Forums Latest Members

When your mate across the street............

1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 13, 2020

.........finds out that you're a "watch hobbyist".

"So, do you fix them and stuff?" he says as were having a beer in the garage and doing motorbike stuff.

"Yeah, it's like bikes, you ride them, and then want to fix them. Same thing."

"Hang on a mo, I'll be back in a sec."

Some short (not so short!) time later my continued work on my bike is interrupted.

"Here you go, reckon you can do anything with these?"

MicksBucket.JPG

Lucky he's not in a hurry, but I'll save one for when he gets back from the farm (he's isolating).

Then we can get a hammer and an anvil and go to town!

:cool:

Evitzee, wristpirate, DaveK and 6 others like this.
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 13, 2020

PS: I think there's still a couple on the bench in the garage, but it's too bloody cold to go out there at this time of night.
    It's only about 10ºC out there!

3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 13, 2020

Say the Rip Curl would be a quick battery change :thumbsup:

4. WatchCor May 13, 2020

B8TwXOBIgAAz6gq-picsay.jpg

We literally had snow on the ground here yesterday, and yes, it's supposed to be early summer here. It is what it is ::psy::. At least the flora and fauna is much more friendly here than down under.;):D

5. JanV May 13, 2020

I see they came in their original box as well...

Shabbaz likes this.
  6. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 13, 2020

Dead right Andy.

Built like a tank and had a hard life.
    I just popped it open and dropped a new battery in it.
    Not much sense doing a full movement service as it's a Ronda 1 jewel, so it'll probably run for another forty years as long as it gets fed a battery every year or so.
    Then we can put a new movement in it (or someone else can ;)).

7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 13, 2020

Drop that back working tomorrow and your already a wizz in he’s eyes. :thumbsup:

8. Canuck May 13, 2020

Did you ever have anyone say that they understand you “tinker” with watches? With me, it happens once in a while. My short answer (or maybe that should be an abrupt answer), is NO! I don’t “tinker” with watches! It’s usually about then that they realize their mistake.

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 13, 2020

Yep. He runs some sheep and grapes on his farm, so around Spring, I might mention it'd be nice to taste some "non-supermarket" Spring Lamb ;).

pseikotick likes this.
  10. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 13, 2020

Got you Doug.
    I usually tell people, when they really seem interested, that I learn't basic watchmaking as a retirement hobby and I'm not a professional watchmaker.
    But I still seem to get people asking "can you fix this?".
    So I do an evaluation, and if it's within my capabilities I'll help them out. Otherwise I tell them to either bin it and buy another cheap quartz watch, or take it to a watchmaker with a company parts account.

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 13, 2020

I get watches from the neighbours all the time, always quartz. I'm not hung up on what they call it when they ask me, so if it's tinker, fix, work on, or whatever, I cut them slack if they don't use the "right" terminology.

Last one was from a neighbor who lost her husband to cancer last year, after a long battle. It was a wedding gift she gave him on their wedding day, so it has a lot of sentimental value, even if it's just an old Gucci:

Gucci quartz_0011.JPG
    Looked like it had barely been worn, so all it needed was a quick check of the movement, new battery, new case back seal, and a pressure test. She is now wearing the watch in memory of her late husband, and I was happy to do the work gratis, as I always do for the neighbours.

Cheers, Al

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 13, 2020

That was the high temperature here yesterday...and over the weekend we had snow also...

13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 13, 2020

Any houses for sale in your neighbourhood :whistling:

14. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 13, 2020

Hey!
    I was born in Darwin, and spent my childhood in a small town where the temperatures ranged from 47ºC down to a freezing 8ºC.
    So I think it's ingrained, and when we have a heat wave down here, and people are fainting and bitching about the heat, I just smile and say "lovely day isn't it".

But when it gets cold (by my body estimate).......well it's time to stay inside.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 13, 2020

Yes, actually.

apsm100 and STANDY like this.
  16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 13, 2020

That rado could be interesting :)

17. DJG2645 May 13, 2020

This really made me laugh! :D even the missus thought it was funny...then told me to get back to work :whipped:

pseikotick likes this.
  18. abrod520 May 13, 2020

I had the same reaction :D

19. jsducote May 14, 2020

Make it sound as frivolous has he did and he'll volunteer to impress you. "I hear you run some sheep and stuff."