Forums Latest Members

Where do you go for watch-related content

1. R3D9 Apr 9, 2017

I admit it... I'm completely and utterly obsessed with watches and I can't get enough.

I consume everything I can find (the threads on this forum, YouTube, websites) and still I find myself wanting more.

A few of my favourite watch-related content creators:

Time4aPint (Podcast)
    Watchpaper (website)
    Watchtime (website)
    Fratello Watches (website)
    Worn & Wound (website and podcast)
    A Blog to Watch (website - rarely lines up with my taste but interesting nonetheless)
    The Grey NATO (podcast - highly recommended)
    SJX (website)
    HODINKEE (I know, I know, but Jack Forster is the man and I don't care what anyone thinks)
    Speedmaster101 (website - the blog section is unbelievable informative and fun to read)
    The Prodigal Fool (on Twitter - he makes me laugh)
    Bani McSpedden (a solid Twitter/Instagram follow - for whatever reason I love his perspective. Old school)
    TheWatches.TV (YouTube)
    The Urban Gentry (YouTube)
    Federico Talks Watches (YouTube but now sadly kept prisoner by Watchuwant)
    Timepiece Chronicle (YouTube)
    Crown & Calibre (YouTube and website)
    Theo & Harris (YouTube - admittedly self promotional, but the quality is high)

I'm pretty sure I missed a few.

Where do you go to consume watch-related content? Are there books anyone can suggest? Blogs I've missed? I look to this stuff to learn but also to be entertained.

Edited Apr 10, 2017
    tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  2. M.C.B1974 Apr 9, 2017

I feel your obsession my friend.:)
    I can spend all day talking watches or trying to learn more about watches, locally I have no one who likes to talk watches. I will have to check out some of the sites that you mentioned.

watchme and R3D9 like this.
  3. R3D9 Apr 9, 2017

We need a 24 hour conference call line where we can call into anytime we feel like conversing with someone who understands our obsession :thumbsup:

ahartfie and M.C.B1974 like this.
  4. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Apr 10, 2017

Have you listened to the Time 4A Pint podcast made by our own tyrantlizardrex?

tyrantlizardrex and R3D9 like this.
  5. R3D9 Apr 10, 2017

Agh!!! Totally forgot to include that, and it's a forum member to boot!!! Yes, I found it this week and loved all three of the first episodes.

Thanks for the reminder. I'm going to edit the list and put it at the top :)

Another source of info for iOS users is an app called Watchville - it was bought by HODINKEE a while back but it basically aggregates a dozen or so watch websites into one feed... great stuff.

tyrantlizardrex and ahartfie like this.
  6. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Apr 10, 2017

Wow...that is a lot of content to follow!

My trinity are OF, IG, and ebay...in no particular order.

OMGRLX likes this.
  7. R3D9 Apr 10, 2017

Yep! My forum name should have been @watchknut , but unfortunately it was already taken ;)

8. shishy www.hpmor.com Apr 10, 2017

Holy cow, that's a lot. I didn't even know some of those existed. The extent of my consumption is WUS/OF/MWR/Chronotrader and occasionally Worn and Wound... good for you. I'll have to check out some of these.

9. yinzerniner Apr 10, 2017

I would add pretty much any technical post by @Archer onto your list. Incredibly knowledgeable and his pictorial exhibits are better than most college courses.

Revolution, Monochrome and Quill & Pad are quite good if not a bit heavy on the upmarket vibe. Interesting reads nonetheless.

10. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Apr 10, 2017

OF, TRF, YouTube and Instagram about covers it for me...

11. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Apr 10, 2017

Wholeheartedly agree...we are lucky [extremely lucky] to have @Archer at OF. :thumbsup:

ahartfie, tyrantlizardrex and R3D9 like this.
  12. TLIGuy Apr 11, 2017

This is how my typical morning unfolds and how I go about keeping up to date regarding horological events.

Beginning at 4:30am here in Italy I brew a nice cup of coffee and plant myself on the couch with the laptop and begin my daily ritual of sorting through the various happenings in the world of watches.

It all happens in the following order....

1) ebay - I check ebay first for newly listed Speedmasters, JB Champion bracelets, and Speedmaster case backs. With the 4:30am time advantage I can beat my still sleeping European friends and my recently to bed or still working US counterparts to the buy before anyone sees the item listed. That said, if a set of watch calendars ends at 6pm PST I will set my alarm for 3am here wake up and snipe the hell out of them. ebay also has to be first so I can see and be familiar with the watches that will be shredded here later in the day.

