Forums Latest Members
  1. Dablitzer May 31, 2013

Came across this specimen on the bay - What's the deal with these? I think I remember from a previous thread that these are genuine and possibly Us market pieces?

image.jpg
    Is the build quality as good as typical Seamasters? I noticed it has my favourite dial furniture, like the early constellations.

Any thoughts welcomed :)

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member May 31, 2013

Norman Morris (US distributor during that time) creations. Genuine but not as sought after as the swiss cased models. Dial printing also not at the highest standard as you can see from the picture - it looks like a redial (but it's not). This ebay example also has an engraving in the caseback reducing its appeal at least for some collectors.

3. Dablitzer May 31, 2013

Thanks Mike. It does look rather lower in quality to my eyes, even at first glance. I have a problem with engravings in solid gold watches but with some Steel examples it doesn't upset me, as sometime it can be easily polished or replaced depending on the rarity of the watch of course!

Wonder what the melt value on this is...?

4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 31, 2013

Dial is original. The tip-off is the "Swiss" at the bottom, rather than "Swiss Made". This was frequently done on US-only models in the late 1950's. Some Globemasters were done this way also.

Not exactly sure why, but it could be that the dial was made in the US, along with case, so it could not be legally marked "Swiss Made".

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

5. Dablitzer May 31, 2013

Thanks Gator,

I had a feeling it was.. Good to know about it being original an that my eyes were not lying to me! I have a norman Morris globmaster with the single "Swiss" on its dial too.

Cheers