Forums Latest Members

what's the deal with 321's serial being "near" a famous astronaut's serial?

1. teenagediplomat Oct 20, 2014

is there really a collectable niche to this? so much so that it'd command a 35-50% premium? I'm not sure that matching #'s mustang's produced within 1-2k of McQueen's in Bullit fetch that kinda mark up.. this is the 2nd time I've seen someone making claims to serials near Aldrin's hence why I'm bothering to ask you all in the first place

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-321-S...580802912?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item33973ebb60Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 20, 2014

Sellers try to create higher price market with ANY excuse.
    Oxidized/Corroded coating in your dial : Tropical
    Aging and discolored of lume: Patina
    Fade out color of bezel: Ghost bezel

Some get bought, some others don't. Only time will tell whether that price premium justifiable.
    I myself will not buy that story

sarir97, George.A, Beefylugs and 2 others like this.
  3. alam Oct 20, 2014

Is eBay, the store of the very "rare" and "unique" items! Is nice but I'll defer to others if it's 7k-nice.

4. teenagediplomat Oct 20, 2014

Privateday7 this is very common in the guitar/amp world as well.. anything with chipped paint or damage = mojo

tpatta likes this.
  5. Buck2466 Oct 20, 2014

I know mine is within a couple hundred of Collins', which is cool to me, but doesn't mean squat to most people. :)

6. repoman Oct 20, 2014

IMHO, its a silly claim that the serial adds value to the watch, but hey, its ebay so why not. It's a very nice '67, in particular that bezel is gorgeous, but I wouldn't pay $7500. More interesting is how the seller emphasizes its never been serviced - yikes! A 47yr old watch that's never been serviced? I also agree with the comment on the auction that it looks relumed, which calls into question its service history. Still, somebody may some stretch value here and go for it, should be interesting to "watch" this one.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 20, 2014

Its rather fitting really as Collins only got within a couple of hundred of the moon ;)

8. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 21, 2014

Now if you and Buzz bought your Speedy from the same Houston dealer on the same day, together, on the same sale receipt and Buzz signed for the watches................you might just have something there :whistling:

SpikiSpikester and lando like this.
  9. teenagediplomat Oct 21, 2014

not sure how many OF members have purchased straps from Bulang & Sons but he deals in vintage guitars now and has a Les Paul for sale that was owned by Dickie Betts, given to Dangerous Dan Toler and now is held by B&S, with all supporting documentation. The guitar for it's age is worth 6 figures in it's condition, all the support means it's price is an "inquire within" amount which I have no business asking but is probably around $400,000... maybe Aldrin's watch would fetch that on the black market it's been shuttled off to..

10. teenagediplomat Oct 29, 2014

Privateday7 re: your comment "Oxidized/Corroded coating in your dial : Tropical, Aging and discolored of lume: Patina"
    check out this "tropical chocolate brown" dial.. is it just me, or does it look like it's been relumed with watercolors

$_57.JPG
  11. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Oct 29, 2014

I think there is water leakage in the lume.