Forums Latest Members

Whats Happening In Hong Kong, WatchWise

1. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 19, 2019

A rambling post....

A superb high quality double red. "Hong Kong Quality" - clean dial, full case. Lovely. These trade here for about HKD400,000 which is about 30% more than any European thinks sensible and about 50% more than any American. (Huge generalization, don't get worked up:))

20190917_224536.jpg

This post is just that, a little post card from the edge, not intended as an in depth look just a little postcard of what I have seen here.

20190919_102518.jpg
    Not so crowded this visit, this road is normally jammed at this time.
    I am here for my real life, and in my spare time Ive been sniffing around watch world, and times are interesting.

Walking down Nathan Road, there is a mall where a number of second hand watch shops sit with vintage camera dealers and cheap cafes. This one shop has a few Panerais:

20190915_131502.jpg
    This particular shop has grown massively, and has six windows like this, stuffed with some very, very expensive watches, mostly Rolex and Frank Mueller. I would not like to be needing to sell a Panerai today. About two years ago it seemed every young blade in HK needed a Panerai - not now it seems.

I head further up to MK. There is a small Mall where a few watch shops have gathered, along with Japanese toys, replica weapons and, most important in these uncertain days, Riot Gear:

20190915_143720.jpg

There is a shop here that has also grown in its stock on show - but its nearly all pretty good vintage Rolex:

20190915_145213.jpg

There are 10 good vintage subs in the window, and a lot more inside. They had a little nod to the Omega Fan

20190915_142325.jpg

There are lots more things to see, retail wise in HK this is just where I whizzed around and I give you just a taste.

Then it was off into the big gem show, which also now has a few watch dealers. lots of Daytonas

20190918_131620.jpg
    And lots of slightly sad Tudor Snowflakes, like this:

20190918_131750.jpg

An interesting thing I discovered - a Thai/French company making Rolex replacement gem set Bezels.

20190917_174609.jpg
    Rolex have always had my respect for the gem bezels they make. The stones are always perfect, and set perfectly. What I mean is that all the tables are flat, the same size and line up. In addition the colours of the stones are matching where intended, or graduated in the rainbow bezels. Matching and cutting these stones is incredibly difficult, as you can see when you see the aftermarket bezels which are made in USA or China and look all wobbly.

These gem set bezels sell for about Euros 8,000.

What did I buy? Well as I said, I am supposed to be working, but I did go a bit off piste. I have always had a soft spot for Tudors and I bought these:

20190917_224723.jpg

Anyone else here ?

Post your Photos!

PS we are due for protests this weekend...I'm booked out lets see if the airport remains open

Edited by a mod Jul 10, 2021
    T03, khmt2, omegasaso12 and 40 others like this.
  2. harrymai86 Sep 19, 2019

So the16520 is 216,000HKD ?:D

3. M'Bob Sep 19, 2019

Brilliant, William. I have always heard that Hong Kong was a wristwatch Mecca, though I confess I have no insights as to why. Simply a reflection of commerce density, and thus greater local disposable income?

DaveK likes this.
  4. Chye Sep 19, 2019

I was just in HK on Tues and Wed, left early this morning!

Yes, that's a fair observation. I am wondering if the prices are intentionally set high because we are expected to bargain?

Whenever I am around the area, this shop is a must visit for me. It never ceases to amaze me - all those watches (maybe 1000s?) just displayed around carelessly in the display windows.

Did you visit the 2nd floor of the building just beside Chungking Mansions (away from Mira Place, towards Sheraton)? There's around 10 shops there selling watches, including vintage.

HKWG show - I always thought of attending one. Would you recommend going for it if I am just looking out for vintage watches?

Chye

5. wsfarrell Sep 19, 2019

$51,000 USD for a red 1680?? Sorry, can't help getting worked up.....

6. nonuffinkbloke #1 Nigel Mansell Fan Sep 19, 2019

Very interesting post William. Nice opportunity for us to 'peer over your shoulder' in HK.:)

DaveK and Nathan1967 like this.
  7. MoclovFlop Do the Electric Boogaloo. Sep 19, 2019

I go to HK twice a year and always make my rounds on the vintage spots. But prices are never as reasonable as what you can find on eBay or even forums, so the novelty wears off quickly. I'd always assumed it was because of high cost of rent and the overall higher cost of goods in HK. And since I don't have a Rolex budget, I'm always looking for other brands which aren't as plentiful since they are not as demanded.

I've only ever bought one watch in HK, my big rose Tudor Oyster Prince from Raymond Chung over in Central and I didn't have to pay HK prices because of the patina. I've definitely found great pieces at spots like Berne Horology (both locations), and they are always so friendly, so I still make the rounds regardless of cost.

I'm glad you were able to get a couple pieces! Sometimes, the hunt and experience outweigh the premium.

