Forums Latest Members

When A Watch "Isn't Working Out"

1. aesguerra Aug 15, 2018

Just curious what you all do (or have done) when a timepiece you acquired just isn't singing to you.

For me, it's my new SMPc. Same old sad story - once on my wrist, it just wasn't what I thought it would be. Perhaps it's the more 'showy' nature of its look, or maybe it's the skeleton hands. For all I know, it's the blue dial (I know - ::screwloose::). All I do know is that while it's a joy to take out my FOIS for wrist time, doing the same with my SMPc feels forced. And it's coming up on a month since I got it, and it's been given the lion share of my wearing schedule.

Anyhoo, if anyone has been in this dilemma, I'd appreciate your experiences and/or insights. Thanks in advance.

Alex

2. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 15, 2018

I have this issue with a CK2998 (the blue one). I like chronos, pandas and blue dials. But the CK2998 just feels too formal for me. I rarely dress up, and I would rather wear a TinTin or vintage Speedmaster. So the CK2998 just sits, still with stickers, etc. Every now and then I pull out the box and try to motivate myself to wear it, but it has never made it beyond a few seconds on the wrist before I once again conclude I would rather wear something else. I would sell it but do not want/ need to take the $1k hit. If I need money I will eventually move it on to someone who will appreciate it.

Another is my Planet Ocean. It is the first Omega I purchased, and I was already wearing a Sinn UX, which is fairly large/ bulky. But as much as I like the looks of the PO, the top-heaviness makes it feel clunky on my wrist. I probably only wear it once a month. As with the CK2998, I am in no hurry to sell, but if I need to free up money quickly it would be one of the first watches I would try to move.

aesguerra likes this.
  3. Davidt Aug 15, 2018

Sell it! This is no hobby for bloody passengers! Oh Hold on- that’s exactly what it is.

Stick it back in your box for a couple of weeks and try again. After a couple of goes it’s time to part ways if it’s still not singing to you.

4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 15, 2018

Each new acquisition gets a fair chance, but if it isn’t getting worn, it gets sold.

Old acquisitions can attain the same treatment, losing appeal over time.

aesguerra, bristnj and Gaz6263 like this.
  5. Mtek Aug 15, 2018

I have my favorites, and those I don’t like nearly as much. I still prefer to have the variety though and I give all of them wrist time, admittedly some more than others. I have sold a couple of watches that I knew I didn’t like at all, it helped fund others.

aesguerra likes this.
  6. sjg22 Aug 15, 2018

Sell it. There are many, many fish in the sea. If you can get near what you paid, then it was essentially a free test drive.

Things you collect should bring you joy.

kkt, Kmart, mayankyadav and 2 others like this.
  7. WatchWalker Aug 15, 2018

Any watch that doesn't really do it, I will move, sooner rather than later. I never wear same watch for more than few days in a row so sometimes it's hard to make a final call. One that I moved was a Daytona 116520. I couldn't chose between black or white dial when I purchased it back in 2015, the AD had both available, the AD had both available (twice in case you think I typed an error) and apparently I made the wrong choice with the black dial. Although very comfortable and good looking watch, it was very hard to read out that black dial and that remains an important parameter to me. So I traded it in about one year later. Just before the real Daytona frenzy took off...

aesguerra likes this.
  8. aesguerra Aug 15, 2018

Thanks all. :cool:

I think that puts it perfectly!!! :thumbsup: