Forums Latest Members

What's the deal with MKII watches

1. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Nov 16, 2016

those guys, not the speedy MKII

http://www.xxxxxxx.com

(I have no agenda - honest question not to diss them or talk them up)

I see them every now and them used, they look nice but rather expensive for a generic ebauche-encaser. I'd compare them to Steinhart with their fable for homages, but quite a lot more $$$...

thoughts and or experiences?

thx!

Edited Nov 16, 2016
  2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 16, 2016

We tend to frown on homages here for IP reasons, MK2 among others are just a bit too close to the wind.

3. tyrantlizardrex Nov 17, 2016

They're trying to upset ALL the trademark owners aren't they?!

4. JFingers Nov 18, 2016

As an owner of three MKII's (white dialed pepsi Key West, Kingston, and Vantage) and recently sold one (LRRP Capstone), I confess I'm biased in the positive towards them. I think they're fantastic and they make me happy. The MKII forum on WUS (*gasp*) is pretty fun and can answer questions, or if you want, PM me...

Blue skies,
    -only jake

Kingston

[​IMG]

Key West

[​IMG]

Vantage

[​IMG]

Darwin likes this.
  5. tyrantlizardrex Nov 18, 2016

Oh Jake!

;)

6. JFingers Nov 18, 2016

Indeed, I do float. (not me this time, I had to supervise from the boat yesterday, RHIP).

[​IMG]

7. tyrantlizardrex Nov 18, 2016

You float, you fly... you are a witch! :D

Hope all is good with you buddy. :)

JFingers likes this.
  8. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Nov 18, 2016

thx JF for your time to answer - my question probably goes more in the direction of ... why are they so expensive (I kind of explicitly compare them to Steinhart) - which I own, hold in high regard and think is really really comparable to MKII.

If you check both do homages in really high quality using generic high qual. movements, yet MKII seems to be twice the price ...

just wondering - again no agenda here.

thx and cheers, Al

9. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 18, 2016

Please be advised that if you post homage watch links or pictures you run the risk of their being deleted if it deemed they are a knock-off of a brand.
    This decision is made by the management and may not be appealed.

Yellow.jpg

10. JFingers Nov 18, 2016

Al,
    I've never owned a Steinhart, so I don't have a good comparison. However, to me, the MKIIs are more elegant, with less "vintage-y" lume, and fit my small wrists well. Plus, the gilt, especially on the Kingston, is phenomenal. If you want, hop on over to the MKII WUS forum for more pictures and comparisons from some guys that own or have owned both.

And @cicindela: understood.

Blue skies, y'all.
    -only jake

11. meganfox17 Nov 18, 2016

Jake's right @al128 & the Kingston is 0ne of their finest ! You wont find your answers here. The microbrand has a real passionate cult following on the other side.

I have a Steinhart OVM version 1 of exceptional built & quality. Having said that , there's a saying just like Seiko that goes like this:
    " You cannot go wrong with a MK too....."

Personally expensive yes for many reasons but certainly not overpriced

Ok I'm done [emoji136] If I'm found guilty , there's a 1000 posts deduction penalty from my account [emoji14]

12. trama Nov 18, 2016

Aha! This explains why my previous thoughtful answer has been deleted. In it, I said I liked my mkii vintage Benrus inspired diver enough that it is my go to beater. It has many pleasing details and seems well executed. Hope this makes it through.

13. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Nov 18, 2016

yes - thx all ...

and to sidestep the hot "homage" topic ... any clues on why they have such a cult following?

cheers,
    Al

14. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 18, 2016

They look like Rolex from 5 feet away and cost a fraction of the price.

Non watch people are trained in some ways to the look of a Rolex, see the MKII and think that's a great looking watch and it's a deal.

Other people want the look of a sub or GMT don't want to pay the price and with so many tributes most of them have no reputation and see that MKII has a good rep so they are safe.

15. ulackfocus Nov 18, 2016

.....and they have a dedicated forum on WUS. :whistling:

watchknut and meganfox17 like this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 18, 2016

And the costs associated with that probably explain why their prices are so high...

meganfox17 likes this.
  17. ncstate1201 Nov 18, 2016

Like rolex from 5 ft away? Unless you are Manute Bol it is going to look like a MKII not a Rolex to YOU the person wearing and enjoying it. And since I am average height and I don't have the arms of a Silverback gorilla I am sticking to the real thing, but to each their own

Jwit and watchknut like this.
  18. ncstate1201 Nov 20, 2016

Someone else said it looks like rolex from 5 ft away. My point was you are the one wearing your own watch so unless you have ridiculously long arms you personally would not get the posters benefit of it looking like a rolex from 5 ft away.

19. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Nov 20, 2016

I owned one, a LRRP in DLC...looked like a Sub with a GMT hand...and DLC...so it only kind of resembled a Rolex.

It was a very nice watch for what it was.

Where I was irked was when I emailed MKII about getting info on the watch, as it was a custom order...I knew that the MKII nuts would want all of the gory details of the "build".

Much to my surprise, their customer service head was a complete jackass, and said that the hands were wrong and it wasn't their DLC. They wouldn't give me any info on the watch since I wasn't the original owner.

I emailed the seller, who was the original owner, and he dug up an email from MKIV which I forwarded to them...and their tune changed.

I sold the watch, made a nice chunk of change, and vowed never to deal with that company again.

They are very well made though.