Forums Latest Members

What's the consensus on the Speedmaster white side of the moon?

1. alecela Jan 6, 2016

I'm strangely attracted to the white side of the moon although the whole concept of white strap + white dial + white ceramic case was never appealing in my head! To me it seems like a more suitable combo for my wife but funny enough it's growing on me...

So what's the general consensus on this piece? I'll be especially curious about the thoughts from the gents here... Tx in advance.

2. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jan 6, 2016

Crickets

Baz9614 likes this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 6, 2016

Your wife will love it......:whistling:

Baz9614, tpatta, M'Bob and 2 others like this.
  4. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jan 7, 2016

Colour considerations aside, the watch is a top-notch modern chronograph and is 100% on-par with Omega's other ceramic Speedmaster offerings.

The colour issue is a matter of personal style. I think it's safe to assume that Omega expects its white case and white strap watches to appeal more to a female clientele, but white is certainly not the exclusive realm of female watch wearers. There are some male watch wearers who have a style and personality that will fit with white. Pro golfer Bubba Watson is a good example of someone with a truly unique style and personality, and who prefers to wear a white case/white strap watch. For me, his watch fits his personality and I don't think less of him because of his choice in watch colour (though I find the design of the watch itself to be somewhat hideous).

Here's a photo of Bubba Watson wearing his Richard Mille watch (valued at about $600,000), along with the watch's designer Richard Mille.

bubba-low.jpg

5. repoman Jan 7, 2016

You ask what the "general consensus" is... from everything I've seen, I think its safe to say that the vast majority of watch people are not enamored of the WSoTM. OTOH, I have one buddy who loves it and will probably buy it. There's a Bubba Watson RM for sale on one of the forums right now for $80,000.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 7, 2016

I don't hate it, its just not as nice as the grey side or dark side.

7. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Jan 7, 2016

I guess I should say the RM "Bubba Watson" has an MSRP of $600,000 :)

8. davy26 Limited comebackability is his main concern. Jan 7, 2016

The 'look' is very un-Omega, un-Moonwatch-like. On top of being aesthetically unpleasant I feel that it's ill-advised in adulterating the existing style values of the Speedmaster family of watches. But . . . I didn't like the Tintin when I first saw it. However, over time, I've grown to be rather fond of it, though a lot of that is do with the 'back story' of the association with the character and its copyright owners and the link to the iconic rocket image. I don't think there's anything like that going on with this pallid offering!

9. lillatroll Jan 7, 2016

If you like it you buy it, I can't imagine it appealing to the masses, but perhaps that is one reason to buy it. It might also look better in real life than it does in the pictures. Personally, I could think of many more watches that appeal to me so I would not consider it, but as said, if you like it, don t worry about everyone else thinking.......... which is probably.......WTF is he wearing?::facepalm1::

10. cfw Jan 7, 2016

I think Omega is now going a stretch to far, moon watch is great, dark side is also great but white and grey? A step to far imo

11. alecela Jan 7, 2016

Thanks gents for the feedbacks! I think I got the idea!

12. M'Bob Jan 7, 2016

Bubba: "Shit, I can't believe someone took a photo of me with this thing on..."

13. vinn2 Jan 7, 2016

ill bet that photo has gone around the world now

14. abrod520 Jan 7, 2016

I think it's very cool in a futuristic, iPod / THX 1138 way. I don't think I could ever pull it off on my wrist though, but if I were absolutely made of money I'd definitely have one on a shelf to admire.
    I also don't think it matters what a bunch of dudes on a forum think about it - if you like it, go for it!

15. Andreas Jan 7, 2016

I haven't seen it in person but from the pictures it looks cheep to me. Maybe is the way the white ceramic looks in pictures.
    If i see it in person i may change my mind, don't know.
    My advise would be to go out and try one, see how it looks to you.

16. hkrauss Jan 7, 2016

My bathroom offers a lot of white ceramics ...

17. Nicked Likes the second class watches of the Proles Jan 7, 2016

It's probably the worst piece Omega will ever manufacture.
    Any sane person wouldn't shell that amount of money on such a horrible shameful piece of horology.
    Let alone a white Richard Mille..... man, where's the world going?

18. cuts33 Jan 7, 2016

When the umpteenth new side of the moon was released at Basel last year is when I started to think Omega was beginning to lose itself again.

As a long time fan of the brand, it was very disheartening.

Riviera Paradise likes this.
  19. thatonewatchdude Jan 7, 2016

I have seen it in person its very appealing visually and houses the 9300 its a great choice I would probably do away with the white strap and put the black ballistic nylon on it to add a little more character

20. shoota70 Jan 7, 2016

Omega should have fired someone over that design.

DLT222 likes this.