Forums Latest Members
  1. novina Jul 1, 2016

So I have been wanting t get a Speedmaster but those I want are slightly out of reach. But by being here I have also developed a liking of the Seamasters that came with the 321. So I happen to like that style and I have seen it repeated in several makes, one being Breitling. And the Breitling seems to be more affordable than the Seamaster. The following pictures are the style I seem to like the most. So we get to the point what is the difference between this:

[​IMG]

And this?

[​IMG]

Besides being a bigger picture of course. All input is appreciated as always.

Thanks,
    Rob

Photos courtesy of the web

2. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jul 1, 2016

Could be a Venus 175 movement in the Breitling. I doubt it'd the V188 but it could be.

3. CanberraOmega Rabbitohs and Whisky Supporter Jul 1, 2016

Also, the omega there is a cal 320, not 321.

4. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 1, 2016

A 321 has 3 subdials ;)

5. cimo Jul 1, 2016

Those 320's have intrigued me. I too find them very attractive. However I can't help but suspect the nicer examples have service dials. Considering they are pre 321 Seamasters doke of those dials are almost too good to be true.

That said, Valjoux 7733 and 7734 are two register chrono movements. You could certainly find something in that realm.

6. ulackfocus Jul 1, 2016

Don't rule out a Landeron. The 148 had wide set subdials like Breitling.

7. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 2, 2016

Not a Seamaster but it is a 320
    No service dial here :)
    There are at least 3 examples amongst members with similar dials
    image.jpeg

8. demollo Jul 2, 2016

9. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jul 2, 2016

To me one of the main differences is legibility. I have an 816 Navitimer which looks great, but from which it's very difficult to read the time. Omegas of this sort tend to be unfussy and with what I think of as a calm, classic look that's very appealing.

10. novina Jul 2, 2016

Ok, I guess I should have mentioned this is more of a generalization, not about these 2 exact watches. I love the style of the 2 or 3 register faces along with the retangular pushers. I know that there are a lot of various watches with this style I have shown above. But what I find is that I can find a Breitling for almost half the cost of an Omega Seamaster with a 321 or an Omega with 320. So I guess I'm ask if the Breitling are comparable to the Omegas? Assuming I just want the style cues? Hope this helps. So would anyone put anBreitling in their collections due to cost restrains? And would you be happy with it?

11. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 2, 2016

That certainly is a generalization. It encompasses nearly all the chronograph production from every brand over two or three decades. It's like saying you like two-door cars with tail fins. You have opened up a huge can of worms.

To narrow it down to Breitling, the Breitlings of that era were high quality watches on par mechanically with Omegas (and Minerva, Universal, Gallet, and a lot of others). That the Venus movement was more widely used pays dividends today as it is easier to find parts. Pay attention to case sizes, as Breitlings came in a huge range of sizes - that one that you offer as an example is below 34mm I believe (could be wrong - not an expert). As for case styles, they had almost as many variants as Universal.

Excellent resource here: http://breitlingsource.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=11

Vitezi and novina like this.
  12. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jul 2, 2016

My first chronograph purchase was a Breitling Model 1188 similar to the one you show. I just liked the way it looked and had seen a couple of old magazine advertisements for them featuring cyclists (I've ridden a road bike most of my life) and that was enough for me. It's a great watch, keeps almost perfect time. It's from the lower end of their range, probably gold filled and has a Venus 188 movement. I'm very happy with it. Breitling V 188_020616 1398.jpg

ulackfocus and novina like this.
  13. novina Jul 2, 2016

Thank you. This is what I was basically asking. It is sometimes hard to put my thoughts into words. It just comes down to me about the actual style and the quality of the movements within.

14. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Jul 2, 2016

Like @LouS says there were a LOT of brands. But there were relatively only a few movements. As he mentions also the Venus movements were widely used so parts can be found if needed. This Imperial has a Venus 170 and has the sub-dials up and down. I believe Imperial was a Buren brand. Kind of rare it seems...

Imperial v170_052416 2479.jpg

novina likes this.
  15. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 2, 2016

16. novina Jul 2, 2016

Yes, I have seen it and wanted it right away. Only one problem, I do not have $3500 to drop on a watch at this time. That watch is such a beautiful example of what I want it is rediculous. See this is my point here. Many models share this design. But I have looked mostly at Breitlings, which can be had for $2000 -$2500 in the same or close to same condition. Ok maybe not as the one for sale here is a stunner. But if by style only, I can get one for less but it is not an Omega, than should I? Or just wait until I get the money to buy an Omega such as this? Collecting versus want versus actually money one can spend.
    This place is just such a bad influence on me, that my wife thinks I will neglect the house until It crumbles just to procure my wants.

17. ulackfocus Jul 2, 2016

The Hyundai Genesis shares a lot of design cues with the Mercedes S Class too. I don't know about you, but I know which one I'd want.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  18. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jul 2, 2016

So here's a non-Omega perspective. To a dyed-in-the-wool chronograph collector, it's funny you are so hung up on an Omega. And it's funny that you should resort to a Breitling as a "poor-man's" option. Are you aware that there is a whole population of circumspect, widely-experienced Breitling collectors that would chuckle politely if you suggested Brietling is in any way a second choice to Omega, of all manufacturers? OMega is a more than honorable house, but not notably a chronograph manufacturer. When I think of Omega, I think of chronometers, Constellations, Centuries, Cosmics, and only then chronographs (esp if you exclude Speedmasters). Breitling is surely a chronograph house, but well saturated with collectors and in large part because the modern brand has a certain following, rather "fully priced" in my opinion. When it comes to chronographs from the era that you seek, the chronograph collector wonders that you seem oblivious to Minerva, Angelus, Gallet, Universal, Movado, etc. All of these are more obvious options than Omega, and maybe even Breitling.

BTW, this will happen:

Foo2rama likes this.
  19. novina Jul 2, 2016

LouS, thank you for your insight on this matter. As I have only recently entered the world of Omega and vintage watches as a whole. I only have turned to Swiss Made watches in a hope to get a watch that can be repaired if needed and maintained for a long period of time. The elegance of design has taken me to the vintage markets and every time I see a chronograph as I have posted, well the need to scratch an itch happens. One that I did not have before.

That said, I would prefer an Omega Seamaster with the 321 or a non Seamaster with 320. But I do not in any breathe regard some others makers as sub par. I just have not had the opportunity to learn about them yet. Lou, you just gave me a lot of bad ides of where to look. And as My wife watches me type this, I'm sure the "now what?" is crossing her mind.

And UlackFocus, believe me, Omega will always me my core collection. But maybe not Quartz. Sorry, I like my automatics.

20. novina Jul 3, 2016

That's why I drive an Audi.