Forums Latest Members

Where Can I Get Watch Parts (including A Case) That Fits A 551 Connie Movement?

1. Y.S. Jun 4, 2013

Hi,

I am new to the forum and quite new to Omega watches. However I do have a slight itch for vintage Constellations. So I have been searching eBay for some bargains for the last few weeks or so, and encountered a 551 movement which seems in a good state, all original, and managed to acquire it for about 100$ altogether.
    Now I have decided to start a project and get the right case, piepan dial, crystal, hands and crown. I know that's lot's of work, but this is kind-of the point, and I do know how to match everything right. eBay does seem to be the first place to start, but could there be any other website where I might find other spares for a late 50s early 60s Connie, including a case?

Thanks!

(These are the images. They are not mine, and they don't show much, but it did seem like the seller was legit).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jun 4, 2013

Y.S. likes this.
  3. Y.S. Jun 4, 2013

Thanks!
    Don't they sell refinished parts also? I have encountered this one, which seems a little odd (or perhaps, a really early 50's dial):
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-1950-...75?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item589ee8db53Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 4, 2013

I took a quick look at the WatchCo eBay site and they do have a steel caseback and (dome) dial for the Ref. 167.005. Prices were not ridiculous, but postage from Australia to the US usually is. A spare pie-pan dial in good original condition could go upwards of $400, if you could find one. More if it has rose gold markers.

That still leaves you short a lot of parts. All of which are probably obtainable, but at what price and cost? In other words, it may wind up being far more expensive to put together all the pieces, than to buy a nice ready-to-wear vintage Constellation.

Ordinarily, I would say to scour eBay for a non-running example and have a watchmaker exchange the movement. However, that may easier said than done, since these cal. 551 movements are so good that when a non-runner is found, the case and/or dial are usually trashed as well.

But you never know....
    gatorcpa

P.S. - Here is the dome dial for cal. 551:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OMEGA-Autom...ultDomain_15&hash=item2c6e291704#ht_618wt_932Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

The one you posted above is a service dial for a different caliber and probably wouldn't fit either the movement or the case.

Here is the caseback:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-VINTAG...cket_Watches&hash=item51a1f0db9d#ht_755wt_932Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Y.S. likes this.
  5. Y.S. Jun 4, 2013

Yeah, it might get a little too expensive eventually... However, I don't mind an aged dial if it's less expensive... I actually prefer it this way.
    I do like a clean case and crystal though, which could end up being completely non realistic price wise.

p.s. I know it's a 505 dial, I was just wondering about the fonts...

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 4, 2013

Crystals aren't that expensive (maybe $50) and most good parts houses stock them. A "clean" case would be next to impossible to find, unless from a donor watch. Movements are generally the easiest part to find, as so many solid gold cases have been scrapped over the years.

It's a shame you didn't get a cal. 564 movement. There's a good used top loading case for Ref. 168.015 on WatchCo's site for about $100 plus postage. Saves finding the mid-case and bezel, but the dial could be a problem as it's a little different than the Ref. 165.007.

Good luck,
    gatorcpa

Y.S. likes this.
  7. ulackfocus Jun 4, 2013

Y.S. - I have two words for your project: money pit.

Believe me, I know first hand. Tried to correct a really badly frankened 14.381 and gave up - and that was after being given a decent pie pan dial. Find one you like, either on eBay or the sales forum here, buy it and move on. You can always sell that 551 for pretty much what you paid for it.

Y.S. likes this.
  8. Y.S. Jun 6, 2013

Thanks, that's some really helpful advice.