Forums Latest Members

What's The Story On The Zenith <-> Favre Leuba Connection?

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 20, 2013

Just saw this rather expensive piece on ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Fav...654966385?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item48547a9a71Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

And while I don't know much at all about Fabre Leuba, I've heard the name used in connection with Zenith, as this seller does quite a few times, were they sourcing movements or something from Zenith?

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 20, 2013

In the case of the piece on ebay, there is no connection at all - completely imagined by the seller.

Here is my impression formed over the years: Favre-Leuba was a watch company that also functioned as a retailer in certain countries, notably India. In their retailer capacity, they also apparently carried Zeniths, which are co-branded Favre-Leuba. Zeniths so branded are - best that I can tell - entirely Zeniths, stock products from the factory in LeLocle. Favre-Leuba also made its own watches, which have nothing to do with Zenith.

The best modern example is probably something like Tiffany. You can get a Tiffany watch, which is made with a movement sourced from some supplier and assembled who knows where, but you can also get a Rolex or a Patek with Tiffany on the dial, that is a 100% Rolex or Patek product but for the addition to the dial. The difference of course is that Tiffany is mainly a retailer, and Favre-Leuba was mainly a watch company.

3. woodwkr2 Apr 20, 2013

I believe that it was one of the leading retailers in Cuba as well.

4. John Chris Il Duca de Luca Apr 20, 2013

And, as far as I can tell, Zenith had nothing to do with the watch on offer on eBay. F-L and Zenith came together most notably in the selling of the cal. 135, many of which were double-branded and marketed by F-L. But the name Zenith was always on the dial and on the movement. They always looked the same as the pure Zenith, but with the addition of Favre-Leuba on the dial. This eBay offer is marked only Favre-Leuba on both dial and movement and corresponds to no known Zenith model as far as I can tell.

5. John Chris Il Duca de Luca Apr 22, 2013

Copied from another post I made on this watch:

It may be a decent watch for all I know, but it has nothing to do with Zenith. When I asked the seller on what he based his claim that this was a "Favre-Leuba by Zenith", he responded that Favre-Leuba was to Zenith as Tudor is to Rolex. Complete rot; there was no such interconnection. Just a brief marketing relationship whereby Zenith added "Favre-Leuba" to the dials (along with "Zenith") of a few watches, most notably cal 135s, that it permitted F-L to market. Possibly the seller assumes that because the founder of Zenith was Georges Favre-Jacot, he must also have founded Favre-Leuba. Nope. Favre-Leuba was founded well before Georges Favre-Jacot came along, and he had nothing to do with the company.

6. michael22 Apr 25, 2017

I saw a "Favre Leuba Eterna matic' on eBay last week.
    Did a bit of a double take when I saw it, but on close inspection it was a redial.

Perhaps a new fashion amongst the faker community is to call everything a Favre Leuba of some kind.

7. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 25, 2017

Fabre-Leuba was simply a distributor of Zenith Watches in India prior to WWII.

[​IMG]

FL distributed other brands as well. I've seen very early FL branded Jaeger-LeCoultre Reversos for example.

Later on, FL commission their own unique products from Swiss manufacturers for sale in India and elsewhere.

Hope this helps.
    gatorcpa

Jensonslog, hoopvol and castor111 like this.