Forums Latest Members

When love fails to blossom .... or is it buyer's remorse?

1. jimmyd13 Sep 12, 2017

I should be dancing on air right now.

I have two watches coming back from two separate watch makers this week. I haven't been able to wear either since I bought them as both needed work. They are both at different extremes of watch collecting.

The first, which should be with me on Thursday, is a wonderful 2998. One owner from new sold it to the chap I bought it from in the mid 90's. He kept it in a drawer when the hour recorder stopped working shortly after he bought it. The venerable (no, he's too young to be venerable and that adjective should only be used for Mr. Maddox) Simon Freese has giving this watch his attention and it should be all correct bar the later bezel. A conversation with our very own @Spacefruit convinced me to keep the replacement bezel, at least for now, as it is part of the watch's story. I should be bursting with anticipation of wearing this for the first time ... but I'm not. I can't understand why not. Am I worried that it's too valuable to wear in the real world? That it might be damaged? I have other rare and valuable watches that I give no thought to wearing every single day ... so why am I so un-excited about what should be a true grail? Here's what she looked like when she left me:
    IMAG0789.jpg

The second is something that should be pure unadulterated fun. A Sorna World Timer from the early 70s that I've had for over two years. That has been through the workshops of three watchmakers and always been returned as "not repairable". I was talking to a retired watchmaker a couple of weeks ago who asked if I would let him "have a go" at it. He called me to say it took him 15 minutes to repair as someone had put the click spring in the wrong way round. When I bought this as a non-working piece, I had a strap made for it. It was going to be my "Summer Soldier", inspired by the Marvel film "The Winter Soldier". This is what the Sorna was like the last time I photographed her:
    WLilS8H.jpg
    and these are her new shoes ...
    Q1Ggcmy.jpg
    So, is this my first time experiencing "buyer's remorse" or have I just reached the point where I genuinely have too many watches?

Jwit, bovecHD, Seaborg and 1 other person like this.
  2. w154 Sep 12, 2017

Could it be the bezel that's the problem ?

PS: Super cool strap for the Sorna :thumbsup:

3. jimmyd13 Sep 12, 2017

Perhaps .... would I be happier with it if I spent another £3000 on it? That's a dangerous question.

And yeah ... that strap is pretty damn cool, ain't it? ;)

4. GuiltyBoomerang Sep 12, 2017

Well, if you feel like you have too many, time to consoliate :>

jimmyd13 likes this.
  5. w154 Sep 12, 2017

Maybe the Sorna strap on the Speedie would solve everything ;)

6. jimmyd13 Sep 12, 2017

Yes. NO!!!! I can't sell something that has been on my radar for so long. Oh god. I suppose I could sell my 220? But I truly love that watch. Can a man have too many Speedmasters?

I have sold watches from my own collection before and it's genuinely an emotional experience ... yet any piece I've sold is one that has been unworn for a reasonable amount of time ... I can't sell a Speedmaster. It would limit my choice of watch for at least one day a week. No. I will wear the 2998 every Tuesday for at least a month ... only then will I even deem to entertain the thought of "consolidating".

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  7. mikechi22 Sep 12, 2017

If you just want to experience what life is like without that Speedmaster, I would be happy to wear it and take care of it for you! Think of it like sending your baby off to boarding school! If you decide you'd rather home school later, I'll send him right back!

Atalien2005 and jimmyd13 like this.
  8. SeanO Sep 12, 2017

One speedy is pretty much the same as any other speedy.

It could be 1 year old or 40 years old. They all look the same.

It ain't magic. What you probably need is more diversity rather than more speedmasters.

Edward53 and Syrte like this.
  9. jimmyd13 Sep 12, 2017

But that one's 56 years old!

Seaborg likes this.
  10. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Sep 12, 2017

Heh, that's what my wife says.

@jimmyd13, what is it that you're actually experiencing?
    Stretch out with your feelings.

let go your conscious self and act on instinct.

Once you know what it is, you will know what actions to take.

Vitezi, bigsom, demollo and 2 others like this.
  11. mikesspeedy Sep 12, 2017

I'm just guessing, this is not the place for this statement. only saying......

12. jimmyd13 Sep 12, 2017

Edit: I lied. I have five watches from three different watchmakers coming back this week. I'm starting to think that I have a fetish ... and I'm not sure if it's for watches, watchmakers or something else.

Vitezi and M'Bob like this.
  13. ryanbk Sep 12, 2017

Like any love it can grow old or just fade away... May be time to let go?

14. bovecHD Sep 12, 2017

and have the cash to support this "Fetish?" sounds rough. I could "board" the speedy for a while if it helps, I could be there for yeah.
    Great "marvel" strap dude.

jimmyd13 likes this.
  15. M'Bob Sep 12, 2017

Mine: "Objects in mirror may appear larger than actual size."

16. No.15 Sep 12, 2017

Probably a temporary phase, and partial come down from the hunt/initial score. Put them in your watch box for a week or to and see if that rekindles the love.

jimmyd13 and GuiltyBoomerang like this.
  17. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Sep 12, 2017

Or it might be exactly the right place... just saying... ;)

efauser, noelekal and Syrte like this.
  18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 12, 2017

With @styggpyggeno1 here, for some it's the diversity of watches more than having a collection of the same type. I enjoy reading and looking at all the Speedmasters that pop up from Barns, Draws, side of a mountain or wherever but it's not my scene.
    One thing with being here for years is there is so many types of collectors in the realm of watch collecting itself. ( be it new, vintage, dress, dive, military etc.. )

valjoux72 and Spruce like this.
  19. spiralkladd Sep 13, 2017

I vote for the Sorna. Super Cool.

jimmyd13 likes this.
  20. Timmert Sep 13, 2017

Or wear it for a week and see what happens!

jimmyd13 likes this.