Forums Latest Members
  1. Meelypops Apr 28, 2018

I was wondering what people consider the line in terms of calling something original/ something becoming a frankenwatch?

2. 77deluxe Apr 28, 2018

I think of Franken as switching old parts made for a different watch (or fake parts) onto a similar model in an attempt to make it appear original, work as intended, or to customize it. For example, putting a cal. 321 movement from a Tissot or seamaster chrono into a Speedy is franken. I don’t consider a watch with service parts to be a Franken or unoriginal, it’s original with factory service parts. The point at which either becomes problematic or where a line is drawn, depends on the buyer, and especially on the honesty of a seller.

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 28, 2018

Generally it’s reserved for watches made from parts of mixed references.

Example 2 145.022-76 watches with correct serial numbers may swap parts between them to make 1 exceptional watch and one average watch and not be considered a franken. While some people might object to this or just the movement being swapped I see no harm or foul in doing this.

Vintagewtchzilla and 77deluxe like this.
  4. jimmyd13 Apr 28, 2018

Essentially it's where the watch consists of parts that are not correct together. Seeing as we're on Omega Forums let's use a 2998-3 with an 861 movement as an example.

Generally, it's accepted that a watch is correct so long as its components are correct, even if they didn't all start life together. Using the Speedmaster as an example again, that it has a DON bezel and a flat foot crown even though they were sourced last week to replace the 1990 service parts, simply "keeps it correct" rather than creating a frankenwatch.

However, I don't think that Speedmaster is a "franken" if it retains a later service crown and bezel. It affects the value, but not the authenticity. I'm sure most would agree.

GuiltyBoomerang and Larry S like this.
  5. gostang9 Apr 28, 2018

I think of Franken as a watch where both:
    a) parts don’t belong together
    b) is trying to appear to be something it isn’t

There’s usually an element of deception (or intentional hiding of truth).
    - if a particular watch had some part replaced with non-original version, it’s not necessarily a Franken but simply no longer fully authentic
    - whereas, if a watch has been put together with various items from different references trying on the surface to look like a particularly rare or expensive reference, that’s a Franken

6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Apr 28, 2018

Perfect example of a franken. A UG mono pusher movement and dial from the Teens/20’s in a 30’s case with absolutely no way to work the Chronograph.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  7. Meelypops Apr 28, 2018

So, does anyone feel that transplanting a movement into say, a new case (That's correct for the ref) is franken?

8. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 28, 2018

Depends... because theoretically you could get a brand new midcase for 145.022-69 from current production... if you kept everything from the 69 including the case back people might get a little leary of the watch. The mid case is kinda the watch...

I’d say it’s only valid from the same production time period.

9. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 28, 2018

Not a franken, but not original, either, assuming that the caliber is correct for the case and dial.

Meelypops likes this.
  10. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Apr 28, 2018

So do you call this a pseudo-original? or pseudo-franken?

11. ulackfocus Apr 28, 2018

It's authentic and correct, but not original.

Tik-Tok of Oz, airansun and Foo2rama like this.
  12. ulackfocus Apr 28, 2018

Normal wear parts (gaskets) can be changed every service if necessary. Semi-normal wear parts (crystal, crown) are okay too, but collectors prefer original. Some other potential wear parts (set bridge) are where the line starts to blur.

13. Screwbacks Apr 28, 2018

there are so called common parts particularly for the movements like gears, screws, coilspring, etc. which can be sourced still in good condition from other brands. and it is hard to tell or identify.

Edited Apr 28, 2018
  14. roadsternet Apr 28, 2018

Picture of a franken,and i love it ;)
    I called it "second in space"
    A 1997 Omega replika model with new hands and bezel.

011.JPG
  15. M'Bob Apr 29, 2018

What happens if Al Franken gets a hip replacement?

Dr No, merchandiser, Uniqez and 2 others like this.
  16. 77deluxe Apr 29, 2018

Depends. Genuine replacement part?

17. GuiltyBoomerang Apr 29, 2018

I'd say that the most obvious cases of frankenwatches are the "marriage watches." Usually this combines a pocketwatch movement with a new custom case so that it can be worn on the wrist. Many come from the Ukraine, which seems reasonable given the two World Wars and likelihood of battlefield looting/bartering for lives...

18. ulackfocus Apr 29, 2018

Frankenstein--134436.jpg

Dr No, Tony C. and M'Bob like this.
  19. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Apr 29, 2018

I think it's less about maintaining a watch, replacing parts of the movement that wear out, and more about trying to make something into something it isn't.

marco and Screwbacks like this.
  20. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Apr 29, 2018

I think it is perhaps even simpler than that, as it doesn’t always mean malice aforethought.
    If the case, dial or movement don’t belong to each other as they should - it’s a Franken-watch.