Forums Latest Members

When did you know you needed to thin the herd?

1. PaulC77 Jul 3, 2017

I'm sure this isn't a new theme on the forum, but I didn't find a recent thread on it.
    I'm starting to notice the patterns in my behaviour, staying loyal to certain watches, passing some by when it's definitely their turn to get out of the box. Like puppies left at the dogs home, they sulk, look sad and pine away amongst themselves. The Buzz and Woodies of the group get picked time and time again, out into the sunshine collecting new adventures. It's a sad moment when you realise some of the pack don't float your boat like they used to.
    When did other members get that feeling and what was the first puppy you drove off to the picnic site by the woods?

2. tyrantlizardrex Jul 3, 2017

For me, it was when the need for liquid cash in the bank became more pressing than the want for a safe filled with shiny toys.

I started going through, looking at the ones that would be hardest to replace for the prices I'd paid for them... and then realised that those are the ones that I wore least.

The I started to sell, the modern stuff first, then the vintage, I used the cash to pay for some building work on the house, the last few I've sold are going to fund an incoming Speedy Tuesday.

Once you start looking at what you have, and thinking about your collection objectively, it becomes really easy to start selling. ;)

ahartfie, davten, lando and 4 others like this.
  3. semper_shells Jul 3, 2017

So how does one build a collection like this? lol

4. abrod520 Jul 3, 2017

Outstanding debts > the ability to pay off before interest charges start taking a bite out of the budget for the next one

5. tyrantlizardrex Jul 3, 2017

Anything more than 2 is a collection ;)

Jwit and semper_shells like this.
  6. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jul 3, 2017

I am just about to thin the heard. I want to be ready so I can jump on a 1980s era gold/gold tone speedy.

Jwit and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  7. M'Bob Jul 3, 2017

When the constellation of things in your life that need attention/repair reach that tipping point where one additional item will cause a mental breakdown, I put the breaks on new purchases or thin the group.

PaulC77 and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  8. sjg22 Jul 3, 2017

I have two in particular that I need that extra little push to walk away from because I almost have to force myself to wear them occasionally.

Neither are worth much but they have sentimental value.

I have a Bvlgari Diagono Scuba chrono that was my first mechanical watch. I saw one in a movie and I'd always wanted one. Saved up when I'd graduated and had a job and got it off the 'Bay for $1,500. Probably worth about that now and it doesn't fit with my collecting ethos anymore. I still like the dial, but it's thick, the rubber bracelet is uncomfortable and... it's a Bvlgari...

I also have a quartz Seamaster 300 'Bond' that I purchased when I had to go into a remote environment for work for a few months and didn't want something I'd ever need to worry about. It runs like a champ, I keep it on a NATO and it's essentially my swimming/sports watch. I've never really bonded with it though... eyeing an eta black bay as its replacement but is it really a necessary move?

So hard to get rid of them once they're established members of your watch box....

Golfjunky likes this.
  9. tyrantlizardrex Jul 3, 2017

You say that, but once the cash hits your bank account... ;)

10. semper_shells Jul 3, 2017

"Never really bonded with it" Pun intended? lol :D

José9 and ReturnOfUltraman like this.
  11. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 3, 2017

When I begin to have trouble locating watches that I know I own. ::facepalm2::

12. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jul 3, 2017

LOL, this one hit home for me. I periodically do a group shot of the Speedmasters and I sometimes forget if I have them all. Usually I forget one. I spent 10 minutes trying to figure out which one was missing when I did my last group shot. It was the Straight Writing this time. Last time the CK2998. Reality is it sucks getting old.

upload_2017-7-3_11-47-38.png

ahartfie, tapaptpat, Paedipod and 4 others like this.
  13. cristos71 Jul 3, 2017

Here's a picture from 2009, of those pictured only 3 of them remain in my collection, the Plo Prof, Flightmaster and Anakin, the rest having gone on to pastures new. Every year or two I'll try to regroup and refocus and move some on as it can get very quickly out of hand!

IMG_2272.JPG

ahartfie, tapaptpat, lando and 10 others like this.
  14. Kmart Jul 3, 2017

That is so awesome. Having a herd to thin out, so to speak, gives you the freedom to play around with your collection however you want to. Even if you have many thousands of $$$ invested, you always have the option to sell if you need to -- whether it's for financial concerns or just to fund that grail piece that happens to come along.

PaulC77 likes this.
  15. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 3, 2017

When you can't fit the entire herd in a single decent photo using a wide angle lense.

ahartfie, watchknut, STANDY and 12 others like this.
  16. PaulC77 Jul 3, 2017

Sage advice I think, I look at some of my specimens and know they would be impossible to replace anywhere near where I bought them and I get that off the ladder feeling, that once you're off you'll never get back there

Paedipod, bazamu and gemini4 like this.
  17. PaulC77 Jul 3, 2017

But do you keep the same sort of numbers or have you put the watch sales into a fewer better watches?

18. Golfjunky Jul 3, 2017

Pls let me know if u offload the seamaster

19. Golfjunky Jul 3, 2017

I got to a dizzy high 7-8 watches in 2015 and never saw myself as a flipper then saw the 3576.50 and all of a sudden it made selling 4-5 watches was very easy. I have the odd day where I miss one or two but on the whole no regrets.

20. Oku Jul 3, 2017

please define "decent"...
    Is this still ok?
    [​IMG]