Forums Latest Members

When you first started out....

1. sdre Apr 19, 2018

..... I remembered how a dealer laughed at me and scoffed at my offer to trade in a watch for a 165.024 with top up from my side. His actual words were "are you actually serious? I have plenty of solid offers for the 165.024" if so, why isn't it sold? I wonder. Needless to say, even though I'm on their mailing list, I would never buy from them now that I have enough dough.

Another was this Instagram dealer, does brands like bulova, occasional gallet, zodiac, glycine... And I was really starting out and even now so, I still address someone as sir or a proper greeting and a smiley face. (This was another trade) he told me that the piece I had to trade (an enicar super divette) wasnt a good piece and he low balled for a bigger top up (I mean, I get it. He's a dealer and he's got margins to meet). But his tone and the way he said it was really curt. Like I wasn't worth his time. Sometimes there were no replies even. Perhaps online messaging texting might be a little underwhelming as things do get lost in translation.

Only person who actually entertained all my silly requests and still does is Jacek from Hqmilton. Once, he didn't reply me and when I texted him, again; he apologized and mentioned he wasn't feeling well. I mean I like that it goes to show he's human and that he's really doing his best (even though he lowballed some trades I was enquiring but business is business)

By no means am I any more experienced, but I have made Alot of friends to seek advice from and definitely am happy to help others if it is something I do know/read about.

Share your journey thus far!

Seacow, IDXM, Kmart and 7 others like this.
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 19, 2018

I spilled my guts on Time For A Pint last year. There are a lot of great and patient people out in the world. Many on OF! Unfortunately there are jerks as well be one learns to avoid them.

Edited Apr 19, 2018
    IDXM, keepschanging, Kmart and 4 others like this.
  3. sdre Apr 19, 2018

Sorry could you define spill your guts? Haha. Not too familiar with the context! I hope not literally!

Definitely agree. OF has many experts in brands that they love. Many offering advice over and over, encouraging, never off putting. But there are also some who are rather conniving.....

bigsom likes this.
  4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 19, 2018

Sat down and confessed my addiction journey on the podcast...well fueled by post conference cocktails and beers at the hotel bar.

5. speedamatuer Apr 19, 2018

I bought my first watch from Jacek, he was great to deal with - unfortunately set the bar higher than a couple of other dealers have been able to jump...

sdre and bigsom like this.
  6. ulackfocus Apr 19, 2018

The servers here don't have the capacity to hold my story. :p

isaac.owen.nz, STANDY, Kmart and 6 others like this.
  7. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Apr 19, 2018

I mostly haunted display cases at pawn shops, flea markets, or gun shows in the pre-internet/pre-Ebay days. Thought Ebay was a great boon to mankind. Picked up a few specimens that I enjoy and some few "barking dogs."
    IMG_8059_zpsmsdclbbd (1).jpg

[​IMG]
    Still have this Constellation from some obscure South American location, purchased off of Ebay almost 20 years ago now. Wore it proudly as the default daily watch for quite some time, well ... until joining OmegaForums anyway. Now I'm not sure what to do with it. Have thought of attempting a "redial of a redial" but haven't located a dial restoration site that does a truly good Constellation. Runs "like a spotted ape," but scarcely sees use unless I go visit my parents. My elderly mother keeps the thermostat turned way too high and the bracelet is handy, saving the watches having straps.

michael22, sdre and alam like this.
  8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 19, 2018

Admit it your first watch was a fake Speedy, you’ve been but hurt ever since ;)

Edited Apr 19, 2018
    Kmart, watchknut, michael22 and 7 others like this.
  9. ulackfocus Apr 19, 2018

No, my first Omega was a redialed franken Pie Pan. My first watch was a Texas Instruments LED watch that was über-cool at the time.

omegaswisst, michael22, sdre and 2 others like this.
  10. alam Apr 19, 2018

I suspected there was a battery involved in the story :)

Syrte and ulackfocus like this.
  11. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Apr 19, 2018

I agree Jacek is very responsive and good to deal with.

sdre likes this.
  12. rb10chris Apr 19, 2018

There are a lot of "not-nice" dealers, and there are some that are great to work with. They all command a similar spread, but I'd rather lose money working with someone helpful and pleasant. It doesn't take much to be nice to someone at the end of the day.

IDXM and sdre like this.
  13. ulackfocus Apr 19, 2018

What about being nice to someone at the start of the day? Does that take more effort? ::confused2:: Does it all depend on how much coffee you've had at that time of the morning?

rb10chris likes this.
  14. MaiLollo Apr 19, 2018

When I started out, I was lucky: I couldn't afford dealers' margins so I never bought from a dealer :)

15. sdre Apr 19, 2018

Haha, I was quite the opposite. I looked at dealers as a form of guarantee that I was buying a good piece.

I have a friend who vouches for @omega_enthsiast on ig. Pretty expensive but really good pieces.

16. ulackfocus Apr 19, 2018

Man, that thing used to suck batteries dry quicker than a vampire drains it's victim. Might have had something to do with 12 year old me pushpushpushpushing the button to light the display constantly though....

alam and sdre like this.
  17. sdre Apr 19, 2018

Cmon we all did that once....

18. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Apr 19, 2018

I learned how to shop in
    62951A28-1A67-4D7B-A5E3-61D4B2EC110F.png

19. michael22 Apr 19, 2018

Prior to ebay, I walked into a watchmakers retail shop & bought a C Connie. Just gorgeous with the corrugated bezel. It was stolen.
    Years later, I need to escape from my family, so I jump onto ebay & buy a replacement. I promptly come to OF, & get told its an over polished example, a bit frankened, but not a bad first attempt. To top it off, after a month I stop using it: my 53 yo eyes can't cope with the pail gold hands against a bright white background. Completely useless to me as a timepiece!

IDXM, sdre and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  20. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Apr 19, 2018

+1. And I pretty much still don't. It's a method.
    Although I did buy my most prized watch from a (very nice) dealer, who fully cooperated with my exacting due diligence.

Edited Apr 20, 2018