Forums Latest Members

What's up with this watch? [Asprey]

1. jzerore May 6, 2018

Hello!

My buddy got this manual-wind watch from his uncle when he passed away, and ordinarily I wouldn't think this was much more than a fancy jewelry store cladding an off-the-shelf movement in a gold case. The uncle, however, had pretty good taste in watches, and owned some pretty cool pieces—a wonderful Connie among them. And though I'm not a fan of the numerals on this watch, the hands are pretty neat, the dial is nicely turned, and the image on the back is straight-up awesome.

I know Asprey had a habit signing and white-labeling stuff, but that's the extent of my knowledge (about anything, really). I did a cursory forum search and checked out the usual for-sale sites, and found nothing like this watch at all. I was wondering if anybody here had an idea of when this watch is from and/or whose movement might be inside it.

It's not for sale or anything, just curious.

Thanks—and apologies for the crap photos. It was Cinco de Mayo, and I was more than a few margaritas deep.
    J

Asprey 3.png

Asprey 2.png
    asprey1.png

omegasaso12 and murph like this.
  2. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction May 6, 2018

I spent a few minutes Google image searching, and couldn't find a match. The closest was this https://www.europeanwatch.com/15048.html However, it's got a date, centre seconds and is steel. Unless someone else comes by with better info, perhaps the best idea would be to take some more/better pictures and fire off an email to Aspreys to ask them directly. Their website has a form for contact that does not seem to accept attachments, so this might be an option [email protected]

Hope you find the information you are looking for.

3. murph May 6, 2018

Beautiful watch

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 6, 2018

Unitas 6498? I feel I’ve seen that dial before on eBay.

5. Fialetti May 6, 2018

There should be UK hallmarks on the case (probably on the inside). Usually that will included a stamped letter that gives the year of manufacture.

6. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it May 7, 2018

I think that's rather lovely(has the look of a Sewills), are those gold spring bars too? That NATO does this watch no justice at all, and seeing the stainless hardware rubbing up against the 18ct gold case... :eek:

jzerore and wristpirate like this.
  7. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder May 7, 2018

I think is is slightly disingenuous to dismiss Asprey as a re labler.

While they did take other peoples products and re work them for their clients, a simple thing like remaking a Nokia in solid 18kt gold required an awful lot of work - you cant just dismantle the phone and cast from the plastic as the gold shrinks leaving all the holes in the wrong place. So they had to completely make the model (8% from memory) bigger then cast from that.

Some products were more re worked than others. This watch looks like it was more special than others.

8. rcs914 May 7, 2018

Too me, more like the NATO rubbing on that engraving...