Forums Latest Members

Where there is smoke, will there be issues?

1. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Apr 6, 2016

Hi gents,

I recently had a gtg with friends (not the watch kind) and ended up cooking the meat on the grill outside. I wore my Nomos that night and while cooking the meat there was a fair bit of smoke which probably included a bit of grease and fat from the meat. I became very conscious of my watch (this is probably stage 5 or 6 of the watch disease) and finished the meat one handed with the other in my pocket.

Would this smoke and other contaminants be harmful to my watch? I know it would make it dirty outside but would/could it penetrate the movement through the crown? My mind says yes, even if there would be a small o-ring at the crown. What about smoke from a cigarette or cigar? I don't smoke but if it was harmful to my vintage watches, nevermind myself, then I would have to lose some people I know.

Thoughts?

Picture below before @oddboy asks:D
    IMG_2514.JPG

2. tyrantlizardrex Apr 6, 2016

If the watch is properly sealed, my head says you should be ok.

The seals are designed to stop dust/moisture, so if they are there, and not perished/split, the.n they should be doing their job just fine. :)

3. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Apr 6, 2016

Seems as though I can keep all my family members and friends then. That's good news:)

OMGRLX likes this.
  4. cristos71 Apr 6, 2016

I would never choose a watch over family or friends, nor even consider it. I would say you are at least at stage ten of the disease and unfortunately for you the prognosis is not so good. :D

Nitzbar, erlcl3e, chronos and 2 others like this.
  5. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Apr 6, 2016

I would never actually dis-own anyone. I would just have to get a waterproof beater to visit any of them:D

OMGRLX and cristos71 like this.
  6. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Apr 6, 2016

You've obviously been very lucky with your family.
    I'm envious. :whistling:

OMGRLX, BlackTalon, Paedipod and 2 others like this.
  7. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 6, 2016

Nice lookin' watch! Looks like the dial may have been cooked a little by the heat though. :)

chronos, OMGRLX and ulackfocus like this.
  8. ulackfocus Apr 6, 2016

If it were white before the cookout, I'd say oddboy is correct. :p

Hey @VanDamme - was the crown out the whole time too? You know, like it is in your picture?

George.A, Nitzbar, chronos and 2 others like this.
  9. tyrantlizardrex Apr 6, 2016

Do you also have a HUGE case back sticker? :eek:

chronos and ulackfocus like this.
  10. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Apr 6, 2016

Needs more smoke, I can still read the time.:thumbsup:

OMGRLX likes this.
  11. meganfox17 Apr 6, 2016

Hi @VanDamme

My question has nothing to do your Nomos whether it was infused with smoke compounds like nitrites & Nitrosamines found in cooked processed Red Meat.

My question is How Much of Red Meat did to you consume that day actually or any other day.
    Each 50g of Red meat like bacon sausages beef veal lamb eaten daily increases the chance of colorectal cancer by 18%
    (International Agency for Research on Cancer)
    It means the relative risk of a person eating 50 g of red meat per day is 1.18 times higher compared with those who dont eat red meat. Chicken fish rabbit are white meat by the way.
    In UK the risk of colorectal cancer is 61 per 1000 people at some point of their life.
    In Malaysia Colorectal cancer is highest among the Chinese population , the commonest cause of cancer in males , third commonest in females after breast & gynae malignancy

So Stop Being Such a Cry Baby ! Focus on Healthy Eating Habits & Eat plenty of fruits & vegetables that have cancer fighting properties !

-meganfox- shaking her head in disbelief
    [emoji52]

Miss_Bourginskay and OMGRLX like this.
  12. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Apr 6, 2016

Don't you guys wear your watches with stickers, front and back, and with the crown out? Here you go @tyrantlizardrex :
    IMG_2517.JPG

::facepalm1::Perhaps not the best picture considering the question. Full disclosure. This is the picture I took of the watch at the boutique prior to purchasing it in Jan 2015. Just wanted to show off the dial colour I managed to capture.

Here is how I actually wear it...
    IMG_6376.JPG

Note to self. Take new pictures.

Nitzbar, chronos, jsaen and 2 others like this.
  13. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Apr 6, 2016

Unfortunately, where I am from @meganfox17 we do eat our fair share of red meat. White meat is almost considered a vegetable. I do eat my fruit and veg though. Thanks for the heads-up.:thumbsup:

meganfox17 likes this.
  14. ulackfocus Apr 6, 2016

That's not what I would call unfortunate! The four food groups are brown, red, beige, and white.

Nitzbar and OMGRLX like this.
  15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 6, 2016

@VanDamme
    Have you farted with your watch on.....

16. meganfox17 Apr 6, 2016

[emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji12] [emoji137]
    Thank You @STANDY [emoji13] You made me laugh for the 1st time today...i needed that !

Miss_Bourginskay and STANDY like this.
  17. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Apr 6, 2016

Thanks for all the responses guys. It is a weird topic but it was a genuine question. I have had something similar happen before with my Tag beater but I wasn't worried at all as it is waterproof and has a screw-down crown. I didn't intentionally stick my hand over the fire or food but that's what happens when you are cooking sometimes:
    IMG_7292 - Copy.JPG

meganfox17 likes this.
  18. arkstfan Apr 6, 2016

Salt, sugar, grease, red meat, the four food groups.

OMGRLX likes this.
  19. meganfox17 Apr 6, 2016

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

OMGRLX and Miss_Bourginskay like this.
  20. VanDamme NOT "The Muscles from Brussels" Apr 6, 2016

It cleaned up just fine don't worry. It's a hardy little bugger!
    IMG_4276.JPG

erlcl3e and meganfox17 like this.