Forums Latest Members
  1. Poppydog Sep 29, 2018

I had my SMP serviced about a year ago, and everything seemed fine until about a month ago and it developed some condensation under the crystal. It had been in water, but I'm very careful about checking before it's submerged. Anyway, I unscrewed and pulled out the crown, popped it into a jar of rice and the next day took it in to the AD. It was sent off under warranty and I've just got it back. I noticed before I returned it to the AD that when the crown was unscrewed, there was virtually no "spring out" when pushing the crown towards the case to meet the thread - not sure how else to describe it but when the crown is unscrewed, it normally kind of "pops" out slightly when the threads part, and then needs pushing in, compressing the spring, to make the threads meet to screw back in. Omega did another complete service under the previous service warranty, and the crown issue is the same as before. I plan on taking it back to the AD with my other SMP (I have the blue and the black) to show the difference. Anyone else come across anything like this?

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 29, 2018

So your saying it no longer pops out like it should?

3. Poppydog Sep 29, 2018

Well, I unscrew it, and rather than an obvious "pop", as it were, as the threads disengage and the spring pushes out the crown, there is a barely discernible "pop". The threads are apart as I can hand wind, but it's not like my other SMP - or other watches, actually, as my Breitlings and Rolexes are all the same in terms of how the crown "pops" out slightly.

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 29, 2018

None of my watches with a screw down “pop.” There is an obvious spring, and a little snap you can feel when the threads disengage.

5. Poppydog Sep 29, 2018

Yes, that's what I'm trying to describe, "snap" or "pop", either way, as the threads disengage, the crown is push out a little by the spring.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 29, 2018

When a new crown is installed, it naturally grips tighter on the outside diameter of the case tube, so this additional friction may not allow the crown to "pop" out when you unscrew it. Based on what you have stated, it sounds pretty normal to me.

Doc Savage likes this.
  7. Poppydog Sep 29, 2018

Thank you, I did wonder whether Omega changed something in the design too.

8. g-boac Sep 29, 2018

Based on what you described, it sounds consistent with how I would feel (and describe) every Omega with a screw-down crown that I owned (three Planet Oceans).