Forums Latest Members

[Where] Do you mail your watches to be serviced?

1. 89-0 Jul 17, 2018

Two parter:

1) do you look for a local watch repair shop or are you OK with mailing your watch off? and
    2) that being said, my 50's Zenith needs a maintenance service. I'm in NYC, looking for a dependable shop that won't rip me a new one on the bill.

Thanks!

2. sjg22 Jul 17, 2018

I have a local watchmaker who is ok but not great. I use him for lesser value, more easily replaceable watches.

When it’s something valuable, rare and that needs careful attention, I find the best watchmaker for the job regardless of where they’re located and find a way to get them the watch. Using known pros also helps build a provenance for the watch if you ever decide to sell it.

A Parcel Pro account is a good resource for shipping, although I find Canada Post/USPS to be better in terms of duties and taxes when shipping internationally.

sdre, queriver, ext1 and 1 other person like this.
  3. ext1 Jul 17, 2018

Very true. USPS doesn't give a second look to my packages while all the other courier companies are looking for the chance to make me pay for unsolicited "customs broker fees"...

4. ulackfocus Jul 17, 2018

Wait..... watches need to be serviced? ::confused2::

Uh oh. :confused:

Hold on - this is a joke right? The next thing you'll tell me is I should change the oil in my car instead of just adding a quart when it's low. :rolleyes:

5. proximal Jul 18, 2018

I've sent stuff to Canada for repair by USPS, clearly marked as for repair. Shipping back has been by FedEx and I've never had to pay anything for customs- there are customs codes you can use to designate something as goods returned from repair.

Tip: I've used FedEx's hold at facility service. You can pick it up from your local FedEx office, which means you can get your watch back on your own time. No waiting around because a signature is required or fear of the package getting stolen off your porch.

6. ext1 Jul 18, 2018

Yes, except that the vast majority of the time I don't intend to send back the things I'm receiving :D

Thanks for the tip though!

7. xeasygoingx Aug 6, 2018

Always trying to find a local watchmaker or certified brand shop ... I prefer to discuss the order face to face to prevent any misunderstanding during the service. Fortunately there is a good infrastructure of watchmakers in my region (Rhein-Main-Area, Germany). If somebody needs a recommendation please ask (have in-/direct experience with Omega and Sinn).

8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 6, 2018

We are blessed in Chicagoland with good watchmakers. That is perhaps because we are a city of immigrants. I hear very often that NYC is a tough place for watchmakers. I can only assume it’s the rents. No need to risk customs. Happy to provide referrals. 250-500 depending on condition and complexity seems the rate out here. PM if you need a referral.