Forums Latest Members
  1. Poday Jul 4, 2014

My Speedsonic "Lobster" has been away at the spa since January, and is finally headed home this week. So, naturally, I've been having dreams about our reunion, and that got me to thinking, why are there so many (in relative terms, of course) of these pieces being sold with replacement bracelets? It seems like 8 out of 10 that I see for sale are fitted with a bar style bracelet, and photographed in a way that makes that less than obvious.

Vintage gold watches missing their original bracelets make good sense to me (melt value), but that logic obviously doesn't apply here. So why are so many of these missing their original bracelet?

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 4, 2014

Because they were a miserable design and fall apart.

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  3. Poday Jul 4, 2014

Well there you go! Mystery solved. Sure are pretty though...

Northernman likes this.
  4. Northernman Lemaniac Jul 4, 2014

There where also versions with a steel / leather strap combo. The leather strap to fit is no longer available. Had to customize one to fit one of mine.
    bilde 3.JPG

LobsterStrap.jpg

5. Poday Jul 4, 2014

I love the look of the leather/steel strap combo on these, but I have resigned myself to the fact that I'll probably never find one.

6. Northernman Lemaniac Jul 4, 2014

They do surface from time to time, but by no means a frequent sight!
    Actually very comfortable on the wrist.

7. webvan Jul 4, 2014

They are indeed a bit fragile with their internal "mesh" structure. I've seen that structure replaced by a metal strip, something that might have been done by Omega at some point since it wasn't a unique encounter.

I found these "end pieces" on the bay too but have not been able to make a decent custom strap to fit it...maybe I'll try again with rubber as that might lend itself to cutting.

Where did you send your lobster for a "spa" treatment? What kind of bracelet combination do you have on it?

8. Northernman Lemaniac Jul 4, 2014

Personally I found a wide enough leather strap, and modified the ends to fit inside the end piece. The "cut marks" will be all covered by the end piece anyhow. The leather strap goes all the way through the end piece and is secured almost like normal with link pins to the case.
    Picture below shows the original strap (not my watch), but should give an idea:
    StrapAttachement.jpg

9. Poday Jul 4, 2014

I should have been more clear, mine has the lobster bracelet, I've just noticed that a majority for sale seem to be fitted with a bar style bracelet.

I sent it to Jack at IWW. The minute totalizer hand wasn't resetting to zero, and all of the subdial hands were in pretty poor shape.