Forums Latest Members

When is finding a "franken" part worth it? Omega 200m Pre-Bond Automatic

1. lucreative Apr 27, 2019

Hi OF! So I've been on a quest finding "vintage" Omegas and ran across an Omega Seamaster 200m Diver Pre-Bond in 40mm Full Size and Automatic Cal. 1111. It was listed on an auction site for a great price (normally midsize quartz models) with the original box, manual, and extra links.

When the package arrived, it came with a lot more items than I expected, outer box, inner box, pillow, original tag, original display card, chronometer certificate with envelope, warranty cards, warranty card envelope, original manual, extra links, and even "spare hands".

However, the biggest "caveat" to this amazing deal is that it looks like the dial has some issues. It seems like the dial has been repainted or repaired to which the "Swiss Made" has been painted over or scraped off, and the silver paint around the date window is gone.

With such a great collection of pieces to a truly "Full Set" Omega Seamaster 200m Pre-Bond Automatic, is it worth searching for a replacement dial or even see if Omega has this spare part? This watch is not truly vintage, made in 1992, but supposedly more rare than other Pre-Bond Seamasters quartz models. Thanks OF for any advice for next steps!

I added some photos of the "original" dial and some supporting photos to see if investing in this set is worth it.

20190427_132850.jpg

20190427_132933.jpg

Omega Seamaster 200 Full Censored.jpg

Edited Apr 27, 2019
  2. David Schonert Apr 28, 2019

Really nice set, good find. I was curious so I did a quick eBay search and found a new dial for a Seamaster 200M for the cal 1109 with gold accents. Not exactly what you are looking for but with some searching you may be able to find a new or good condition dial for your watch and it would be worth the effort. Here is the link to the eBay listing (sorry for the long link):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Genuin...=1137124295248d827651e9fa478b8cdce9dae44f0eb9Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

lucreative likes this.
  3. 77deluxe Apr 28, 2019

Omega may have a service dial available. That set is amazing. If the dial doesn’t bother you, then wear it and enjoy. Great watch. Congrats.

4. lucreative Apr 28, 2019

Hi. I saw that too and almost jumped on it, but size and color was different. I have the 40mm full size version, which the date window is next to the right index marker, instead of replacing the right index marker. Thank you for looking and letting me know it's worth the effort. Hopefully one will pop up!

David Schonert likes this.
  5. lucreative Apr 28, 2019

Thanks! I really hoped this watch would develop some amazing patina on the lume dots and hands like I've seen on some other beautiful examples of this watch. However, the lume dots are a cloudy grey and the hands seem to be too clean and haven't aged like the markers. Maybe the hands were replaced as well with the painting/service. This makes me more in favor of replacing the dial. How would one go about ordering a service dial? This watch isn't too old, 1992, so I think service dials may be readily available. Unfortunately, Ofrei isn't allowed/or don't have access to these caliber dials, but they have many quartz versions available..

6. ext1 Apr 29, 2019

If you put it in for omega service they will replace the dial/hands/etc at service, but they won't develop some nice patina as they are modern. Finding a service dial separately would be more tough.

If it's not a restricted part (which I doubt) you can get a watchmaker with an omega parts account to order it for you.

lucreative likes this.
  7. Sicario Wombat Apr 29, 2019

My one says hello! The full size automatics come up rarely... so you’ve got a nice one but I can see your point about the dial. The words are not 'justified' under 'Seamaster' too.

Yes, lots on the market are quartz with silly prices and snagging an automatic at a quartz price is a big thumbs up. I got my one recently at a decent price and really appreciate it. It’s a lovely one to have in the collection.

How's the time keeping on your one? I'm gaining about 10-12 seconds a day though I try to rest it on its crown to regulate it during the night. It will need a service I think pretty soon!

IMG_0884.jpeg
    Edited Apr 29, 2019
    lucreative likes this.
  8. David Schonert Apr 29, 2019

I have found eBay to be a good source of vintage parts. But sometimes you have to be creative with your searches, I have always enjoyed that part. Good luck.

lucreative likes this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 29, 2019

The card says this is a ref. 28005000, which is a 38.5 mm watch. The dial is still available from Omega, but of coruse is not tritium like the original, so would be luminova...parts number is 064PP3000001.

Cheers, Al

lucreative likes this.
  10. lucreative Apr 29, 2019

Hello to another 2800.50! My 200m Full Auto actually runs about 15 secs slow each day. Not too bad considering the age. I actually like wearing this 40mm (in actuality 38mm) size better than my SMP 2500d at 41mm. Doesn't look too bulky on the wrist and feels much more comfortable.

11. lucreative Apr 29, 2019

Hi Archer! Awesome, thanks! I know the actual size is 38.5mm, but this is still considered the "40mm" Full Size right? There was an article that showed the difference between the sizes of the 200m Quartz vs Automatics and how to tell the difference from the placement of the date window to the index markers. The lume on the service dial would be something to consider as well since I absolutely love a nice patina. This would be nonexistent with luminova. It's good to know that it's an easy option though.

12. Norfolk Apr 29, 2019

Mine says hi! I think the Mercedes hands finished around 1989 from my research. Although yours look correct. 389980BA-7C4A-4D9C-9C03-58C347760EE2.jpeg

13. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 29, 2019

Not by Omega...but collectors often assign nicknames to things that aren't official, so maybe it's the same thing here.

REF 28005000

W SE DIV 200M 38.5 ST/ST

Clearly listed as 38.5, not 40 mm.

lucreative likes this.
  14. lucreative Apr 29, 2019

Yeah, it definitely is 38.5ish when I measured the watch myself. The mid size version is supposedly 36mm.

15. lucreative Apr 29, 2019

Hi! From what I read there are some conflicting opinions to when Omega stopped using the Mercedes hands on this watch but it was definitely the earlier versions. Mine was tested in 1992 and sold in 1993. It could also be a replacement part since the lume on the hands are still quite bright, but the lume dots are not. If this is the case, then it tips the scale on getting a replacement dial/service dial.

16. Dero13 4 watches. All set to the wrong time. Apr 30, 2019

I just picked this one up. Its 2 tone brother.

Screenshot_20190428-084201_Samsung Internet.jpg

17. webvan May 17, 2019

lucreative likes this.
  18. lucreative Sep 8, 2019

So someone on "the Bay" listed a set of the Omega 200m Automatic dial, hands, and crown in the rare Full 40mm size...but in the gold color. Been looking for months now, and decided to bid a ridiculously low price...and won! The dial has scuffs, but my watch already has them too. I figured it was more Wabi Sabi that way and the patina was really nice. Plus, it was the Mercedes hands which I like as well.

What I really wanted was the dial to be original with all the wording, script, justification of lettering, "Swiss Made", and date window border that my original watch dial was missing.

What do you guys think? Which was the better way to go? If I really wanted to go all the way I can get the gold bezel later. Or I can try to wait for the white dial that fits my watch. Total cost for the gold set and watchmaker install was less than $70 bucks, so I figure I can give this a try.

20190907_223059.jpg

20190907_222952.jpg