Forums Latest Members
  1. Chriswvu May 31, 2015

I recently got my first omega/automatic watch. I got the speedy racing and I love it. My watch ticks telling me that it's running but when I shake it, it makes a grinding noise. I know that it's self winding and that it may be the noise that it makes when it's winding itself but it seems kind of loud and will grind for about 5-10 seconds after I stop shaking it. The noise is also different from the noise it makes when I manually wind the watch.

Any help on this from knowledgeable omega owners would be great. I figured I am just being paranoid but if there is actually a problem I still have the warranty. I can also make it to an authorized dealer/ or boutique if you guys think that's what I should do.

Thanks for helping out an omega novice

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 31, 2015

Where are you located, first thing we'd need to know

3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter May 31, 2015

bought new? second-hand? from an AD? etc

4. Hijak May 31, 2015

These come with a 7750 movement. The rotor winds the movement in only one direction and what you could be hearing is it spinning in the other direction. It makes a whirring noise, this could be your "grinding" sound, and it would last for ~10 seconds. I had a Speedmaster triple-date with this movement that did this also. Hope this helps.

5. speedySam3570.50 Jun 13, 2015

Hello - I'm a new member, and have owned a Speedmaster Day Date (ref. 3222.80) for a year now, and have had to send it for service twice already because the 'day' window wheel will not turn over completely. Is this a common problem with this model, or do I have a 'lemon'?

6. Canuck Jun 13, 2015

I wouldn't say that you should call your watch a lemon. Proper diagnosis of what is causing the problem would determine which specific part is which is not doing its job. You say you've had it looked at twice. Was the watch new when you bought it? Was it from an authorized dealer? Was it Omega that was dealing with the calendar problem? Is the watch under warranty? If it wasn't Omega that worked on it twice, but an independent shop, then I think you need to try another shop. Is this a common problem with this model? No! But it can happen to some watches that have the day/date feature.

7. speedySam3570.50 Jun 14, 2015

Dear Canuck,
    Thanks for your reply! Yes, I bought the watch new from Jared Galleria of Diamonds, and they are an authorized Omega dealer. As I have found out, they use their own outside servicing agent and not Omega, but I did get their "Ultimate Watch Plan" warranty, so I'm guessing that I would invalidate that warranty if I didn't go back to them for service. BTW, it took them four months to return the watch to me, and the problem was not solved, so I'm not impressed with their service. If this issue is still not resolved, I'm going to try and contact Omega directly and see if they can help me. Ah, the world we live in now, where it's all about the 'sale,' and customer service is nonexistent. BTW, I also took my 3570.50 to them (an authorized Omega dealer, mind you) for overhaul, and it came back with the hour hand of the chronograph running constantly (it came BACK with a problem after overhaul!). Any recommendations on a shop that is reliable for working on Omegas, or do I just need to send it into the company directly? Thanks!

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 14, 2015

Something here is not adding up...was this watch sold as a brand new watch, or was it bought used? If it was bought as a brand new watch, then something is really off. If they are truly and AD, then it makes no sense at all that they would hire an outside watchmaker to perform warranty service on new watches - they would have to pay the watchmaker to service it under their warranty, where Omega would cover the cost of that if they did it. The dealer would be losing money if this is a new watch...unless they charge a horrendously high rate for this ultimate warranty, or they pay their watchmaker next to nothing - both likely apply in this case.

If this was a used watch, then this makes more sense.

Either way, I would take it back to them and insist they send it to Omega for servicing. This watch is not particularly complicated (it's a co-axial version of the Cal. 1151 - based on the ETA 7751) but it sounds like both your experiences with their outside service place are pretty poor. A warranty isn't worth much if the watch never gets fixed right. If they watchmaker can't get the calendar working correctly on this watch, I can only imagine how much they would struggle with properly servicing the co-axial escapement...

Cheers, Al

Canadian Buck and davidswiss like this.