Forums Latest Members
  1. Mothra Jan 24, 2014

....Damn! Opened it again. Sorry, I'm rubbish at this, and despite good intentions tear into the box like a Tasmanian devil.

WP_20140124_11_11_46_Pro.jpg

Its a brilliant looking watch, like nothing else in my box. Case is in great nick, it's running nicely, and it's on a proper Zenith strap.

However it has issues - crown is aftermarket and stem doesn't seem right. I have a suspicion the second hand should be lumed rather than what appears to be painted orange.

I'm also failing to set the date - it appears to have three positions on the crown:

1) Wind
    2) Set Hands
    3) Does nothing

Even if I wind the hands past 12 several times nothing happens. I have a sneaking suspicion the watch may not be fully serviced as described, but before I go back to the seller can someone confirm a 2572 should set date in the third position? I don't want to send this back; but I'm resigned to it spending time at the spa.

Anyone know what crown I should be looking for for one of these?

Thanks to LouS for the initial pointer on the recommended thread, (which I then spent a week praying no one else had noticed) and some helpful prepurchase qualification...

WP_20140124_11_13_41_Pro.jpg
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jan 24, 2014

Watch stems (for quality machines like this) are made to tolerances of a gnats testicle so if it isn't the correct one, it may explain the issues you're having.

Off to a trusted watchmaker I think.

BTW.....very nice. Different, but NOICE!

3. ulackfocus Jan 24, 2014

Why do I want sherbert after seeing that dial? :p

4. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jan 24, 2014

The 2572pc does have a quick-set date feature at the third position. Is it a 2572pc, not a 2562pc? I would expect a 2562pc in this model... the 2572pc does beat at 28800 per hour, but 28800 on the dial should signify a 2562 inside. Also, the date wheel should be printed black-on-white, not white on black. The orange color of the sweep-second paddle is correct for original lume on this model.

It seems that 2572's (and 2562's) were often used as service replacements for the earlier 25xx calibres. I would consider sourcing a 2562pc with a black-on-white date wheel for this one to set it right... this shouldn't be impossible. The dial and furniture are very nice, and the case looks all right. Can we see the case back? Is there a case number?

5. Mothra Jan 24, 2014

Lou did identify the 'updated' movement and the wrong colour date wheel. I stand corrected on the second hand lume that looks like my seven year old has been at it with crayons.:rolleyes: I'll definitely keep an eye out for the 2562, I'm trying to decide if I prefer white on black on the date wheel - with the white dial writing and almost black dial rim it kind of works for me and I'm surprised that wasn't standard. I'll send it to watchguy.co.uk for the date issue - Christian thinks it'll be something minor.

Sellers photo of the inside of the caseback (You can see the gap crown/case here - I assumed the crown was out from the photo, it isn't), not sure what I'm looking at in terms of references:

defycasebackouter.jpg
    Defycaseback.jpg

6. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jan 24, 2014

I agree the white on black date wheel looks pretty good.

7. Mothra Jan 24, 2014

Or at least it would if it was showing the date properly.... :)

8. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jan 24, 2014

Oh yes! the orange-pink lume paddle is one of the hallmark features of the early Defy, not to be scoffed at - one of the best features of this particular example. The movement replacement does not sound so happy though.