Forums Latest Members

Where is the regulator on a 935?

1. DManzaluni May 6, 2016

Does anyone know where the regulator is on a 9 ligne 35 please? I can see the F&S but no mean of adjusting it besides lengthening or shortening the hairspring on that adorable bean shaped post?!

I just picked up this pretty watch (yes, I know it must be a redial) and it is so nice that I have started to wear it but it loses 5 minutes a day.

20160506_165639-1_resized.jpg 20160506_170022-1_resized.jpg 20160506_170154-1_resized.jpg 20160506_170502-1_resized.jpg

Is the ruby surround likely to move around?

2. Canuck May 6, 2016

Your are missing the regulator! The hairspring stud is called a "collar button stud" on many makes of watches. The collar button stud is held in place with the kidney shaped bib. The bib and the stud have nothing whatsoever to do with regulating the watch. The image attached is of a Longines caliber 12.92, and the movement is a fairly typical Longines layout, although perhaps a bit older, and larger than yours. This one has a flat hairspring, and I believe yours is an over coil type, hence the stud. Your pictures are poor, so judging detail is difficult! The 12.92 has a different stud, but the regulator is there. That will give you the idea of what you are missing.

image.jpeg

3. ulackfocus May 6, 2016

If your watch is losing 5 minutes a day, it needs a service not just regulation.

Archer likes this.
  4. Canuck May 6, 2016

No sense servicing the watch until the regulator problem is solved would be my guess!

5. DManzaluni May 6, 2016

I figured that as there really is no need to put any F&S markers on if there is no pointer! But I once had a Vacheron demi-hunter wrist watch with no regulator

Do I need a Longines caliber 12.92 specific regulator or just one from any number of similar calibre watches made by Longines which fits?

6. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! May 6, 2016

The part is likely not specific to a single caliber but rather interchangeable. The overcoil is a crucial detail though.

7. Canuck May 6, 2016

I only showed the caliber 12.92 to give a reference for the part you need. The regulator for the 12.92 would not be suitable, as the hairspring on it is flat, and I suspect yours is a Breguet, with overcoil. The critical factors will be the outside diameter of the jewel setting which the regulator fits over, the orientation of the gnomon (pointer) relative to the tail of the regulator where the curb pins fit, a regulator body that is compatible with the kidney shaped bib, and the correct location of the curb pins for the overcoil. There are probably plenty of different movement calibers around with regulators that might do, but finding one will be a challenge. I am unable to tell you where to begin to look! You might be looking for a parts movement! Are you planning on doing this yourself? Do you have the experience?

8. ulackfocus May 6, 2016

The VC was a free sprung balance.

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 7, 2016

Not sure what you consider servicing, but for me that would include rectifying the regulator issues...

Sometimes parts are interchangeable between calibers, and sometimes not. Sometimes parts are not even interchangeable with the same caliber when the ages of the two movements are different, as things get changed over time. Best advice is to take this to a competent watchmaker who knows how to properly service the watch, including finding you a new regulator.

Cheers, Al

10. Canuck May 7, 2016

What I said was simple to understand I believe! Find a regulator first, fit it, know that it is correct, THEN service the watch. It would not make sense to service the watch first, then try to locate and fit a proper regulator!

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 7, 2016

So are you suggesting the watch owner should find the proper parts?

12. Canuck May 7, 2016

::facepalm1::

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 7, 2016

Ditto. As I said, for me servicing the watch would include fixing it all, including finding a new regulator. That's what servicing is, making it right again.

14. DManzaluni May 14, 2016

Actually I have done the opposite and am waiting to see how it works. I took it to an incompetent repairman and asked him: He turned around, pulled out a drawer with some movements in it (he has been repairing since the mid 1940s) and after a minute's worth of looking, found a Longines movement identical down to even that bean shaped breguet overcoil post! He said there isnt enough space there to put a regulator in and will switch the whole balance with the whole bridge.

Yes, I DO know that having said this, not to post photos because the Al Franken brigade will post abusive messages about it if I DO ever manage to get my watch repaired!

Syrte likes this.