2) Hodinkee - I have no rational explanation why I check in here. I think what keeps me going back is the anticipation of the possible collaboration watch between Hodinkee and Buffalo Wild Wings Cafe that people were getting bent about a few days ago. Again, the time advantage here will allow me to pick up one of these limited edition watches well before my pacific coast friends wake up and see it has already been sold out.

3) Fratellowatches - I check in here religiously every morning for great content and multiple times during the morning on Tuesday patiently waiting for RJ to wake up and post his Speedy Tuesday article.

4) TimeZone - I really only check into TZ for two reasons. I look a the Omega sub forum to see the big sign that says."Blank # of days since the last posting" If on the off chance there is a new post I will click on it just to see the message from the moderator that says "We don't allow valuations <www.link removed>." That said, while the Omega forum is virtually non-existent I will scroll through the pretty active sales forums.

5) The Rolex Forum - Since I haven't paid my Pledge Member dues I tend to lay low and just scroll through the content. The Vintage Rolex sub forum is my first stop to keep me up to date on the 1675 GMT's and then it's off to the Open forum which I will say is pretty good. There are lots of various topics of interest to keep everyone happy. If you need to know about dress shoes, bespoke wallets, or find a great Romanian restaurant that's where you want to be. I follow that visit with a quick peek at the Omega sub forum for what reason I still can't explain. Lastly, I look at the sales forum and shake my head in amazement and the prices of faded1675 GMT inserts.

6) Watchuseek - I visit WUS because "It's the most visited watch forum site....In the World," and as a member of the world I feel it's my civic duty to visit. I first begin with a brief stop in the Public forum, if for no other reason then to check on the progress of the "Will Omega ever be as good as Rolex?" mega thread. I don't look at the thread for its content but only to see what page it's one now. It has to be one of the longest threads in the history of watch forums. I then check into the Rolex sub forum to see the "Why should I buy a Planet Ocean?" thread and after that it's off to the Omega sub forum to see the "Why should I buy a Submariner?" thread. I also enjoy the Omega forum at WUS because that's where the posters go to repost the question they posted earlier at the Omega Forum and after not getting the answer they wanted there they post the same question at WUS hoping to see something different. Lastly, it's with great sadness I take a quick glance at the NASA and Space Topics forum header and see it hasn't seen a post in 4 weeks but I pull myself together, wipe the tear from my eye, and reluctantly move on.

7) Collectspace.com - Hands down the best site on the web for space news and information. The Hardware & Flown Items forum has a great Speedmaster thread and the knowledge there is on par with the Omega Forum.

At this point in my morning I get a second cup of coffee and put on my "Defender of all things Speedmaster, NASA, and Astronaut" cape on.

8) Omega Forum - I save what is the best for last. After scrolling through all the crap out there I like to finish on a high note before work and I do that here at the Omega Forum. I like to start at the bottom and work my way up. First I check into the WTB forum and see if I can help point someone in the right direction looking for something I might have seen during my earlier adventures in the morning. After that it's a quick peek into the Parts & Accessories forum hoping to stumble onto a cheap 145.0012 case back. I then delve into the Private Watch sales forum not because I want to buy something but I love to see what's for sale. I'm so jealous of the member selling a 105.003 and even more jealous of the person lucky enough to buy it. Now I change it up and go straight to the top to the Modern forum. I scroll through the threads stopping only at threads containing the following key words Speedmaster, NASA, Astronaut, JB Champion, Timely Calendar, Apollo, Help, Noobie, Uncle, CarBoot, Douche Canoe, Should I, Tell me, I just bought, and Hodinkee. From there I visit the Vintage forum looking for the same key words only adding CK2998, 105.003, 105.012, 145.012, and any thread that has transitional or -68 in the title to the list. After that the end is in sight for the morning and I check into the Open forum. I don't look for anything in particular here but I do open any thread started by @tyrantlizardrex because I always like a good laugh. Lastly, I finish my morning by checking into the WRUW Today forum and before logging out I decide if I want to change my avatar.

Now it's off to work.

Nood now fixed!

Edited Apr 11, 2017
    ahartfie, R3D9, ConElPueblo and 2 others like this.
  13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 11, 2017

My next thread title for @TLIGuy

Astronaut transitional needs help as uncle Douche canoe is in my car boot

14. MaiLollo Apr 11, 2017

And I thought I was a crazy person! Grazie di esistere :D

15. ConElPueblo Apr 11, 2017

"Nood transitional - Should I?" is an obvious trap!

TLIGuy likes this.
  16. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Apr 11, 2017

R3D9 likes this.
  17. TLIGuy Apr 11, 2017

Noob!! Like I said, it was 4:30am.

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 11, 2017

Moonwatchuniverse - never worked that site out as there is hardly any moon watches
    " NASA pictures and stuff " would be a better name.