer (AD) - and because gray dealers are not subject to price control as AD are, they can offer a higher discount off the MSRP tag. The main thing to consider when a product is purchased in the gray market is that warranty service is covered by the gray dealer and not the original manufacturer. There are pros and cons in buying from an AD or a gray dealer. I have purchased watches from ADs and from reputable gray dealers w/o any problems - the key word is reputable.

Edited Feb 6, 2015
    Mad Dog likes this.
  9. 250scr Feb 6, 2015

I agree, go somewhere and at least see it in person before deciding on a watch. As I've seen watches on the internet and liked the looks, but once I tried them on at a watch shop they didn't feel right to me anymore. Worth the drive imo, like a road trip back when you were in high school, except now you actually have some money in your pocket.

Mad Dog likes this.
  10. TheCaptainOfTech Feb 6, 2015

eBay is good but also there's a seller section on the forum they are a couple the come to mind that I think can defiently help

Good luck & welcome to the forum

11. Flingit1200s Feb 7, 2015

Thank you for all of the great responses and PM's! I've decided to take a road trip soon to an AD to browse. Pictures are good but hands on would be much better. It would be nice to give a local AD my business (assuming there are somewhat competitive) but oddly enough that is not an option. At this point, my intent is to find an Omega or two to enjoy and then pass them down to my son. We shall see what happens. I would like compliment all of you who make up this forum. You have been very helpful and patient with my lack of education on Omegas. It is so common on the inter web to see a new person on a forum ask a "newbie" question and get several smug replies to use the search function. Search is important, but things change rapidly in this world and what applies yesterday doesn't always apply today and everyones situation is a bit different. Well done all! I enjoy being here. Feel free to offer any other advice or links for me to read. I'd like to make an informed purchase.

12. tegee26 Feb 7, 2015

Good luck in your endeavor Flingit. I bought my first Rolex for me and my wife this past year and used these forums as a nice resource to gain knowledge and understanding. It was a memorable experience and very educational.

We visited both Omega and Rolex boutiques to see exactly what we wanted and then purchased both timepieces from a longtime "trusted seller" on the forum. In the end we save over 15% and no tax.

Again good luck and enjoy wearing your Omega.

13. puddlep1rate Feb 7, 2015

On Omega forums here, see:
    Kringkily
    KRLYUZH

They will usually have good deals on certain Omegas both used and new.

Check watchrecon - http://www.watchrecon.com/ for good deals on the watch you are looking for, however be careful to buy from reputable/trustworthy sellers.

14. tegee26 Feb 7, 2015

Exactly. George (aka Kringkily) will set you straight. One of the long time Trusted Sellers here on the forum. Great communication and great pricing.

15. ItsAboutTime Feb 7, 2015

Look into Little Switzerland. They are in the Caribbean and Key West Florida.. Back in 2011 my Seamaster Planet Ocean was $4500 from the Omega stores here in the US. I bought one for $3600 duty free tax free in the Bahamas from Little Switzerland who is a certified Omega Dealer. They also have The Key West Florida store which offers the same prices as the Caribbean stores. My Speedmaster was $3500 US from omega and was only $2800 from Little Switzerland. Its worth giving them a call.

Little Switzerland Westin Resort & Marina
    271 Front Street
    Key West, FL 33040
    248-809-5560 Ext. 20370

interferon likes this.
  16. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Feb 7, 2015

There is one in st Thomas and in st John. I have looked there several times, just never asked for price. I will be there in April, so now I am tempted....

ItsAboutTime likes this.
  17. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Feb 7, 2015

I bought my first new Speedmaster from an out of state AD. The boutiques won't discount but the ADs will (I saved 30-40%) but you have to ask! In addition, since they are shipping out of state, you save the sales tax. Better then grey market dealers because you know who you are buying from and get all necessary papers and stamped warranties. Send me a message for more info.

That being said, I will never buy new again since you save even more by buying second hand, near new, on the Ebay.

18. Flingit1200s Feb 8, 2015

Good posts. I'd really like to see a good selection of watches in person and may and try and check that box this coming week. The watch I buy will be well kept but will be worn and not be a vault queen. I have a Luminox and a Citizen Ti for the rough stuff. That said, I certainly don't need a brand new watch. Something that is in nice condition at a fair price would fit the bill perfectly. I am leaning toward the SMP or maybe a PO but would like one with the more durable bezel (ceramic?).

19. pfb Sep 24, 2019

20. zinengineer Sep 24, 2019

Take the road trip for a long weekend, check out the watches live and then state “I’m just not ready to pull the trigger yet”, very hard words to mumble when you’ve got the shiny thing on your wrist.

Return home and purchase from one of the people mentioned here. I’d also recommend Matt (MDGRWL... watch exchange). He will get the full package including warranty card. Excellent service and pricing. That’s my method for two “significant” event watches I’ve purchased. Every birthday from here forward is a “milestone”

You will more than pay for the long weekend.