Forums Latest Members

What writing program can one download easily?

1. janice&fred Jul 16, 2020

I remember back a few years ago computers came loaded up with programs already installed including something to write common stuff like a resume or term paper, etc. Both laptops we recently bought don't seem to have anything usable for this. Can anyone suggest the easiest to download and use program for simply typing out a document and saving it along with for printing? :)

2. No Mercy Jul 16, 2020

ChiefMark, Alpha, DSotW and 2 others like this.
  3. Dan S Jul 16, 2020

Google docs. Cloud-based, so no downloading necessary. If you have a google/gmail account, you already have access to it.

TDBK, DaveK, janice&fred and 4 others like this.
  4. DSotW Jul 16, 2020

LibreOffice is, in some circles, considered better than OpenOffice. I have it on my Linux machines, can highly recommend it. It's 100% free to download and use.

5. SkunkPrince Jul 16, 2020

Your PC has Wordpad on it, almost certainly. That should be good enough for most things.

janice&fred likes this.
  6. connieseamaster Jul 16, 2020

I wrote my master's thesis using LibreOffice and my advisor couldn't tell the difference from Word. The Excel analog isn't as powerful, but it gets the job done for basic tasks.

janice&fred likes this.
  7. MRC Jul 16, 2020

The circles that trust Adobe even less than Microsoft :( LibreOffice is very comprehensive, but could be a bit heavy-duty. (Anyone remember its great-grandfather Star Office? Made suppliers of memory chips very happy :eek: )

I was going to suggest Abiword which is lightweight and perfectly fine for writing letters and uncomplicated documents, but the MS-Windows version is not being maintained. Still good for Penguinistas though.

No way I put anything in the "The Cloud" that I might not want anyone else to read or even that I might want to read again years later. If you want to type 'n print and that's the last you will ever need, then OK.

janice&fred likes this.
  8. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Jul 16, 2020

Yes another like for Open Office, works fine and constantly upgraded :thumbsup:
    Edited to ad that I use a Mac as if I would know if that made a difference or not ::facepalm2::

9. janice&fred Jul 16, 2020

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I think the issue with my laptop is I tried to download that apache program suggested in this thread earlier today and I got a notification that I couldn't run the program unless I changed some setting in my operating system or whatever and I couldn't change it back if I did. The notification said the only programs allowed must come from the microsoft store.

10. Dan S Jul 16, 2020

Sounds like the government ought to do some sort of antitrust investigation of Microsoft. Oh wait ...

akshayluc420 likes this.
  11. Walrus Jul 16, 2020

They tried and realized gates could have just moved the company to Ireland etc. they backed off a bit. Now that it’s a trillion dollar company we will see what’s next

Alpha likes this.
  12. connieseamaster Jul 17, 2020

You are probably running Windows 10 Home in S Mode. It's Microsoft's attempt at the Apple sandbox.

Very easy (and free) to switch out of that into full Windows 10: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4456067/windows-10-switch-out-of-s-mode

janice&fred likes this.
  13. shishy www.hpmor.com Jul 17, 2020

join the enlightened ones

use org

(Just kidding, not actually recommending that. +1 libre)

14. janice&fred Jul 17, 2020

Ah thanks for the info. Yes it said "S" mode and made it seem like it would be a bad idea to switch out of that. So there is no down side to switching out of this S mode?

15. SkunkPrince Jul 17, 2020

It means "Safe" mode and was intended for troubleshooting because it gave you a minimal working system. If you want to get what you pay for, you definitely need to get out of Safe mode. Then try Wordpad. :D

16. connieseamaster Jul 17, 2020

None. You'll still get all of the updates and what not, you'll just have a bit more control over what you can do to your system (ie install programs that aren't in the Microsoft App Store) and schedule updates so that they don't always force your computer to restart randomly.

S mode is for the people who still click on popup ads and really only need a Chromebook. But it's generally sold to OEMs cheaper than fully Win 10 Home licenses, so a lot of laptops have it as default.

janice&fred likes this.
  17. janice&fred Jul 17, 2020

Wow thanks for the tip and I will get to that and be able now to download the writing programs you and others have suggested! :)

connieseamaster likes this.
  18. SkunkPrince Jul 17, 2020

By the way, if you're an old Unix guy like me... you can download "vim", which is an enhanced version of vi.

19. janice&fred Jul 17, 2020

Thanks but I'm about the dumbest when it comes to computers and wouldn't know unix from punix!

20. SkunkPrince Jul 17, 2020

Never mind, then!

What hasn't been mentioned is that you can purchase a license for Microsoft Office for about $150, if you want the "real thing".