Forums Latest Members

What's needed to wire funds abroad from the US? US buyer perspective needed.

1. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Mar 25, 2019

Hi Folks,

One of my watches almost sold last week via the forum, but the buyer was new to the board and I got all kinds of alarm bells signals during the selling process. In the end, the deal fell through (unfortunately, as expected...) but I still am not 100.00% positive the buyer, however clumsy, might actually not have been genuine.

My main question that I would like to get your take on first is the following: What is a US bank asking from a customer to wire funds to Europe beyond IBAN / Name / Zip / City / Country? I usually also provide the BIC/SWIFT, even though I believe this is not needed, because I've been asked so many times, and it's so anodine, that I don't bother... Is a full addy usually required? I think not... but I could be wrong :)

(other questions might follow later, but years of internet forums have taught me it's better to ask one question at a tine, as threads derail plenty enough like that all the time anyway :D )

Thanks!

Paul

nonuffinkbloke likes this.
  2. ATWG Mar 25, 2019

Paul - I just literally went through this, you only need the IBAN or the account # but not both. The bank identification number (SWIFT) is also required as is the recipient address.

Best,
    -A

3. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Mar 25, 2019

Here is the info I was given by a Seller in order to be able to wire money to them in Europe: all fields below are the Seller's info:

Name:
    Title: (title of the transfer -- whatever you want to call it)
    IBAN:
    BIC/SWIFT:
    Amount:
    Bank Name:

Address of the Account Holder:
    Street:
    postal code:
    City:

Tik-Tok of Oz, sdre and JanV like this.
  4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Mar 25, 2019

Some banks do request all of that information. It is not common, but I have come across it. My bank in Portugal, and most, in my experience, require an account name, IBAN, BIC/SWIFT, and of course the amount.

ConElPueblo and sdre like this.
  5. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Mar 25, 2019

Smaller US banks are literally clueless sometimes in receiving or sending money internationally. Sometimes locally too. It because Cheques are still used, sorry I mean Checks in the USA.

As a result many of the staff simply have no idea because they have never done a bank transfer before (really). On one occasion the seller refused to give me any details for transfer, because their (three branch local bank) informed them that it was too dangerous to give out that info. ::facepalm2::

Also please remember that currency is not yours to do with as you please. You must satisfy the authorities that you are spending it in an approved way, or they will not let you. And when I say authorities, I mean the banks, as the government has sub contracted it to the banks, under threat of huge fines. KYC.

Dont believe me? Try sending $20,000 to a friend with no paperwork. Or :eek: overseas.

We are frogs, in a pot, slowly coming to the boil.

6. gostang9 Mar 25, 2019

I have used TransferWise several times. It requires a full address of the person in Europe which has always been provided by the seller. As for the bank information, it has depended by country.

Tik-Tok of Oz and ConElPueblo like this.
  7. demollo Mar 25, 2019

@Lonestar Paul you might recognize the structure of the message @BlackTalon has given. In 99% this info was sufficient for all international transactions I have made. Sometimes US banks request the bank HQ address and phone number. What for? I have no clue...

Anyway, Good luck with the sale !

BlackTalon likes this.
  8. M'Bob Mar 25, 2019

image.gif

Wryfox, Linzer, Muddlerminnow and 4 others like this.
  9. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Mar 25, 2019

[Right... thanks all for the input. It looks like it's more of a basketcase than I thought.

This was the view I naively had of the "necessary and sufficient" info needed to wire funds globally, too.

Here are other tidbits of that aborted sale, maybe you can provide some perspective on whether I was being paranoid
    - The buyer was in Glendale, CA, in the greater LA, so not quite the un-sophisticated US of A (heck, even I 've been in Glendale 2 yrs ago! :D ). [He] tried to do the transfer online. But [he] thought it is "better [to] do it at the bank.".... His bank didn't process international transfers after 1pm... He offered to "transfer the money cheaper and easier online via [his] US bank app with their serrvice with Western Union" (yes, that's the BIG alarm bell here, but then again read it twice, he doesn't say transfer with WU (which is a big no-no in my book) but that his bank is subcontracting to WU. Then "WU ha[d him] locked down to send the funds to Switzerland in CHF only" (I requested EUR initially...). Then he wanted my full addy (again, I thought IBAN/Name/Amount/Zip/City/Country was enought) and finally the buyer backed out because I didn't provide my full address fast enough as he was at the bank, physically - and sending me OF PM's (I had refused to share my whatsapp, again, as my spider senses were tingling).

