Forums Latest Members
  1. dootcho May 19, 2018

Hi all,

As promised in my previous post I would like to present some of the pieces in my collection from time to time.

I am usually a silent member, part of the reason is that i don't consider myself educated enough to be a valuable contributor to the forum but I would like to give something back. I promise things will improve with time (my pictures, the research behind my watches..) in no way i consider my collection outstanding and i am pretty sure most of the watches have flaws, majority of my purchases were done based on what my heart was telling me rather than the brain and i won't be offended to hear OF members' opinions even if negative.

The first piecce I am presenting is a "humble" Dynamic ref. 166.081 with Cal. 565, this was not my first Omega (i will show you the first one and I am sure it will make more heads turn than this one) but it was the one that really got me hooked on vintage Omegas.

I won't be too technical about the watch (i believe glass and crown are not correct), at the time I bought it I knew nothing about Omegas, what really got me was the design and the look of it: a square cushion case, orange hand on a black dial.... this was the '70s in the purest form! The radial finishing, the unconventional colors, the fact that this was a renowned brand and still it looked like an everyday watch and only if you stopped for a second to contemplate the harmony and beauty in its components you could understand this was no something "more".

There is a nice story as to how I came to own this watch, it was 2007, I was a student travelling with my dad to Buenos Aires. We were browsing through antiques shops when I saw it in display on a stand and told my dad I really liked it. What followed was an intense negotiation between the seller and my dad and the whole scene looked rather odd to me, not knowing how much an Omega could cost I thought the asking price was fair and my dad was trying to get it for free. In the end they didn't agree on a final pricing for a difference of $100 and my dad decided to walk away. It was the first time in my life I felt sad for something so superficial and yet so beautiful that I decided I was going to fix this. After coming out of the shop i told my dad i really wanted the watch, i asked him to give me the money he was ready to put on the table and told him I'd convince the owner. My dad liked the challenge, he was curious to see if I could succeed where he failed and gave me the money, I went back to the shop and after a couple of minutes of browsing through the displays pretending I wasn't there for the watch I started talking to the shopkeeper, what i told him was that my father was not going to give me more than what he previously offered, but I had 50 Euros in my pocket that I was ready to add to the deal and that was all i had with me.

As I came out of the shop I saw my dad really proud of what I achieved, I never told him how things went but he never asked so i guess I didn't lie to him (nor cheat..), while we were going back to the hotel i recall his comments on how he liked the watch and he thought I did the right thing going back to the shop.

After this purchase many more have come but i'll tell you more on the next posts. image2.jpeg image1.jpeg