Forums Latest Members

Where do discontinued watches go? (And a few other questions)

1. Threemann Apr 16, 2017

hello,

I have been lurking around looking for a new watch. I had my heart set on a speedmaster pro, but as I thought about it, the limited water resistance has swayed me to a seamaster (I spend way too much time around the water to risk it). I have moved my obsession to the planet ocean chronograph. The the only color that jumps out to me is the blue and with all the improvements over the last version, the option I like best is a titanium case. For that reason, I am searching for the older version.

This leads me to asking, where do the discontinued watches go? Do boutiques have some in the back? Are places like Jomashop the only game in town? In your opinion, is the new version superior to the point that I should only consider that version?

I will go to the local boutique to figure out the weight issue because that is feel more than just numbers.

I would ask all of that to the team at the boutique, as nice as they are, I know they need to eat and will sway me to walk out with one of their watches. Everyone here gives solid advice and I appreciate the input.

Thank you for your time and I apologize if I am repeating a thread. I searched with for a while and couldn't find much.

pippy, Mad Dog and STANDY like this.
  2. jcs2000 Apr 16, 2017

It depends.

All discontinued means is that it is not being produced. Existing inventory generally remains in the boutiques or with AD until it is sold.

If the model is a poor seller then many of these models do get dumped into the grey market channel to make room for newer models.

Some $$$$ brands will actually buy back the unsold stock and then repurpose the watch for spare parts or recycle some the components for other models.

So if this a recent model (last 3 years) call around and see if it is in stock locally. Otherwise the internet is always your friend to find what u want.

BrianMcKay and ffej4 like this.
  3. Threemann Apr 16, 2017

Thank you, I will ask around.

4. g-boac Apr 16, 2017

I've read, within the past year, of a handful of 2010 Speedmaster Apollo-Soyuz 35th being available unsold in a couple of Omega Boutiques.

Although not as recently, around 2012, I was looking for an Omega that was discontinued about two years prior, and when I asked at the Boutique in Houston, within a couple days, they had about a six models located for me scattered throughout US OB's. Additionally, they offered me the choice of simply having a model shipped to the Houston Boutique, or, the contact information directly to the Boutiques (one was in St. Louis - but there were a few others) where I was welcome to speak with the managers there directly to ask questions of the watch. They also told me that they can do a worldwide OB search, although that takes longer.

As recently as July 2014, one AD (Jim at Continental Jewelers) sold his last PO2500, while another Govberg in PA, had a few more on hand for a while longer (although those were on leather + deployant, versus bracelet).

With regard to the Boutique, you may need to persist a little, or ask a manager, or a second salesman - the team at the boutique range from new teammates who genuinely have no idea that there is a way to search stock at other boutiques, to others who do, because they've assisted customers previously. Good luck!!

BrianMcKay likes this.
  5. g-boac Apr 16, 2017

One more point - if you had your heart set on a Speedmaster Pro, go for it!! If you can only have one Omega, there is only one moonwatch!! Even if WR only 50m, 150 feet is pretty doggone deep - that's 30 times deeper than your average pool, and below max depth for no-decompression recreational diving. Even if you ran this situation to the worst-case outcome and assumed your watch got totally flooded. . .with a current production watch, every single part is replaceable, including dial and hands!!

Besides:
    s69-22265.jpg apollo-15_recovery.jpg Clancy+jumping+from+66+SIMEX+Apollo+11+Swimmer+Team+-+Blair.jpg

TJH, pippy, George.A and 6 others like this.
  6. tyrantlizardrex Apr 16, 2017

In the central London boutiques, last week, there was still an Apollo 11 35th, and a 50th Anniversary Wooden box.

Stuff sometimes gets moved around, but often seems to sit in a safe until someone buys it.

Golden rule seems to be that it's always worth asking what they have out the back... ;)

George.A, BrianMcKay and Mr Gadget like this.
  7. Monkey Nutter Apr 16, 2017

What about the PO Good Planet?

It's Blue, current stock and looks awesome! Screenshot_2017-04-17-00-02-47.png

chanbar likes this.
  8. Monkey Nutter Apr 16, 2017

Apologies - i just reread your post you want a chronograph right?

This a GMT not a chronograph.

Sorry!

9. Mad Dog rockpaperscissorschampion Apr 16, 2017

pippy, g-boac and ahartfie like this.
  10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Apr 16, 2017

Most places can look one up in the system
    Have known OBs to order from around the globe if there is one in stock

11. Threemann May 13, 2017

Thank you all for your responses. My line of work and lifestyle leans more toward the frogmen than the astronauts. After a great deal of thought, I come to the decision that the diver is much more my style. Everyone here is very passionate about their watches and I really enjoy reading all of the posts. One consistent theme is "get the watch that speaks to you." Without a doubt, the planet ocean chronograph spoke up to me. I managed to get one this week.

IMG_1768.JPG
    Nitzbar, Ranger230, ahartfie and 12 others like this.
  12. bags1971 May 13, 2017

congrats finding what you wanted very nice watch

13. chanbar May 13, 2017

Nice pick!

14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 14, 2017

Congrats great piece. I've got its older brother.

15. pianomankd May 14, 2017

Congratulations on the piece! Wear it well!

16. Camguy May 17, 2017

When I bought my 2538.20 back in 2003, the AD gave me a 25% discount. He told me they were discontinuing the model, so I assume he wanted to clear the inventory for current production.

Ranger230 and pippy like this.