Again - @Spacefruit 's post above is enlighting...

Anyway. Be safe out there.

Paul

Edited Mar 26, 2019
    auxpomme and Tik-Tok of Oz like this.
  10. valkyrie_rider Mar 25, 2019

PayPal business is generally trouble free and supposedly with more safety for both parties.

11. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Mar 25, 2019

Wire transfer had been a PITA for me. Going online, my bank caps it at $1k USD, Which doesn't get you very far in the Omega world :D. They have an option to apply for special credentials that allow you to wire larger amounts online, but I could not get it because I do not have a debit card (ATM card only for me -- debit cards are evil, especially when thiefs get one for your bank account).

So that meant going to my local bank branch to make the transfer(s). Always a mixed bag, as wire transfers just aren't used that often here in the US. Usually there was only one person in the back who knew how to do transfers, and for the last one (and the biggest to date by far) the person had just learned how..

So I finally bit the bullet and agreed to get a debit card just so I could register to do larger transfers on my own online. And of course I immediately cancelled the debit card and had a "no debit card -- ever!" note put back on my account.

What a PITA.

Lonestar and demollo like this.
  12. gostang9 Mar 25, 2019

Here is the TransferWise information screen to send EUR from USD:

712E8366-64AE-4522-9804-534B43598F01.jpeg

13. sdre Mar 25, 2019

For Singapore it's like this.

Tik-Tok of Oz likes this.
  14. redzer007 Mar 26, 2019

I have needed the address when using EU banks. Both of the account holder and of the branch. There are large restrictions and requirements to avoid international money laundering

15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 26, 2019

Have bought a ton of watches over the years and must admit it can change in a few months of what one bank will want.

Very common for US banks wanting a name and address due to Anti money laundering rules nowadays

Must admit it has taken a few days to work some transfers out over the years.

JanV likes this.
  16. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Mar 26, 2019

Very interesting, and kind of consistent with the impressions I got of what the buyer was going through... Some banks look like they could still be operating in the middle ages: If you asked them for their books you would expect them to show up with a big folder with loads of slips falling off with handwritten stuff on it. I think I'm beginning to get it.

Thanks all for the useful perspectives.

Paul

17. kov Trüffelschwein. Mar 26, 2019

:coffee: Those old-fashioned banks and bankers will really feel the pain from Revolut, TransferWise & Co.. Of course, it's only well deserved. :thumbsdown:

Spacefruit and eugeneandresson like this.
  18. Omegafanman Mar 26, 2019

For EMEA transfers I tend to always use a broker now. I was ripped off on charges and exchange rates too many times by my bank. One thing to keep in mind is what (if any) protection you have if a broker goes bust. Would be unlucky timing but they don't all have cover like a bank. Less of an issue if the funds are incoming :0)
    Reverse thinking but why not chat to a few UK companies - you might buy watches from the USA so you are not bending the truth too much that money could be flowing both ways... They handle a lot of transactions and might have some interesting advice.
    I like :-https://www.fairfx.com/
    [email protected] Tel Call: 0345 034 9998 or 020 7778 9350

Edited Mar 26, 2019
  19. ConElPueblo Mar 26, 2019

I try to avoid PP as much as possible, as their exchange rates are very poor and they add fees for transferring money from the PP balance to your bank. It has little to do with the 4% fee for my part.

I've received money by Transferwise a few times now, no issues :thumbsup:

I once typed in the OF username of the receipient on the online form by mistake. Didn't get flagged or anything :D

Tony C. likes this.
  20. Lonestar insert Schwartz joke HERE Mar 26, 2019

why am I not even surprised... :rolleyes: