Forums Latest Members

What Would Be The Right Price For A 2254.50 In This Condition?

1. mihaixp May 24, 2013

Hello.

I have the opportunity to buy an Omega 2254.50. The problem is that the watch doesn't come with boxes or papers of any kind (so it's head and bracelet only).
    Still, the seller is a reputable one so authenticity it's not an issue.
    The watch is on its original bracelet and is in good condition (aesthetically) and working well but there is no service history.

What do you think it's the right price for the aforementioned watch?

Thanks in advance,
    Mihai

2. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member May 24, 2013

mihaixp and SpikiSpikester like this.
  3. mihaixp May 24, 2013

That CONUS really does it for me (in the sense that makes it unavailable for me). But thanks for the reference.
    So, if approximately $2.3k buys you a more or less LNIB (with warranty) 2254, what should be the price for one with nothing except the watch itself and no service history?

4. pascs May 24, 2013

5. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices May 24, 2013

I have one listed here as WTT with a non-AC dial, complete with extras, take I'll make you a fair deal ;-) Miki

6. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member May 24, 2013

Honestly.... for the 300 difference it's a no brainer. The watch your looking at without box and papers is prob fine but to have one thats had a fresh service, box and papers and from a legit seller with more feedback than eBay could handle its worth the 300.

Not sure why CONUS is not for you? Where are you located?

7. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter May 24, 2013

careful of the listing:

"Serial numbers are missing but all is guaranteed authentic"

8. ulackfocus May 24, 2013

That's probably from a grey market dealer selling it. While the watch is probably authentic, many times the grey market sellers will grind off the serial numbers so Omega can't trace what AD sold them the watch out the back door.

9. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter May 24, 2013

True. The sad thing is that you also need to check the movement to see if it was ground off there too because if so Omega won't touch it. Usually get a good price for such watches but then again I wouldn't stock anything without a serial.

10. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member May 24, 2013

WOW - Will the real Slim Shady please stand up!

11. ulackfocus May 24, 2013

No, it's not really terribly shady - just how things are done in the grey market.

12. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member May 24, 2013

I know but could not resist!

13. mihaixp May 24, 2013

The watch I asked about is advertised locally (by the way, I updated my account with my location - Bucharest, Romania) for a sum of 1500 Euros (~1900USD) which is a really high price just for the watch, and without no service history. I asked because I'd like to make him an offer but I still don't know which is the fair proposition price.

PS: Even if the seller offered International shipping, VAT(24%) + Customs(~5%) would increase the price considerably. That's why I'm not very eager to buy the watch from outside EU.

14. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe May 24, 2013

In Jakarta, without box and paper the 2254.50 fetch between USD 1400-1600 depend on the condition. Add 100-200 for box, paper and service guarantee from store.

15. Spy You know my name. May 25, 2013

Keep searching for a 2254. The average price I have observed these watches sell for is about $2,000 USD with everything. Never buy a watch without serial numbers.

[​IMG]

16. Pbmatt May 30, 2013

I agree that you never want to buy a nice watch without a serial number. As I understand it, Omega will not service the watch which for most is not a problem but it is nice to have the option if you need it. As for price, the market has gotten very soft as of late. I recently bought a mint 2254.50 with the non-AC dial mod (and original parts) with boxes and papers for $1650. I also picked up a 2255.80 serviced and in mint condition with boxes and papers for $1415. It's a great time to be a buyer because you can get nice piece for less than you think.

17. ulackfocus May 30, 2013

Geez, not too long ago you could buy these for $1200 - $1350 depending on if it came with box & papers or not.

18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 30, 2013

Well, yes and no - it depends on a few factors actually. It depends if the serial number has been removed from both the case and movement, if the watch is still in production or not, etc. There are cases where they will service watches that have had for example the case serial number removed, but it's still on the movement. All the scenarios are outlined in Omegas Customer Service Policy document.

Cheers, Al

Doc Savage likes this.
  19. Pbmatt May 30, 2013

Thanks Al, Good to know. I try to avoid Omega for service when I can but local watchmakers here in Connecticut will not service modern Omegas (or most other Swiss brands other than Rolex) because they claim that they cannot get parts including seals and gaskets and therefore cannot guarantee water resistance. Is this true or do they just prefer not to work on modern Swiss watches. I have been looking for a good watchmaker in the Connecticut/New England area. If you or anyone else has any suggestions, please let me know.

Cheers, Pete

20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 30, 2013

I can't say why they won't work on Omegas. I do find that sometimes guys who work on Rolex are very single minded, and only want to work on what they are familiar with. Personally I would find that pretty boring.

You have to have an Omega account to get parts from Omega, but assuming they have Rolex accounts, it should not be a big deal to get the additional equipment and training needed to have an Omega account.

Cheers, Al