Forums Latest Members

When buying from OF member what questions do you ask?

1. Mr Blond Oct 15, 2018

If you want to buy a watch from a forum member what do you ask for?

References? Some sort of ID with name and address on?

Anything else or am I being too cautious?

2. albertob Oct 15, 2018

The best approach would be to meet at a police station f2f.

Having said that, there are always some risks connected with sales and, unfortunately, it can happen you're not dealing with a gentleman (although OF has very few of them).

When I sold/bought watches on the forum I always established rules with the counterpart.
    Each Ad has references and we have a section for feedbacks to increase transparency.
    Usually who sells the watch gives his bank address. The payer pays. The seller ships the watch and then there is a follow-up.

No IDs involved (as far as I am concerned and I would not be afraid as I have nothing to hide).

Check some sales Ad and some feedback sellers to get you up to speed.

Alberto

3. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Oct 15, 2018

For cross-border sales its not always possible to meet F2F (unless one of the parties is travelling, or prepared to travel). IMO its best to get a feel for the type of person they are by stalking them here and getting a general feel for what they are like. Also, look at their sales feedback. In my experience, established active members with a decent post count and like ratio are usually a pleasure to deal with, and thus far (touch wood) I personally have only had great experiences.

Edit : regarding what to ask : whatever is on your mind. Whatever problems you think there could be etc.

Edited Oct 15, 2018
  4. kov Trüffelschwein. Oct 15, 2018

Another good alternative is to ask another local OF member you trust to meet the seller f2f and then forward you the watch - happens often from what I can read between the lines :)

5. OHS Oct 15, 2018

I've bought a few watches on here recently and rather than asking lots of questions it's been more about background research...looking at post count, length of membership, general posts and of course seller feedback.

I haven't been spending mega amounts of money and it would be very different if I had 10k to spend on a watch but I don't think many members would build up years of reputation on a forum just to rip me off....just wouldn't be worth it.

So I suppose history/feedback is everything - so far all the sellers I've dealt with have been great & straight up, honest guys.

If you use transferwise you do atleast get a proper email address, full name etc too which is always nice to know!

albertob likes this.
  6. SpeedyPhill Founder Of Aussie Cricket Blog Mark Waugh Universe Oct 17, 2019

Not always possible, but best to meet in person... we have seen import & shipping costs that could justify travel costs to actually meet in person :thumbsup:

7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 17, 2019

Research the seller and ask around. Build trust via communication.

I have helped many a 10-20 poster vet a member that probably doesn’t need vetting.

I have bought a lot of watches over the years here and never had a problem as I have always bought from reputable members that have been here for a long time. Also several watches from the same members over time.

8. Capt Cave Man Nov 25, 2019

How about the other way round?

As a new member on OF (thank-you for accepting me btw) how do I go about attempting to make a purchase?

Apologies if I've hijacked the OPs thread :unsure:

9. ConElPueblo Nov 25, 2019

Just send the seller a PM - click on his profile image and "send message" :)

Capt Cave Man likes this.
  10. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Nov 25, 2019

Whether from a forum member or anyone else, you must do full due diligence:
    1/make sure to ask for all pictures— and you must see the lugs without a strap on it.
    2/Ask for a tagged picture of the watch.
    3/ ask for references; be prepared to provide the same but if you’re wiring money it’s not the same;
    4/ if you feel you need to post pictures for other members to take a second look you should feel free to do so.
    Then you’ll see how you feel about it.

Of course if the member in question has a high post count and you feel you know them that can change the equation— but I’ve seen a well established member on another forum take advantage of a newbie. Moderators had to step in but it was a telling lesson.

Edited Nov 25, 2019
  11. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Nov 25, 2019

I do worry a bit more about high jacked accounts. In the past, if I was buying or selling from a contributing member, I never worried much. Heck, I have even sent a watch to a member before getting payment.

But given the scammers and high jackers, I prefer a couple of phone calls. And then also sending private messages to others here asking if they dealt with them.