Forums Latest Members

Whats your next on the chopping block?

1. Just Livin Aug 3, 2019

I found myself reflecting on the possibility of if the worst happened.
    Lost job.
    Got divorced.
    Unexpected tax bill.
    The grail becomes available.

All relative of course depending on circumstance.
    Do you always have one thought on the one lined up to go (watches that is...no pets or loved ones)?

aap likes this.
  2. WYO_Watch Aug 3, 2019

If it hits the fan - it’d likely be my more expensive stuff that needs to go (most money / likely quicker sale). So the Ed White followed by his best friends. Here’s to it not hitting the fan!

3. whyboddau Aug 4, 2019

Unfortunately yes, there is always the order of succession. Especially if I want to keep an 1 in, 1 out policy. Haven’t stuck to that too well though.

4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 4, 2019

A purge list is forming in my head that will be acted on as soon as sailing season is over. Too many not seeing wrist time anymore since I’ve “retired”. Time for someone else to enjoy them. Wrist time is the big factor for me. If it ain’t getting worn, its time to let someone else enjoy.

5. JwRosenthal Aug 4, 2019

I had all the above happen back in ‘12- including the grail...1962 GMT offered to me for $800. I was too responsible and wanted to keep my house, so I passed. In hindsight, I had lots of things other than watches I could have sold. I could have sold one of my 3 no longer used Hasselblad’s and had it....oh well...still have the house

Just Livin likes this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 4, 2019

I see that as a common reason to sell watches. That reasoning has never clicked with me - if I still like the watch, I'm good with keeping it even if it wasn't getting worn much. There would have to be another factor at play for me to get rid of a seldom worn watch.

Just Livin, gostang9 and MTROIS like this.
  7. harrymai86 Aug 4, 2019

Oh that just hurt

JwRosenthal likes this.
  8. JwRosenthal Aug 4, 2019

I agree. I have found that my tastes change year to year and a watch that was parked for a while may become a favorite again. I have owned a Breitling Navitimer for around 15 years. I loved it at first but eventually found it too “blingy” and it went to live in the drawer. I would take it out for a day and feel it was too big, too flashy, too much. I put it on a Shell Cordovan strap and liked it again for a bit, then back in the drawer it went. Recently I bought a Carmel Blue-shark Nato for it and i love it again..we’ll see for how long.
    72CFF7F3-3358-4E62-80D8-8E696F606B78.jpeg

Just Livin likes this.
  9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 4, 2019

Yea ... every watch I have was the result of a fair degree of intentionality on my part. So i like them all. We shall see how far I really get....::facepalm1::.

TexOmega likes this.
  10. ext1 Aug 4, 2019

So do people above 200 only get to post on this thread? :D;)

I start to get a feeling of what watch is moving onto the imaginary chopping block as I start wearing it as part of the rotation, and then when a grail or a really compelling one pops up, I thin the herd.

I've found that the more I have repeated this process, I have less watches I want to sell and move into the mental chop block. (Famous last words?)

WYO_Watch and Just Livin like this.
  11. Just Livin Aug 6, 2019

Ha no. Wasn't meant to be an intentionally way of circumventing the rules. Anyone can play. I see no harm in people sharing what they 'think' maybe on the chopping board.
    I would post a pic if I knew myself.

ext1 likes this.
  12. ext1 Aug 6, 2019

For sure! I was just kidding around. If anything, it looks like I misread what the thread was about, now I understand it as more of 'if everything went to hell then what would you sell'. So.. my apologies!

Just Livin likes this.
  13. Just Livin Aug 6, 2019

Hoping the day never arises for anyone.
    But...

14. ext1 Aug 6, 2019

I know :( I hope it doesn't happen as well...

I think if it happened to me I would just try to underprice my current collection and sell everything quick.

15. JwRosenthal Aug 6, 2019

The key is to diversify you collections and be deep in doubles or surplus. When it went to shit for me, I had a massive record collection (over 6k LP’s at the time). I spend a good week purging the collection down of doubles, rare reissues which I collected as part of a set but not for any real love of the album, rare imports from groups I didn’t care for but again, part of a set, etc.
    I made $3k/mo selling LP’s on eBay...didn’t even dent the prime collection of albums I cared about, nor did I have to sell the cars, the house, the guns, the watches, the cameras.....diversify!

watchknut, Just Livin and ext1 like this.
  16. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Aug 6, 2019

i have diversified myself into confusion

gt my eye on that green original sixties so i can really tie myself in a knot

i'm sure i'm missing some.

black dial
    brown dial
    dark blue dial
    orange dial
    lume dial
    tropical dial
    salmon/beige dial
    pearl dial
    black chrono
    dark blue sailing chrono

auto