Forums Latest Members

Whats your favorite watch maker besides Omega?

1. mdgrwl Aug 2, 2016

If you had to pick one watch maker besides Omega to wear, what house would it be?

Although Im a fan of JLC, Rolex, Lange, PP... Id probably have to pick IWC as my 2nd favorite simply due to their vast line-up along with stunning watches...

If you could only wear watches from 1 maker (besides Omega), what house would it be?

Edited Aug 2, 2016
  2. rcs914 Aug 2, 2016

Are we talking sky's the limit, or are we talking what we might be able to afford? A Lange Datograph would be mighty nice, but I'd probably rather have an M5. Within what I consider to be reason, I would pick JLC and Glashutte Original. I don't own either, but admire their watches very much. But currently everything I own is significantly less expensive than my Omega Speedy Pro.

bigtang1 likes this.
  3. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Aug 2, 2016

Watches for every occasion and at pretty much all price points......

Seiko

karlwb, efauser, Jhh834 and 5 others like this.
  4. mdgrwl Aug 2, 2016

Besides Omega if you could only wear watches from 1 maker, what maker would it be?

5. mdgrwl Aug 2, 2016

Nice choice.

Jhh834 likes this.
  6. rcs914 Aug 2, 2016

Well then, Lange I guess. I'll be sure to put it on when I ride my Unicorn to Mars.

Jwit and cicindela like this.
  7. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Aug 2, 2016

Yes, next in line for wearing/ogling after my Speedy is my IWC Portuguese. The IWC range is extensive and is elegant and purposeful throughout.

Foo2rama likes this.
  8. rcs914 Aug 2, 2016

This is a great choice, for the reasons you point out. Everything is represented.

karlwb likes this.
  9. mdgrwl Aug 2, 2016

As much as I like Rolex... I just couldn't pick them as a 2nd favorite as they only have a handful of watches I would actually wear. IWC on the other hand....

10. tapaptpat Aug 2, 2016

I'll sub Omega for Lemania and my other selection is JLC.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

11. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Aug 2, 2016

if no omega, then rolex. i could drown in awesome vintage datejusts. :thumbsup:

watchthirst and ulackfocus like this.
  12. WatchVaultNYC Aug 2, 2016

Lots of ways to answer, this. But I'll go with "Favorite Watch Brand to Collect". This of course is just my personal opinion

I really like collecting Tudor. This is because the volumes are low, and the hobby is not stuffed to the gills with enthusiasts, so you can still get good finds (and thus be able to tell good stories to your friends) at good prices, especially when compared to Rolex. The watches are surprisingly modern to today's eye, with bright colors and designs. The fact that values are rising quickly also helps. Its a hobby where the skill to hunt is as important as the cash you have on hand to make the purchase.

I like collecting Omega. A lot of it is because of the modern size (makes them wearable everyday), large variety of case shapes, good history, easy to maintain movements (co-axials not included). Very low entry point into the hobby - Sub-$500 for 70's Seamasters. You can get in to Omega and spend your entire collecting hobby in that single brand. Very good online and printed resources for the hobbyist. And a large part of it is because I can piggyback my collecting to the business of selling. Like to see what one looks like - buy it, try it and sell if you don't want it.

I dislike collecting Rolex (although I do have 2 favorite Rolex pieces), because values very tremendously on what amounts to trifles - minor marking differences on the dial, really? Its also so well researched and the number of watches available are so many, collectors can be stratified by income by looking at their collection - your collection is limited only by the amount you are willing to pay.

rhj, pascs and OMGRLX like this.
  13. arkstfan Aug 2, 2016

Agree completely. I'm sure a King, a Grand or two or three, Alpinist and some sort of diver will end up in my collection eventually

14. ulackfocus Aug 2, 2016

If you pinned me down and twisted my arm behind my back, I could live with IWC, AP, or JLC. Probably in the end I'd choose JLC.

We've discussed the infinite variations of the DJ before. You could have hundreds of them, all slightly different, and still not cover the whole gamut.

Larry S and OMGRLX like this.
  15. OMGRLX a RolexBear in disguise Aug 2, 2016

and, from the 50s to the 70s; theyre pretty much all amazing. :)

16. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Aug 2, 2016

Hamilton... not the ETA filled poo that currently sits in the dealers showcase, the American made stuff that was as good as anything made anywhere else.

or better.

P1000486.JPG P1020038.JPG P1000108.JPG 940.jpg 940 2.jpg

rhj, Matty01, USMCRet and 8 others like this.
  17. mdgrwl Aug 2, 2016

Nice responses guys, keep em' coming :)

18. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Aug 2, 2016

Hamilton's wristwatch movements are pretty nice too:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

However, I would have to go with JLC/LeCoultre as my favorite movements.

[​IMG]

image.jpeg

[​IMG]

If you have ever wound a 1950's era cal. 480, you'd know why. It feels like a very high quality machine.
    gatorcpa

aap, Pun, Severin and 4 others like this.
  19. mdgrwl Aug 2, 2016

Are those JLC movements?

20. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Aug 2, 2016

I'd say Rolex... a bit off the beaten path...

34mm Air King
    34mm OP date
    36mm DJ (4digits) 1600 smooth bezel,etc

Lots of really cool classic designs who stood the test of time - and unlike much of omega's 1950-60ies offering - still do not look grandfatherly.