Forums Latest Members

When is a 1990 Rolex Oyster Quartz Date

1. omega man Rolex Conspiracy Theorist Mar 5, 2016

an antique? I purchased 1990 OQ from on line dealer. Well misrepresentation would be accurate. The dial, original, a grey tapestry had water damage and needed to be replaced. So I had to choose a new dial, blue. The electronics all had to be replaced, along with hands, date wheel and numerous other parts. The case itself was not, so it still retains it's original serial number. I called RWSC Dallas. They are the only authorized quartz repair besides Rolex NYC. My Rolex boutique located in the Wynn Resort on the Strip here in LV is fully authorized to service all mechanical Rolex. Dallas has serviced couple of other OQ over the years. Question. With the original case and serial number, but having a FULL overhaul, i.e. basically a new OQ 2016. Can I call it original or what. Dallas advised me yesterday it is in final testing, to ship to LV boutique on the 11th.

2. SgWatchBaron Mar 12, 2016

I'd like to think, anything produced before 1990. Is an antique. That's 26 years! I highly suggest that you source for a period dial. I wouldn't stick with the new Blue "service" dial. As for electronics, you've to find out what should have came with the watch when it was fresh out of the Rolex Factory in 1990, and try to get the same movement (unless Rolex Service Centre gave you a new similar movement). Collectors always aim for what was did the watch originally come with when it rolled off the production line. Period! If they replaced hands, go source for proper period hands. As the original hands would have been tritium based. The new hands are made of Chroma Light and wouldn't match the age of the watch.

Here is my Rolex Ref 19018N, OysterQuartz Daydate, "Wood" dial with 84 diamonds encased in 18K yellow gold, NOS with green sticker still attached circa 1984. I'd like to think that this is an "antique".

And below, my Rolex Reference 1530, circa 1977, AUTOMATIC. Some say only 500 were produced.

♚ SingaporeanWatchBaron ♚

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Omega1 likes this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 15, 2016

The rule of thumb used by most antique dealers is that anything about 100 years or older is an antique. Items that are old, but not quite that old, are called vintage

4. dx009 Mar 15, 2016

I'm 27. Am I vintage or antique ? :eek:

5. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Mar 15, 2016

I'm 61, maybe I should be described as ancient?

6. motoikkyu Apr 22, 2016

Definitely vintage, isn't made anymore and has a quaint charm, as well as collectible value. Very nice watch!

7. omitohud Apr 22, 2016

Vintage Quartz? Kind of oxymoronic. Lol. I wouldn't call it vintage yet but in maybe 10 yrs, who knows. If ur watch was replaced with all original parts by AD, then I would consider it still original. Mine says hi.
    [​IMG]

I blame it on the autoconnect.

Edited Apr 22, 2016
    Omega1 likes this.
  8. flw history nerd May 1, 2016

Well, maybe medieval ... I am too!

9. omega man Rolex Conspiracy Theorist May 24, 2016

Watch was serviced by RWSC, Dallas, so I'm guessing, not really, that only genuine Rolex parts installed to replace those deemed unserviceable by Rolex. Are you aware that the Rolex quartz movement is the most highly regarded movement ever to have been made at the Swiss factory? Mechanical or quartz. How about the word of Rolex. Believe it? As to old, antique, or whatever. Various watch BBs have cut off times to denote modern or vintage. I have a coin silver pocket watch made five years before Custer took his last ride, June 1876. That's an antique.