Forums Latest Members
  1. blubarb Dec 15, 2018

Hi all.

I need some input from the OFKB*. My recent purchase (two weeks ago) has been the addition of a blue dial 210.30. Seamaster 300m. Recently I decided I would check the accuracy by running it against the atomic clock app. When I fully extended the crown into the hacking position to set the watch I noticed that when moving the minute hand it also slightly moved the seconds hand. see vid.

https://

At around the same time I also noticed:

a) the movement running +10 secs per day

b) the rotor being quite loud (I am thinking this is just the ceramic ball bearings of the rotor)

But here is the weird thing: The seconds had "shift" has miraculously resolved itself after a few days of repeating the action. On testing it against the Atomic clock app over the last 24 hours the watch is now running at + 3 secs per day. :thumbsdown:

I contacted the Omega Boutique when it was displaying this behaviour and they asked me to send it in for an assessment - but now that it seems okay, I am not so sure about sending it off.

Any thoughts on what might be behind this aberrant, short behaviour? Have you ever come across such a thing before? What say you? ::popcorn::

* Omega Forums Knowledge base

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 15, 2018

Tightness of the cannon pinion. Over time you have loosened it up and now it's not making the watch run backwards...

3. blubarb Dec 15, 2018

Yeah, thanks, Al.
    Does a tight cannon pinion affect the watch running fast though?
    Should it be sent back for a check or don’t worry?

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 15, 2018

If the cannon pinion is tight, and you are moving the hands forward in time, then it can make the watch run faster during the time you are adjusting the hands.

If it's stopped doing that, then it's not a big concern, but since they have already told you to send it back for a check, it's up to you...

5. JeremyS Dec 17, 2018

Sounds like it’s sorted itself out, and you have a five year warranty, so you have plenty of time to see how it performs. I picked-up mine this weekend—brand new in the plastic coffin—and it does the same thing. It also runs about 4.6s/d fast. But, since the METAS cert shows it was tested at an average of 4.5s/d over six positions, the rate it about right. Is your rate close to the tested rate when you look at the METAS results?

Jeremy

6. blubarb Dec 18, 2018

Hi Jeremy,

Mine is running + 4secs. Tested with timegrapher and also against the Atomic Clock App for 48 hours. Both show +4.

Definitely resolved itself. Either the canon pinion was loosened or their was an oiling issue.

IMG_3902.JPG Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 7.15.48 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2018-12-18 at 7.23.48 PM.jpg

As you say, five years to think on it.

JeremyS and ama98 like this.
  7. cjoedaniel Dec 21, 2018

I am surprised that a Metas certified watch is running 4s/d. Is this common among the newer calibers?

8. JeremyS Dec 21, 2018

I'm not sure; my Planet Ocean ran about the same when it was new a year ago, but it has since slowed a little. I have a 300 Master Co-Axial that's around 3.5-3.7. I'm the first an only owner of both.

9. blubarb Dec 22, 2018

Edited Dec 22, 2018
  10. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 22, 2018

Why as that’s within METAS. ?

Your not getting Os/d with a automatic watch of any brand not even Rolex or Phillipe Patek . ( you may get close but if you want accuracy buy a quartz )

A METAS certification requires that a watch must keep time within 0 and 5 seconds a day. The COSC tolerances for time keeping must be within -4/+6 deviation in any position at several different temperatures.

Where METAS improves on the watch testing standard is that it requires a watch to be resistant to magnetic fields of 15,000 Gauss. METAS also includes an unwound power reserve test and a pressure test for water resistance. Most chronometer brands do their own in house testing for these things but such test are not required to achieve a COSC chronometer certificate.

A METAS certification is for the watch as a whole where as COSC only tests uncased movements for accuracy and temperature tolerances. The METAS certification also carries with it an online report where the customer can view the results for their own watch

Taken from here
    https://dailywristcheck.com/metas-vs-cosc

Sun Dial and blubarb like this.
  11. cjoedaniel Dec 23, 2018

Thanks for the info. I just thought the tolerances were a lot tighter. I can handle 3s/d but for some reason 5s seems a lot to me at those price points.

12. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 23, 2018

It’s not any price point you can spend $200000 and it is not getting better.

Mechanical watches will never be as accurate as $100 quartz. We don’t buy these watches for ultimate accuracy
    1AB12F41-3AD4-49DE-8AB2-3BE2C6BC7E8D.jpeg
    You want accuracy buy a casio.

What would you rather see when you open your watch
    C531729E-2B08-4B77-81FE-E7E935D899F6.jpeg

A less than a second a day above or a few second a day below

1374CAD1-1C89-452E-B21B-619B23399F86.jpeg

13. cjoedaniel Dec 23, 2018

I have a few autos around 1-2k that are 1-3s/day. I don't need to buy a quartz. Thanks again for the info and happy holidays.

14. ScubaPro Actually dives with dive watches!!! Dec 23, 2018

STANDY likes this.
  15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 23, 2018

Keep in mind your thinking +3/-3 not 0-5.

Omega right fully choose biasing it to fast as a simple short pull out to hack is easier to correct the minor deviation.

Also keep in mind overnight resting position also affects the timekeeping of a watch.

16. makaria indica Dec 23, 2018

Do you take your watch off each night?
    Mine might get 15 minutes in the "arms under pillow position", before the noctural " search for a cooler spot" in bed race begins

blubarb and Foo2rama like this.
  17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Dec 23, 2018

Would like to know the watches that achieve the above result as that’s pretty good.

( Not a shot at you @cjoedaniel as we get a lot of new members expecting 0 tolerance on their freshly purchased Omega, Rolex ) (( even more that think you can’t swim with a 50m waterproof watch ))

blubarb likes this.
  18. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Dec 24, 2018

Sweet looking Omega movement ;)

19. cjoedaniel Dec 24, 2018

No worries. The best I have right now is my Mido Multifort Chronograph which is a Valjoux 7750 based movement. It runs +1s/d. I think it is an underrated brand. They use Elabore grade movements. The trick is I figure out which crown position is best and put them in that position overnight to self regulate. For the mido it's crown up to slow it down. I also just got a Chris Ward running at 3s/day. Not bad for a Sellita movement and under $1k.
    I'm excited to purchase my first Omega but it would be a bit disappointing if it was less accurate then my Mido. I've had a few seikos that I've had to get rid of because they were such a mixed bag in terms of accuracy.

20. Reddy_Kilowatt Dec 24, 2018

You do know that +1s/d is a pretty fortunate result, right? And that expecting every watch that costs more than that one to be as accurate or more accurate is a fool's errand?

blubarb, Davidt and Foo2rama like this.