When is it okay to switch dials? Ref 14700

It has been over a year since many of you helped light the fire that is collecting vintage Omegas. For that, I am eternally grateful. I have slowly amassed a small collection that I have to say I'm quite proud of. I recently added two watches to my collection and I only want to retain one, so I have a small dilemma and I would appreciate your honest perspectives.

A few months back I bought the steel Seamaster ref 14700 pictured below. I almost exclusively collect watches with date indicators, but the decent condition of the watch, interesting case shape, and the relatively low price attracted me, so I bought it from a collector in Mexico.

According to this smaller collector/dealer (who has become a friend), he bought it from a wealthy family friend who had it in her safe for a few decades, so everything is in relatively good shape. I got it as pictured and added the BOR bracelet upon receipt (but will likely switch it out for something else). Recently, I came across the gold capped variety also pictured. It was the same price and although I was turned off by the mediocre condition of the case, the crosshair dial looked almost perfect. I ultimately purchased it.

Although the dial on the steel version is in good shape, it has some patina that is visible when you look at it closely at an angle (pictured). It is somewhat insignificant, but slightly bothers me and in the back of my mind I've always wanted to add a crosshair dialed watch to my collection. I figure I could switch out the dials, retain the steel watch with crosshair dial and sell the gold capped version.

Are there any issues with this practice? Does anybody have any strong thoughts against switching the dials? Does anybody know if the steel version came with a similar crosshair dial at any point?

Thank you!

Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 3.55.36 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 3.55.58 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 3.56.13 PM.png Screen Shot 2021-05-10 at 3.55.24 PM.png

holaIconWhite.svg

Like 2
they are yours. if you swap em and would wear it like that, id say go for it.
as a purist, i think you are wrecking 2 watches but you have to like to wear them. id feel weird knowing they are not correct (unless they made that case with that dial then it wouldnt matter.)
id likely go as far as to make a note on the swap and keep them together for when your kids inherit them and they dont try to sll off your Frankenstein watches ! lol
id likely go for it myself

Like 3
I guess it will only matter when/if these watches become "Ed White"s and someone will post here about a failed Archive Extract from Omega, and then everyone will urge him to return your watch - afaik, but I know pretty much nothing, the dial info is in the Archive too, so I guess it will fail

I'd personally do it, but not in your case, in your case, both watches look perfect to me, that patina is perfect, I'd do it if both watches were wrecks, one with a polished case, other with a ruined dial, I'd make the swap and sell the bad one for cheap, note the changes, at the time of sale in future, tell about the change

Like 2
No issues in my opinion. These are your watches and you are free to do what you want with them. They will never be grails, so as long as you don't sell the gold capped as all original, no harm, no foul.

Like 1
Like the comments before me, go ahead and switch.

Check if there were original variants where your changes are historically accurate and if so great!

Otherwise mark it down when passing down or selling.

Like 1
@Bill Sohne

this fits interestingly into our convo. Few weeks back.

I have swapped dials or movements before, in a few occasions, between identical references of mass produced watches
1- when I came across rotten redials or destroyed original dials, and when I had found a lone spare dial. That happens!
2- to revive empty cases, when I had found a movement and dial, usually from melted gold watches. (in this case, I'm not sure I could put back an identical dial of course)

I tend to avoid doing it, and more and more avoid being in these situations. I don't buy a watch when the dial is not up to my standards anymore, so I don't have to torture myself with these decisions. I leave this kind of monkey works to others. With time comes the experience and wisdom...;)

I don't like to destroy a watch to save another one.

Are there any issues with this practice?

To a collector I would think you are destroying the originality of two watches.
To a watch wearer you are creating a near perfect non-original steel and a face/case matching ‘nice’ watch.

Does anybodyhave any strong thoughts against switching the dials?

In your position I would do it and enjoy the ‘new’ steel, but that is just me. As ever on here, you need to decide!

If and when you sell one or both be open and honest and you have done nothing wrong morally.

Dibs on the crosshairs steel.....YES winner!!! (Obviously I will try and negotiate a cheaper price because it is not original! :whistling:)