Screen Shot 2019-09-19 at 10.21.09 AM.png

8. MCC Sep 19, 2019

@Spacefruit I believe that shop was in Champagne court where there are several shops together. I have never seen a window display like it.

There was also a small shop in the Holiday Inn arcade in TST that had some really interesting pieces when I was there last year including an early Explorer and a full set Fat Lady GMT that was immaculate. I thought the prices were high last year and put that down to a weakened £ to HKD exchange rate (worse this year). Given your knowledge of the HK market perhaps the prices are just high.

As an aside I was also shown in one of the shops in Chunking Mansions the best replica/fake AP and Rolex I have ever seen. The guy was very open that they were fake, but the quality of them was frightening.

Hoping tha stability returns to HK soon, it is one of my favourite places :)

9. Dan S Sep 19, 2019

Thanks for the entertaining post! Service insert on the DRSD, I believe. :D

10. Evitzee Sep 19, 2019

I first went to Singapore and Hong Kong in the early '80's, way before the internet made worldwide prices instantly knowable. Watch shops were jam packed with stock just lined up side by side, lit by cheap fluorescent lighting with the ubiquitous ash tray and calculator on the counter. Vintage watches had not yet been 'discovered', it was almost all new watches which are now vintage. Customers were mostly American and European; Asians in general were not well enough off at that time to be buyers. It was nothing fancy, but a great way to liquidate stock based on volume. Those were the good old days of watch buying. Haven't been back since the turn of the century but things had already changed by that time.

watchknut and MoclovFlop like this.
  11. fbf Sep 19, 2019

i went there a few times and visited a few famous vintage watch shops. Unfortunately, i didn't find any bargain. The price is as much as any online dealers or higher. People are very nice though. The vintage shop owners are very welcoming.

12. sgrossma Sep 19, 2019

I rarely see DRSDs offered here in the US. At one point I spent a long time looking. Anything without chips in the dial or that was somewhat decent was in the $40k to 50k range. So that pricing makes sense to me. The big vintage online sellers like HQ, offer maybe like 1 every 3 months.

13. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 20, 2019

Yes that one was - next stand along had a similar one for 130,000

The first watch is a DRSD 1665.
    Mind you I saw a lot of single red 1680's for around HKD200,000. I really wonder if these are changing hands at these prices. Even HQM have them for over USD20,000

My HK friends have nothing to do. Literally. What we take for granted in some countries they have to make a great effort to do. For example its very difficult to go for a walk, particularly in solitude, or in greenery. You cant really ride a horse, take a motorcycle, go to the theatre or any number of things we take for granted. (You can do all of those things to an extent, but there is so little space, and limited cultural events compared to other large cities in the west).

So collecting is endemic. Especially of things that dont take up too much space - Art, carvings, religious bones, jade, gemstones, and of course watches. There is a competitiveness amoung these collectors, so I see watch collectors compete to have the best watch. It is very common to sit with one of my dealer friends while he sells a watch to an enormously successful person who spends literally hours inspecting the watch with a 10x loupe for any flaws at all. Hence the term Hong Kong Quality means it is flawless.

The dial of the DRSD at the top is without any damage, chipping or discoloration at all - and stands up under 10x magnification.

Even those Tudors I bought do not look like they have been worn, and the bracelets are stiff. Quite hard not to be drawn in when things are in such good condition.

Online is always cheaper. I would say the watches I see sell to local collectors never get posted on line. I would also say that as with all vintage shops around the world, mediocre watches on offer are way too expensive. I saw a ragged Ed White in a shop in Central for USD25,000 that if on OF would be torn apart and valued under 10k.

Im off to the airport tomorrow, which is now under security protocols. Lets see if I get out.

MoclovFlop, Mad Dog, incogtom and 4 others like this.
  14. M'Bob Sep 20, 2019

Thanks, great explanation and really nice scores. Instead of the losers she's been bringing home, I will try to convince my daughter to date some Hong Kong Quality men...

T03 and Mad Dog like this.
  15. Lugduno Sep 21, 2019

I came back to Europe after a longer work stay in Hong Kong a few months ago I must admit I really miss the watches of that city. The completely crazy stock of vintage or pre-owned pieces together with all major brands having x amount of boutiques in the city. For all you watch fans: you should definitely try to go there if nothing else just for some nice watch spotting.

16. VintageWatchIta Sep 21, 2019

Thank you for this sharing, I've heard that prices there are a bit crazy :) but it is really a watches Mecca!

17. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Sep 21, 2019

I was like you and searched high and low for a decent US DRSD...found one on The Real Real of all places for a bargain.

Great post Spacefruit...very interesting.

A2F7B7BD-48E2-417F-A3BA-5889CAFD0A63.jpeg

TNTwatch and Dan S like this.
  18. harrymai86 Sep 21, 2019

A 16520 at 130,000 HKD is quite reasonable IMO even online or forums

19. chows99 Oct 28, 2019

A black 16520 is at least 22k USD nowadays....